Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default radial arm vs. miter

"Martie in MO" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wow! You must have had a real bad experience with a RAS Robatoy. I've
had mine for more than twenty years and have used it extensively for
cross-cutting, ripping and dadoing from 1 by stock to 4 X 4 stock and
sheet goods. I've never had an accident with this saw, not because I
was lucky, but because I know how to use it and because I strictly
adhere to and follow the correct procedures when using it. Safety
first!!! For example,why would you pull the saw into the stock toward
you rather than pushing it into the stock away from you which is the
preferred and safe method?

Because that is the correct way to cut wood on a RAS. The saw can lift the
wood up as you push it. And DO NOT think that because you have not had an
accident yet is strictly because you adhere to what ever safety rules that
you follow. Following safety rules guarantees nothing.

I don't know of any power tool, electric or
pneumatic, that is inherently safe since they are all capable of
injuring, maiming or even killing a careless or unqualified user.

Or any one else for that matter. If you think you can prevent all accidents
that could possibly happen you simply are not old enough yet to understand
how wrong you are.