Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

Default radial arm vs. miter

On 20 Mar 2006 12:14:32 -0800, "Martie in MO"
wrote:

...because I know how to use it and because I strictly
adhere to and follow the correct procedures when using it.

Doesn't sound like it to me. See below.

For example,why would you pull the saw into the stock toward
you rather than pushing it into the stock away from you which is the
preferred and safe method?

Uh, I don't know where you learned to use a RAS, but you always pull
the carriage through the stock (on crosscuts--rips, obviously, are
done with the carriage locked in position). It is potentially
extraordinarily dangerous to try and work with a RAS by pushing the
carriage through the work.

Now, if you're secretly Bruce Johnson in disguise, then you're
probably talking about a SCMS, with which many people do push the
carriage through the work. The HUGE difference between the two that
not only makes it possible, but even safe, with the SCMS is because
you can lift the blade to pull the carriage over the work before
pushing it down and back through the cut.

By the way, don't take my word for this--look at virtually any book or
instruction manual for a radial arm saw published in the last 50 years
to verify what I've said. Wally Kunkel's book is a good example. I can
scan and email the details from my users manual for my 1972 Sears RAS
if you'd like.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.