Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default Small Workshops

Wed, Jan 25, 2006, 8:01am (EST-3)
(Too_Many_Tools) doth wondereth:
I would be interested in hearing and seeing examples of very small
workshops snip

Depends on what you consider very small. I've heard people bitch
about "only" having a two-car garage to work in. I've known people who
made furniture for a living in a one car garage - but never any bitching
about it. My shop's 8X12. Started out using a Shopsmith, then figured
out how to put in stand-alone tools. Now have, 37" HF wood lathe,
shopmade stand; 10" HF benchsaw, saw sled, shapmade stand, carbide
tipped blade; HF bench drill press, on side shelf zero runout;
Craftsman bench bandsaw, on side shelf; router table, on shelf below
bandsaw, Craftsman router; Craftsman scrollsaw, on shelf below drill
press; Delta planer, shopmade stand; 4 ft chainsawn carved Tiki, by me;
arc welder on cart; and various hand power and non-power tools. Move
the planer, saw, lathe to use; sit to use router table or scrollsaw.
The tools are on shelves, or hang from the walls or ceiling - eventually
I'll probably make drawers for most of them. Wood rack along back right
ceiling. Plus, window in the back wall, fan, heater, radio, folding
chair. Everything works well (including all the HF and Craftsman
stuff), and is all paid for.

That's what I could afford when I got it. It was a choice of get it
then, or probably never get anything. If I'd waited, I doubt I would
have any shop at all. So, I made the right choice. Accordingly, I try
to be properly grateful that I've got what I have.

Plus, I've painted most of the tools bright yellow - including the
lathe, saw, bandsaw, scrollsaw, and various hand tools. The rest will
also be eventually painted yellow.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...FFMADEPAINTED/ Probably
need to up date that.

JOAT
You only need two tools: WD-40, and duct tape. If it doesn't move and
it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.