Posted to rec.woodworking
Martie in MO

Default radial arm vs. miter

Joseph, you specifically mention crosscutting and no other application.
For crosscutting only, you can't beat a CMS for accurarcy and
portability although you are limited in capacity. I have used both for
a number of years and as with any tool, both have their strengths and
weaknesses. But you only mention crosscutting so I won't address the
vesatility of a RAS. Without knowing what your application willl be,
my recommendation would be to buy a CMS with a 12 inch blade. This
will give you a lot of versatility for easily crosscutting and mitering
stock up to 12 inch width and including 4 X 4 stock. 10" miter saws
are super for smaller stocks but I can tell you from having previously
owned one that you'll be glad you spent the extra bucks to buy a 12"
model. Don't cut corners on price and do your homework - read the
available reviews. Consider that when using a CMS, you'll need
supports on both ends when crosscutting stock where you'll end up a 18"
or more of material (this is added cost). Premium 12" blades ain't
cheap! I wouldn't consider anything less than a very good carbide
tipped blade, depending on your application of course. While a laser
guide isn't an absolute necessity, manufacturers of the better quality
CMS saws are integrating them into their saws. If you can get one, I
would recommend it for ease of use an accuracy. Speaking of accuracy,
both my RAS and miter saw are dead on accurate. Not because they are
made that way, but because I keep them that way. I haven't found a
saw, including my stationary cabinet saw, that doesn't need a minor
tweak every now and then to ensure dead on accuracy - some require them
more frequently than others, even the premium saws. Some just less
than others. CMS or regular MS if moved around a lot, work site to
work site, garage to driveway, etc., will require regular checking and
likely some minor adjusting to ensure their accuracy. When making you
buying decision, keep ease of blade changing and ease of maintenance in
mind.