Posted to rec.woodworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default Small Workshops

I would be interested in hearing and seeing examples of very small
workshops (closets/small apartments/small bedrooms) and how people have
adapted a workshop to a very small space. Pictures or links to pictures
would be great. I would think the challenges of lighting, ventilation,
power, dust control and space would create some interesting solutions.
Any articles that discuss this subject would also be welcome.

Thanks for any contributions you might offer.

TMT

Posted to rec.woodworking

Search for "Little Shop Mark II". It was a project in Popular
Woodworking.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

Hmm, that's a good idea; I'll take some pics and post them on a
site today. Frist set will be "in use" as it now, and I'll
follow that with the constant "pickups" afterwards.

Hope this thread works - sounds interesting, to me at least.

Pop

Going Shopping? See The
North Country's (not so) Secret Shopper
at www.twaynesdomain.com

..
oups.com...
:
: Thanks for any contributions you might offer.
:
: TMT
:

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

I would be interested in hearing and seeing examples of very small workshops

I'm currently renting an apartment (top half of a house) but there's a
little workshop space in the basement that the landlord graciously said
I could use. It apparently used to be the coal room (house was built
in the early 1900's). So I frequently retire to my sub-100-sq-foot
shop to relax and work (that sounds like an oxymoron, doesn't it?).
Anyway, I'm not sure about posting pictures yet, but I'll describe my
shop layout a little bit (warning - this gets long). Workbench takes
6ft of one long wall (el-cheapo kit deal, constructed and used/abused
by previous owner or renter). Lots of scraps live under the workbench.
Next to that is my home-made router table, mounted in my B&D Workmate.
In the corner is a trash can and more scraps. Along the other long
wall, there's a set of shelves where my portable power tools live,
along with organizer containers for screws, nails, bolts, hardware,
etc. Then my 10" bandsaw on its own stand with a mobile base, a
dehumidifier for summer and radiant heater for winter, and sheet-goods
storage (mostly less than 4' square). The door is in the middle of one
of the short walls, and my drill press (old old Atlas bench-top model -
built like a tank) is on a customized rolling tool cabinet that's
usually along the other short wall. The shop vac gets pushed to
whatever floor space isn't being used, or near the router table or
bandsaw to serve as dust collection there. I also made an air cleaner
from an old dryer motor/blower and furnace filters that hangs from the
ceiling. Most of the walls are lined with pegboard, so almost anything
that can hang, does. There's almost no open wall space. The 'ceiling'
(1st floor's exposed floor joists) is also used for storage - lots of
screws and nails with stuff hanging there or resting between joists,
including a set of sawhorses. Clamps are mostly hanging from nails,
conduit, or water pipes in the ceiling. The drill press table and
router table often serve as bench space at least for storage (no
planing or hammering on those). Router table has sub-fences so it can
serve as a jointer for small stock. Nothing valuable sits directly on
the floor (other than tool stands, obviously), as flooding has been an
issue in the past in this neighborhood.
Obviously no room for a table saw, but I've found that most of my
cutting can be done very effectively with a handheld circ saw, bandsaw,
and Bosch 1590 jigsaw. Sometimes I have to leave the door open and put
the roller outfeed stand outside if I'm bandsawing or routing something
of any length. I'm set to inherit an old Rockwell cabinet saw as soon
as I have space for it (hopefully moving to a real house within the
next year).
For me, noise (with a neighbor above the shop) is a bigger issue than
space. My job is flexible enough that I can do power tool work during
the day sometimes, and I've gotten to appreciate hand planing and
scraping quite a bit recently as well. It's interesting, though, to
listen to the neighbor's TV shows while I'm planing away...
For lighting, I make do with a 48" shoplight and a 100 watt bulb. One
of these days I'll take a little battery headlamp downstairs for times
when that isn't sufficient. One tiny ground-level window doesn't let
in much light.
As far as power, I have one heavy extension cord from a 20-amp circuit
designated for the washing machine that I use for most power tools, and
an outlet by the overhead light that I use for the heater and air
cleaner. Bandsaw+shopvac or router+shopvac are the biggest draws, and
the one 20-amp circuit can handle those no problem.
Finishing is often done in the bathroom upstairs, because it's heated
and has an exhaust fan, unlike the basement shop. SWMBO laughs at me
for that, but as long as I check with her first, she doesn't mind.
Most finishes and glues are stored upstairs so they don't get too cold
in the winter.
In conclusion, I'd say my "solutions" to limited space are hanging
almost everything on the walls or from the ceiling, and putting
everything that can't be hung on wheels. I hope this was somewhat
useful (or at least not too boring) to other small-shopped woodworkers.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Wed, Jan 25, 2006, 8:01am (EST-3)
(Too_Many_Tools) doth wondereth:
I would be interested in hearing and seeing examples of very small
workshops snip

Depends on what you consider very small. I've heard people bitch
about "only" having a two-car garage to work in. I've known people who
made furniture for a living in a one car garage - but never any bitching
about it. My shop's 8X12. Started out using a Shopsmith, then figured
out how to put in stand-alone tools. Now have, 37" HF wood lathe,
shopmade stand; 10" HF benchsaw, saw sled, shapmade stand, carbide
tipped blade; HF bench drill press, on side shelf zero runout;
Craftsman bench bandsaw, on side shelf; router table, on shelf below
bandsaw, Craftsman router; Craftsman scrollsaw, on shelf below drill
press; Delta planer, shopmade stand; 4 ft chainsawn carved Tiki, by me;
arc welder on cart; and various hand power and non-power tools. Move
the planer, saw, lathe to use; sit to use router table or scrollsaw.
The tools are on shelves, or hang from the walls or ceiling - eventually
I'll probably make drawers for most of them. Wood rack along back right
ceiling. Plus, window in the back wall, fan, heater, radio, folding
chair. Everything works well (including all the HF and Craftsman
stuff), and is all paid for.

That's what I could afford when I got it. It was a choice of get it
then, or probably never get anything. If I'd waited, I doubt I would
have any shop at all. So, I made the right choice. Accordingly, I try
to be properly grateful that I've got what I have.

Plus, I've painted most of the tools bright yellow - including the
lathe, saw, bandsaw, scrollsaw, and various hand tools. The rest will
also be eventually painted yellow.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...FFMADEPAINTED/ Probably
need to up date that.

JOAT
You only need two tools: WD-40, and duct tape. If it doesn't move and
it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

:
: Plus, I've painted most of the tools bright yellow -
including the
: lathe, saw, bandsaw, scrollsaw, and various hand tools. The
rest will
: also be eventually painted yellow.
: http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...FFMADEPAINTED/
Probably
: need to up date that.

I paint my tools also, but not all the same color. Black for
straight slots, Yellow for Phillips, Orange for R&P, Red for huge
of either family. Anything I might lay down somewhere or that
stores near similar things gets colored to something that feels
"logical" to me (not anyone else). I've even color coded my
wrenches and sockets with the resistor color codes, since I'll
never forget bad boys rape young girls but violet gives
willingly.
I just like to make things easily visible for grabbing without
having to squint to see the sizes/types of things. Fortunatelyt
I haven't had to paint the table saw, drill press, etc. yet ;-}.
We share a lot of body problems from the sound of it, so I know
you understand.

Pop

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

How about a garage? Not small enough??

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Pop wrote:
I've even color coded my
wrenches and sockets with the resistor color codes, since I'll
never forget bad boys rape young girls but violet gives
willingly.

My high-school electronics teacher could, of course, only offer us the
"clean" version:

"Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls Behind Victory Garden Walls."

So much for clean. And ya left out orange.

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Enoch Root" wrote in message
Pop wrote:
I've even color coded my
wrenches and sockets with the resistor color codes, since I'll
never forget bad boys rape young girls but violet gives
willingly.

My high-school electronics teacher could, of course, only offer us the
"clean" version:

"Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls Behind Victory Garden Walls."

So much for clean. And ya left out orange.

LOL ... There was a boatload of tests I would not have passed if it hadn't
been for mnemonics: "Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel Virgin Girls Vaginas Always
Helps " ... for those who took biology and can still remember the names of
the cranial nerves because of that one. Or "Never Lower Tilly's Pants,
Grandma Might Come Home" for the wrist bones.

And of course, there were milder versions for the few women professors of
the day.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeMac

I've managed to wedge most of my stuff into the unfinished basement of my
rental house, basically a 12' x 11' area, with storage under the stairs.

http://woodblog.sitestrong.com

Mike

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would be interested in hearing and seeing examples of very small
workshops (closets/small apartments/small bedrooms) and how people have
adapted a workshop to a very small space. Pictures or links to pictures
would be great. I would think the challenges of lighting, ventilation,
power, dust control and space would create some interesting solutions.
Any articles that discuss this subject would also be welcome.

Thanks for any contributions you might offer.

TMT

Posted to rec.woodworking
Australopithecus scobis

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:17:29 +0000, Pop opined:

since I'll
never forget bad boys rape young girls but violet gives
willingly.

bad boys rape OUR young girls but violet gives willingly.
^^^
Looks like you forgot...

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Went over to the older son's place today, to check out the leanto
he added to the side of his shes, among other reasons.

Pretty damn neat job. Four 4X4 posts, two just next to the shed,
then two laminated 2X12s running on the posts running along the shed,
and the two outside posts. Then 2X4s running from the shed to the outer
2X12, topped with chipboard, and shingles. He'll probably panel in the
back and side later.

Checked out his shed while I was there. It's only 10X14, but
versus my 8X12, it's seemingly awash with space. Couple that with the
leanto, which is about another 10X14, and he's got a warehouse, compared
to my space.

He's probably got less than $75 tied up in the leanto. He bought
the 2X4s, 4X4s, some sacrete, and chipboard. He was able to scavange
shingles (new) from some of his job sites - he didn't try to match
colors or anything. He used screws to hold the shingles to his metal
roof. And, later may shingle the rest of the roof too. His brother
gave him the two 2X12s, used, and also salvaged. I'm now thinking about
maybe putting a leanto on at least one side of "my" shop. Thst would
double, or more, my work space, and if I did "both" sides, that could
give me a nice sized wood storage, and drying, space, too. Life is
basically good.

JOAT
You only need two tools: WD-40, and duct tape. If it doesn't move and
it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

Well, I didn't get the pics posted that I threatened to, for lots
of reasons. But this time, instead of excuses, here's a link to
some pics of my tiny workshop. It's an odd shape, about 7' x 8'
x 6' (Including door to outdoors) x abt 8' with a door into the
house in the middle of that.
Pics are located at:
http://www.twaynesdomain.com/GarageS.../smallest.html
If that URL wraps on you, you might have to copy/paste it to get
it to work; sorry, not sure what my client's set for at the
moment, to be certain wrapped links still work. .

It's not exactly what the OP wanted, but it does serve its
purpose.
As for light, the far wall has two large windows, and I have one
celing light near the entry door. Ventilation? No problem; just
open the door going outside. Heat? No problem, just open the
door going into the house. Dust Control? Mmm, well, that's kind
of a problem; I do have a vacuum I keep handy and use it a lot.
Wife forces me to if I want to sleep at night g. Or, well, u
kno. Anything that'll hang is hung, wedged, or somehow stuck to
a wall or the ceiling or stuffed into a little 18" jut-out in the
wall behind the table saw.

If this turns into a contest, here's my entry! ;-}

I think the best suggestions I can offer, which I actually do use
a lot, is to hang anything that will hang, even from the ceiling.
And use/make cabinets as much as possible. Any corner,
especially out of the way corners, is prime for storing something
in it. Plenty of drawers helps a lot, too.

Regards,

Pop

: .
: "Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
: oups.com...
::I would be interested in hearing and seeing examples of very
: small
:: workshops (closets/small apartments/small bedrooms) and how
: people have
:: adapted a workshop to a very small space. Pictures or links to
: pictures
:: would be great. I would think the challenges of lighting,
: ventilation,
:: power, dust control and space would create some interesting
: solutions.
:: Any articles that discuss this subject would also be welcome.
::
:: Thanks for any contributions you might offer.
::
:: TMT
::
:
:

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

"Australopithecus scobis" wrote in
message news : On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:17:29 +0000, Pop opined:
:
: since I'll
: never forget bad boys rape young girls but violet gives
: willingly.
:
: bad boys rape OUR young girls but violet gives willingly.
: ^^^
: Looks like you forgot...
:
DANG IT!! I learned that so many years ago I thought I couldn't
mess it up if I tried!

Good catch!
lol