Tom Watson

Default Why Do Batteries Suck So Much And When Is It Going To Stop?

Had a simple enough job to do today. Wanted to run the base, chair
rail and bed molding in our 5' x 8' bath.

I've a Paslode finish nailer but, since I don't make my living doing
this sort of thing anymore, when the extra battery fried, I didn't
replace it. I just used this sucker about two weeks ago and set the
battery in the charger when I was done, as is my habit. I took it out
the next day and put it in the box.

Today I go to fire the bad boy up and got this weak assed response
from the battery.

Batteries Suck.

I was an early adopter of battery driven drills, starting with a
troika of Makita's and currently housing a similar group of Dewalts.

In every instance I bought extra batteries, treated them according to
specs, and cursed them as they quickly degraded into too short useful
run times.

Batteries Suck.

Blought myself a nice Dell laptop about eighteen months ago and only
got one battery because, with a runtime of about four hours, I didn't
figure on needing more. Now the battery runs for about two hours -
and that ain't enough. Yes, I followed all of the instructions and
advice about how to maintain battery life.

Batteries Suck.

I'm looking into a new car, with the express intent of reducing the
cost per mile, so that my sixty miles of commuting a day will not
continue to eat my wallet.

I'd be interested in some of this current drop of hybrids, which use
batteries - except for one thing...

Batteries Suck.

watson - who is thinking about oiling up the old Yankee, cleaning the
rust off the trim hammer, and looking for a good mileage car that
doesn't rely on batteries - because...

Batteries Suck.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Jim

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

I'm looking into a new car, with the express intent of reducing the
cost per mile, so that my sixty miles of commuting a day will not
continue to eat my wallet.

I'd be interested in some of this current drop of hybrids, which use
batteries - except for one thing...

Batteries Suck.

I have heard that the batteries in these hybrids only last 6 years or so.
It costs $$$$ to replace the battery pack. The high cost of replacement
means that you will not save money by buying a hybrid.
Also, the high cost of replacement is well known to used car lot folks...
Jim

David

Tom Watson wrote:

[...]

Yes, Tom batteries SUCK. Especially Makita batteries. I've already
thrown out a couple year old 18V Makita, and now another is pretty much
shot. Those suckers are $70 a copy and I'm not happy with their
performance. I have 4 Makitas and like the tools but I get ticked every
time I go to use one and it grinds to a halt in a few moments. If
anyone knows of a good aftermarket battery for Makita products, don't
keep it a secret.

Dave
Rick M

"Roy Smith" wrote

On the wet side of the house, the modern lead-acid cell isn't much
different from a lead-acid cell from the Civil War era. The glass tank
gave way to bakelite and then to plastic, and we've got gel cells now, but
all those are minor details.

Let's see ... just since the 1970s we have gone from batteries that lasted
at best three years to batteries that routinely have a five-year warranty.
Further, I'd achieved 9+ years on a battery in my small truck ... replaced
it only because I had the opportunity (free). Current battery is 7 years old
and shows no signs of needing replacement.

The alloys used in the construction of the battery grids has changed both
the short and long term lifespan of lead acid batteries. Further, additions
to the paste, grid construction, grid alloys, and seperator construction
have lead to increased cold-crank and reserve capacities in this same
period.

Maintenance free (actually recombinant cells) that capture the gases
generated during charging, and convert them back into water have been around
about the same time ... when was the last time you checked or added water to
your car battery?

Typically put, the lead-acid battery of today has a much higher power to
weight ratio than the batteries of 30 years ago, but we tend to forget.

I'd say the lead-acid battery of today is far ahead of even 30 years ago ...
let alone when Plante first immersed two lead sheets into a mild acid
electrolyte.

In dry cells, we've gone from carbon-zinc to alkaline for primary cells

and
from NiCd to NiMH for rechargables, but again, these are incremental
improvements.

Again, NiCd cell capacity has quadrupled in the last 30 years ... 500 mA/hr
size "AA" cells were the hot ticket back in the 1970s, and today you can get
2400 mA/Hr in the same volume ( an actual 480% improvement). Yes, its an
incremental improvement ... I'd tend to call it a magnitude of order
improvement.

NiMH cells have about double the energy/lb storage capacity as NiCD cells
(you do have to remember here that we're talking about a gelled or wet-paste
electrolyte, not a flooded electrolyte NiCD cell). Again, I wouldn't call it
an incremental improvement, but again a magnitude of order improvement.
Point of fact ... can you remember when cell phones all had Lead-Acid
batteries?

Fuel cells work, but despite the occasional blather out of
Detroit and Washington, remain uneconomical for all but the most high-end
applications (i.e. space flight).

Here we are in full agreement, if only because the typical fuel cell
requires hydrogen and oxygen supplies, and it isn't practical to store
either without specialized storage and cooling. Reformer-equipped fuel cells
ARE making inroads ... in fact you can buy a reformer-equipped fuel cell
that runs off of methane (or is it butane?) to power your laptop today. It's
bigger than the laptop, but given an adequate fuel supply it's an attractive
alternative to lugging a generator around.

If you could invent a way to store electrical energy which gave a 2x
performance improvement in any of:

Energy per unit volume

Already discussed that above.

Energy per unit weight

Already discussed that above.

Manufacturing cost

Lead-acid batteries have come down in price to commodity-level priced items.
The early automobile batteries were, in some cases, rented to the auto
owner.

Useful lifetime (recharge cycles)

Here's another interesting factor ... if you plug your cell phone in every
night and recharge it (because it was run down by the end of the day), and
the battery lasted 365 cycles ... you'd be replacing the battery every year.
Many batteries are now lasting well beyond this ... some consumer batteries
are up to 700-800 cycles.

To get really large cycles (say 15,000-20,000 charge/discharge cycles), you
need only invest in nickel-hydrogen technology. Not exactly portable, since
you need a large pressure vessel for the hydrogen ... these batteries are
typically used where changing the batteries is ... uh ... difficult, say in
a geosynchronous satellite.

Environmental impact

Around 97% of the lead-acid batteries are recycled. The lead-acid battery
industry has a very tight loop ... virgin and recycled lead from the smelter
goes to the battery plant, batteries go from the plant to the consumer, old
batteries go from the consumer to the smelter. Can't get that loop any
tighter without eliminating the customer from the loop! NiCD and NiMH are
more difficult to recycle, and work continues on that front (because there
IS a lot of money in recycling these items). Most batteries escape the
recycle loop through ignorance, rather than difficulty in finding an entry
port to the recycle stream.

while holding the line on all the other factors, you would become a very
rich man in short order.

Probably not. The profit margin is paper-thin on commodity items ... if we
can make $.01 per battery made here, someone willing to work for less
overhead will allow that manufacturer to make a bit more profit. This means
the other manufacturer can/will drop prices to the point where on-shore
manufacturing goes broke. No ... the money is made by recycling, because
EVERYONE needs batteries, and ALL the manufacturers need raw (virgin or
recycled) materials to make more.

*****

Perhaps batteries suck ... I think our memory is faulty. I've had
rechargable batteries in electronics and in tools for about 30 years now,
and I find myself getting upset over the lifespan, until I recalibrate.

Energy efficiency in our equipment that uses batteries is where we need to
make a big improvement. Face it ... cell phones of even 10 years ago hogged
power ... but all they did was send and receive phone calls. As the
technology improved, the actual "telephone" current requirement dropped ...
but the marketplace demanded "toys" in addition to their telephone. Current
consumption has gone up ... in some cases as fast as battery capacity.

Regards,

Rick

TWS

snip

Batteries Suck.

Yup. My last project, framing a mirror in the bathroom, started
simple enough until I went to use my 3 year old Hitachi cordless
drill. Since their charger is 'smart' it stops charging after
reaching full charge so you can leave it in the charger as long as you
want - it won't harm the battery. Problem is - it is so smart, it
doesn't check to see that the battery self-discharged on its own while
sitting there so it doesn't charge it back up - keeping it in the
charger is useless. Two dead batteries.

So, to finish my project I have to use my VERY old 3/8 inch corded
drill with the kind of chuck that requires a key - it's also the kind
of chuck that sits pretty loose in its bearing - this doesn't have
runout - it's more like a marathon. Anyway, it's amazing how quickly
one can get used to have a hand tightened chuck and how quickly we
forget that the key, which is tie-wrapped to the cord, needs to be
removed from the chuck before you pull the switch - that cord got
really short in a hurry! Ok, so I'm past that but at every turn I'm
either knocking stuff off the counter with the cord or can't reach the
damn hole I want to drill 'cause the cord's caught on something or I
trip on the cord going to get the spackle to repair the hole I just
put in the wall because the drill stopped short and dinged the wall.

I just bought a new cordless drill and chose it almost entirely
because the manufacturer promises 'lifetime' replacement of batteries.
We'll see. Either their promise is full of holes or they're going to
go out of business because...

Batteries Suck.

TWS

David

TWS wrote:

[...]

What mfgr offers lifetime replacement of batteries? and what's their
criteria for replacement? Is there a large fee for shipping/handling?

Dave
Eugene Nine

Tom Watson wrote:

[...]

My makita 9.6v batteries lasted 8 years.
My dell laptop battery still has the full 4 hours after 3 years
What are you doing to yours.
Years and years ago you needed fully discharge and recharge batteries to
prevent the memory effect, but modern batteries you cause more wear buy
doing that and I still see a lot of people that still think you have to and
wear out their batteries early.

Roy Smith

"Rick M" wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote

On the wet side of the house, the modern lead-acid cell isn't much
different from a lead-acid cell from the Civil War era. The glass tank
gave way to bakelite and then to plastic, and we've got gel cells now, but
all those are minor details.

Let's see ... just since the 1970s we have gone from batteries that lasted
at best three years to batteries that routinely have a five-year warranty.
Further, I'd achieved 9+ years on a battery in my small truck

That's a 2-3x improvement.

Again, NiCd cell capacity has quadrupled in the last 30 years

OK, a 4x improvement.

2, 3, 4x over the span of 30 years is certainly an improvement, but I'm
comparing it to digital electronics, where improvements over a similar time
span are more like 1000's fold.

I'm typing this on a 2-year old laptop. 3/4 of a gig ram, 40 gig hard
drive, 1 GHz processor, 1024 x 768 x 24-bit color display, wireless
ethernet, DVD-reader (CD-burner). It cost me about $1800 and weighs under
5 lbs. 30 years ago, some of those specs could be met for millions of
dollars, some couldn't be met for any money. The machine that could come
closest would fill a room bigger than my house and I couldn't afford the
electric bill to keep the lights blinking.

But, you know what sucks about my laptop? The battery. It's probably 25%
of the weight of the machine, and can't keep it running more than about a
half hour any more.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Eugene Nine
wrote:

My makita 9.6v batteries lasted 8 years.

I've got a consumer level Wally world brand 12 volt drill whose battery
pack was starting to suck pretty bad after 5 years.

I had it rebuilt for $60 CAD, with a one year warranty, and can't
believe the difference.

I've got another cheapo 9.6 volt and will take that pack in next week
for rebuilding as well.

CW

Check that warranty. Some of those "lifetime warranties" apply to the
lifetime of the tool, or in this case, battery. When it dies, the lifetime
is up and so is the warranty.

"TWS" wrote in message
news
snip

manufacturer promises 'lifetime' replacement of batteries.
We'll see. Either their promise is full of holes or they're going to
go out of business because...

Batteries Suck.

TWS

TWS

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 15:06:48 -0700, David wrote:

What mfgr offers lifetime replacement of batteries?

Ridgid just began a 'Limited Lifetime' warranty on their power tools.

and what's their
criteria for replacement?

It will be interesting to see on batteries. Here is the statement on
their limited lifetime warranty description:
================
The Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGIDŽ Hand Held Power Tools,
Stationary Power Tools and
Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools,
including normal wear items such
as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless
batteries in your qualifying
RIDGIDŽBrand hand held and stationary power tools; and replacement
rings, driver blades and
bumpers on RIDGIDŽ Brand pneumatic tools for the lifetime of the
original owner.
==============
You can see the whole text at:
http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

Is there a large fee for shipping/handling?

Dave

I don't know, they don't itemize this in their statement and probably
won't tell you until it's time to make a claim. As I said in my
original post, I'm skeptical but it sure beats anything else I've seen
related to cordless equipment...

TWS
John Emmons

apples to oranges

You're comparing a system to a component.

It's like asking why metal alloys haven't improved 1000 times over time.

Nickel Hydride is an improvement, a major improvement so far as consumer
usable batteries are concerned, when we find an entirely new way to store
energy, batteries will improve again.

You know else sucks about laptops, they're still being made out of plastic
that breaks when you drop it. Asking why the case material hasn't improved
like the insides have is a better comparison to a battery.

Batteries are bad, no batteries is worse.

John Emmons

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
"Rick M" wrote:

[...]

jo4hn

Roy Smith wrote:
[snip] span are more like 1000's fold.

I'm typing this on a 2-year old laptop. 3/4 of a gig ram, 40 gig hard
drive, 1 GHz processor, 1024 x 768 x 24-bit color display, wireless
ethernet, DVD-reader (CD-burner). It cost me about $1800 and weighs under
5 lbs. 30 years ago, some of those specs could be met for millions of
dollars, some couldn't be met for any money. The machine that could come
closest would fill a room bigger than my house and I couldn't afford the
electric bill to keep the lights blinking.

But, you know what sucks about my laptop? The battery. It's probably 25%
of the weight of the machine, and can't keep it running more than about a
half hour any more.

I have a laptop that is about three years old. Battery is fine. Why is
that you say? I usually use it in a house that has electric outlets.
I plug the damn thing into to the house current. I guess you use it
in places where there is no such thing?
twitch,
jo4hn
Eugene Nine

Tom Watson wrote:

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 18:11:17 -0400, Eugene Nine wrote:

My makita 9.6v batteries lasted 8 years.
My dell laptop battery still has the full 4 hours after 3 years
What are you doing to yours.

I use them.

I use mine too. remodeled my kitchen, two bathrooms, garage, shed, various
wood working projects, etc. First couple years after I bought the set I
worked installing e911 systems so I screwed various 66 nd 110 blocks and
equipment to the walls in the equipment rooms and drilled all kinds of
holes to run cables, mine were well used.

Eugene Nine

John Emmons wrote:

apples to oranges

You're comparing a system to a component.

It's like asking why metal alloys haven't improved 1000 times over time.

Nickel Hydride is an improvement, a major improvement so far as consumer
usable batteries are concerned, when we find an entirely new way to store
energy, batteries will improve again.

You know else sucks about laptops, they're still being made out of plastic
that breaks when you drop it. Asking why the case material hasn't improved
like the insides have is a better comparison to a battery.

Actually you can buy laptops that are not plastic, My dell is a metal case
and has the dent in the back from a drop to proove it.

Roy Smith

In article , jo4hn
wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:
[...]

Not any more I don't :-(
Eugene Nine

jo4hn wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:
[...]

Thats probably the reason. Most laptops made in the last 5 years or so all
use Lithium Ion batteries and the MTBF spec is usually 300 full cycles. So
if you completely discharged and recharged it once a day you would wear the
battery out in a year.

BillyBob

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

I'm looking into a new car, with the express intent of reducing the
cost per mile, so that my sixty miles of commuting a day will not
continue to eat my wallet.

I'd be interested in some of this current drop of hybrids, which use
batteries - except for one thing...

Batteries Suck.

I don't know if you pay attention to boring, straight rags like consumer
reports but they give a pretty sobering picture about hybrids in this
month's issue. They are not what they are cracked up to be. I'm also
surprised at the emotional drive over a few miles per gallon. At your 60
miles/day, you could drive a car that gets a real 24 mi/gal with
conventional reliable proven gasoline engine and cost $1890/year for gas.
Or you could pay a few thousand more for an unproven hybrid and hope it will
get the purported 40 mi/gal and save $750/year. That's at $3.00/gal.

'tain't worth it to me.

Bob

BillyBob

"John Emmons" wrote in message

You know else sucks about laptops, they're still being made out of plastic
that breaks when you drop it.

I guess you're not familiar with some of the IBM/Lenevo models - Titanium
composite - a long cry from plastic.

Bob

BillyBob

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
Check that warranty. Some of those "lifetime warranties" apply to the
lifetime of the tool, or in this case, battery. When it dies, the lifetime
is up and so is the warranty.

JC Penney lost their shirts on such a deal on car batteries. They didn't
even last as long conventional lead-acid batteries.

Bob

Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:30:51 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

.... snip

I'm looking into a new car, with the express intent of reducing the
cost per mile, so that my sixty miles of commuting a day will not
continue to eat my wallet.

I'd be interested in some of this current drop of hybrids, which use
batteries - except for one thing...

Batteries Suck.

Can't comment from direct experience with hybrids, but battery life would
be one of my concerns with them as well. Here in AZ, a car battery is
usually good for about 2 years, whether it is a 36, 48, or 60 month battery
-- it's good for about 2 years. After having experienced this on my
pickup, in our old Explorer, and in our replacement for the Explorer, the
result has been the same -- batteries in Tucson are good for about 2 years.
After frying my dash panel in the F-150 trying to jump start the 48 month
battery that died after about 2 years, I decided that I was going to
replace my batteries every two years -- it's cheaper than a $500 dash panel
replacement.

So, when I see these hybrids, I wonder the same thing as you, only I'm
asking, how expensive is it to replace *those* batteries every 2 years?

Yep -- batteries suck.

watson - who is thinking about oiling up the old Yankee, cleaning the
rust off the trim hammer, and looking for a good mileage car that
doesn't rely on batteries - because...

Batteries Suck.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

Dhakala

Tom Watson wrote:
Batteries Suck.

We hit the limits of battery chemistry long ago, Tom. It'll never get
any better.

Fuel cells may be more to your liking. Hang in there.

Roy Smith

In article t,
"BillyBob" wrote:

Or you could pay a few thousand more for an unproven hybrid and hope it will
get the purported 40 mi/gal

My wife's Prius (a 2001 model, IIRC), really does get in the low to mid
40's. Here's a guy (http://randyrathbun.org/prius/prius_mileage/) who kept
track of his gas for 3 years, and averaged 47 MPG (that's probably the
newer model, which gets better mileage than the older one my wife has).

Or you could pay a few thousand more for an unproven hybrid and hope it will
get the purported 40 mi/gal and save $750/year. That's at $3.00/gal.

I'm not sure what "a few thousand" means, but let's assume you mean $5k.
That pays for itself in about 6-1/2 years. That's not a bad ROI.
Larry Jaques

On 4 Sep 2005 20:53:42 -0700, the blithe spirit "Dhakala"
clearly indicated:

Tom Watson wrote:
Batteries Suck.

We hit the limits of battery chemistry long ago, Tom. It'll never get
any better.

Fuel cells may be more to your liking. Hang in there.

Oh, bullpuckey. Nicads improved, LIon batts came out, air batteries
came out, lithiums improved, chargers improved. Change is still
happening.

..-.
Better Living Through Denial
---
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
Rick M

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Tom Watson wrote:
Batteries Suck.

We hit the limits of battery chemistry long ago, Tom. It'll never get
any better.

Fuel cells may be more to your liking. Hang in there.

Oh, bullpuckey. Nicads improved, LIon batts came out, air batteries
came out, lithiums improved, chargers improved. Change is still
happening.

You're absolutely right Larry ... but since the discussions on the wreck
have devolved into subjective shouting matches, any attempt to apply facts
and analyze the situation gets drowned out.

"Facts ... we don't need no stinkin' facts!"

This thread will be spun the way of pretty much every other thread in the
past year or so ... completely out of control, with logic tossed out the
window, and the "winner" will be the person that enflames the most readers.
Kind of like what our press is doing today ... except the press does it for
money, these amateurs do it for fun.

I countered most of the arguments brought forth on the theory that battery
technology hit the ceiling, only to see yet another "yea, but" divergence
that has little or nothing to do with the topic at hand. It has gotten to
the point where I killfile people that "yea, but" conversations just to
argue ... and I see that I'm nuking about 50% of the daily messages.

I think I'll just head back to my shop and make some sawdust. I've decided I
need to make a couple of scratch gauges and I'm going to attempt to make
myself some cam clamps. Once I've gotten those out of the way I'm going to
start on a scratch-built guitar (no kits, no reverse-engineered plans ...
just starting with an idea and a book). I like the idea of using native
woods in my projects, thought the thought of anything but a spruce top has
people cringing. Let's see ... rock maple and cherry, no poly and no stain
(well, I MIGHT tint the fretboard for contrast). If it doesn't play, I'll
use it as a splitting maul!

Any progress on your bow saw? (really big grin!)

Rick

jo4hn wrote:
Roy Smith wrote:
[snip] span are more like 1000's fold.

But, you know what sucks about my laptop? The battery. It's probably 25%
of the weight of the machine, and can't keep it running more than about a
half hour any more.

I have a laptop that is about three years old. Battery is fine. Why is
that you say? I usually use it in a house that has electric outlets.
I plug the damn thing into to the house current. I guess you use it
in places where there is no such thing?

So how come they don't make a dual-power recharable tools?

....although I'm guessing the answer to this is because a battery is
capable of delivering a crapload of power in a short timeframe, which
would require a prohibitavely expensive power delivery unit
(e.g. massive transformer) for that kind of current draw.

Still, that's an option I'd like to be able to buy, or include instead
of the extra battery.
Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 08:55:01 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

In article t,
"BillyBob" wrote:

Or you could pay a few thousand more for an unproven hybrid and hope it will
get the purported 40 mi/gal

My wife's Prius (a 2001 model, IIRC), really does get in the low to mid
40's. Here's a guy (http://randyrathbun.org/prius/prius_mileage/) who kept
track of his gas for 3 years, and averaged 47 MPG (that's probably the
newer model, which gets better mileage than the older one my wife has).

Or you could pay a few thousand more for an unproven hybrid and hope it will
get the purported 40 mi/gal and save $750/year. That's at $3.00/gal.

I'm not sure what "a few thousand" means, but let's assume you mean $5k.
That pays for itself in about 6-1/2 years. That's not a bad ROI.

.... if, and this may be a big "if", you don't have to replace the
batteries in those 6 1/2 years. Then the payoff is farther out. Seems
like waiting 6 1/2 years is a pretty long time to wait for break-even to
me. I certainly would think twice if I was told that an investment would
take that long to just break even.

PDQ

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message =
| On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 15:11:19 GMT, the blithe spirit "Rick M"
| clearly indicated:
|=20
| "Larry Jaques" wrote
| Oh, bullpuckey. Nicads improved, LIon batts came out, air batteries
| came out, lithiums improved, chargers improved. Change is still
| happening.
|
| You're absolutely right Larry ... but since the discussions on the =
wreck
| have devolved into subjective shouting matches, any attempt to apply =
facts
| and analyze the situation gets drowned out.
|
| "Facts ... we don't need no stinkin' facts!"
|=20
| You're probably right. sigh
|=20
|=20
| This thread will be spun the way of pretty much every other thread in =
the
| past year or so ... completely out of control, with logic tossed out =
the
| window, and the "winner" will be the person that enflames the most =
readers.
| Kind of like what our press is doing today ... except the press does =
it for
| money, these amateurs do it for fun.
|=20
|=20
|=20
| I countered most of the arguments brought forth on the theory that =
battery
| technology hit the ceiling, only to see yet another "yea, but" =
divergence
| that has little or nothing to do with the topic at hand. It has =
gotten to
| the point where I killfile people that "yea, but" conversations just =
| argue ... and I see that I'm nuking about 50% of the daily messages.
|=20
| My "I" button kicks out a lot more than that nowadays. sigh2
|=20
|=20
| I think I'll just head back to my shop and make some sawdust. I've =
decided I
| need to make a couple of scratch gauges and I'm going to attempt to =
make
| myself some cam clamps. Once I've gotten those out of the way I'm =
going to
| start on a scratch-built guitar (no kits, no reverse-engineered plans =
| just starting with an idea and a book). I like the idea of using =
native
| woods in my projects, thought the thought of anything but a spruce =
top has
| people cringing.=20
|=20
| Acoustic gitfiddle? Yeah, they probably cringe for good reason.
| But your first is your -practice- gitfiddle, so go for it!
|=20
|=20
| Let's see ... rock maple and cherry, no poly and no stain
| (well, I MIGHT tint the fretboard for contrast). If it doesn't play, =
I'll
| use it as a splitting maul!
|=20
| If you must, fume the cherry or use some potassium dichromate on it.
|=20
|=20
| Any progress on your bow saw? (really big grin!)
|=20
| No, not lately. Hold your breath and I'll let you know, Blue.
|=20
|=20
| .-.
| Better Living Through Denial
| ---
| http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design

Having read most of this thread, I am now convinced, more than ever, =
that I was right in not joining the cord-free movement when it first =
raised its ugly head.

I know I must be an ante-deluvial throwback but, just as I never leave =
home in the summer in my auto without my golf clubs in the trunk, I =
never leave home in my work truck without my generator for my corded =
tools.

The only batteries I have are clearly marked A, C, D, AA, or AAA.

--=20
PDQ

Tim Douglass

"BillyBob" wrote:

[...]

I eyeballed a hybrid a couple years ago but lost interest when they
said I'd have to replace the batteries every 3-5 years at a cost of
more than 8 grand. I sincerely hope that's not true of the newer ones,
but it's kept me away from serious consideration ever since.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
BillyBob

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message

I eyeballed a hybrid a couple years ago but lost interest when they
said I'd have to replace the batteries every 3-5 years at a cost of
more than 8 grand. I sincerely hope that's not true of the newer ones,
but it's kept me away from serious consideration ever since.

The other factor is that a hybrid is a *MUCH* more complex and sophisticated
piece of machinery - more things to break, more specialized parts. Early
reports of high reliability are just that - early reports. Let's see what
happens to them in 5-10 years.

I still love my 1991 Toyota previa with 180,000 miles. My average mainteance
cost for last four years has been less than $400/year. I don't need no
stinkin' electric motor.

Anyone remember the Cadillac 4-6-8?

Bob

Lee DeRaud

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 19:08:15 GMT, "BillyBob"
wrote:

Anyone remember the Cadillac 4-6-8?

That technology is making a comeback: Chrysler has it on the 300C.
Cadillac had a good idea that needed some advances in technology to
make it work right.

Lee
David

BillyBob wrote:

Anyone remember the Cadillac 4-6-8?

Bob

yeah--a true POS. I used to work on those turds.

Dave
David

PDQ wrote:

> [...]
| use it as a splitting maul!
|
| If you must, fume the cherry or use some potassium dichromate on it.
|

| Any progress on your bow saw? (really big grin!)
|
| No, not lately. Hold your breath and I'll let you know, Blue.
|

| .-.
| Better Living Through Denial
| ---
| http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design

Having read most of this thread, I am now convinced, more than ever, that I was right in not joining the cord-free movement when it first raised its ugly head.

I know I must be an ante-deluvial throwback but, just as I never leave home in the summer in my auto without my golf clubs in the trunk, I never leave home in my work truck without my generator for my corded tools.

The only batteries I have are clearly marked A, C, D, AA, or AAA.

Got any AAAA's?

Dave
Steve Peterson

Having read most of this thread, I am now convinced, more than ever, that
I was right in not joining the cord-free movement when it first raised
its ugly head.

I know I must be an ante-deluvial throwback but, just as I never leave
home in the summer in my auto without my golf clubs in the trunk, I never
leave home in my work truck without my generator for my corded tools.

The only batteries I have are clearly marked A, C, D, AA, or AAA.

Got any AAAA's?

Dave

I think I have a couple. Want to stop by and pick them up?

Steve

Dhakala

Tom Watson wrote:
Batteries Suck.

We hit the limits of battery chemistry long ago, Tom. It'll never get
any better.

Fuel cells may be more to your liking. Hang in there.

Oh, bullpuckey. Nicads improved, LIon batts came out, air batteries
came out, lithiums improved, chargers improved. Change is still
happening.

You're right, Larry. Why, just look at this breakthrough in batter
technology!

http://tinyurl.com/a99c2 (National Geographic)