Old February 23rd 04, 06:03 PM
Arch

Default How to 'contemporize' small bowls and boxes?

A cabinet shop gave me a zillion mahogany cut-offs. 2X6's about 10" in
length. My new Jet mini has sure had a fun workout. I've made enough
bottle stoppers to cork Napa Valley's yearly vintage, enough small bowls
to hold the world lettuce crop and enough small boxes to contain a
retirement home's bric-a-brac. I need your suggestions for ways to
embellish my 'old hat, 'same ole- same ole' usual designs. There are
lots of lists of things to make, but not so much on gussying up standard
small bowls & boxes, and what is available has been done so often that
they have become standards themselves. viz, Raffin, Stott et
al........and me!

Mahogany is bland but not unattractive. It turns easily and takes
vinegar-iron ebonizing well. It's much too good to waste, but the 2X6
size limits bowl design, at least for me.

Like the old song," I don't want to set the (art) world on fire", I
just want to make some unusual and different boxes & small bowls, Not
tops, whistles, yo-yo's and garden dibbers. Remember that I am only an
intermedite turner, whatever that is, and no, I don't want to ship the
stock to your shop. Arch

Fortiter,

Old February 23rd 04, 07:28 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

stock to your shop (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, since you have just ruled out the best option, then how about:
segmented turning, inlays, carved embellishment, hand-forged iron handles or
pedestals, reverse gluing concentric rings to form deeper bowls?

Old February 26th 04, 01:42 PM
George

Arch, as a law-abiding waterfowler uses only steel shot....

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
You could rough out bowl or box shapes, then applying Artistic License
101 from the Jackson Pollack School of Technique, shoot them with a 12
gauge. Finish turn them to thickness revealing the scatter patterned
orbs of lead. Perhaps not a food-safe item tho.

Old February 27th 04, 08:12 AM
Kevin & Theresa Miller

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
You could rough out bowl or box shapes, then applying Artistic License
101 from the Jackson Pollack School of Technique, shoot them with a 12
gauge. Finish turn them to thickness revealing the scatter patterned
orbs of lead. Perhaps not a food-safe item tho.

Bowls are water fowl? Dang. The stuff they don't teach you in school these
days. I never knew...

....Kevin
--
Kevin & Theresa Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Old February 27th 04, 05:25 PM
Owen Lowe

In article [email protected],
Kevin & Theresa Miller wrote:

Bowls are water fowl? Dang. The stuff they don't teach you in school these
days. I never knew...

Well, Kevin, I'm sure you've seen the graceful, beautiful work of Ronald
Layport...

http://www.delmano.com/Master01/Against_the_Grain/LAY-5/lay-5.html

{BTW, is it just my browser or is the Del Mano website 2 years out of
date!?!}

_____
American Association of Woodturners
Cascade Woodturners Assoc., Portland, Oregon
Northwest Woodturners, Tigard, Oregon
_____
Old February 28th 04, 05:30 AM
Kevin & Theresa Miller

Owen Lowe wrote:
In article [email protected],
Kevin & Theresa Miller wrote:
Bowls are water fowl? Dang. The stuff they don't teach you in school these
days. I never knew...

Well, Kevin, I'm sure you've seen the graceful, beautiful work of Ronald
Layport...
http://www.delmano.com/Master01/Against_the_Grain/LAY-5/lay-5.html

OK, you got me. But are *you* gonna advocate plugging that with bird shot? g

....Kevin
--
Kevin & Theresa Miller
Juneau, Alaska