Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

Default radial arm vs. miter

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 07:18:00 -0500, "Joseph Handy"
wrote:

I was wondering which is the preferred saw for crosscuts the radial arm or
the the compound miter saw. What the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Joseph

These two saws have their specific strengths and weaknesses. A miter
saw (or chopsaw) is the preferred saw for crosscutting, and probably
more popular due to its portability, accuracy, and cost. A radial arm
saw can cut dados (miter saw can not), but can get out of adjustment
more easily than a miter saw. Some woodworkers claim you can rip on a
radial arm saw, but it is no substitute for a table saw. If I had to
pick between a compound miter and radial arm, I would not hesitate to
pick the miter saw over the radial arm saw.