David

Steve Peterson wrote:

Having read most of this thread, I am now convinced, more than ever, that
I was right in not joining the cord-free movement when it first raised
its ugly head.

I know I must be an ante-deluvial throwback but, just as I never leave
home in the summer in my auto without my golf clubs in the trunk, I never
leave home in my work truck without my generator for my corded tools.

The only batteries I have are clearly marked A, C, D, AA, or AAA.

Got any AAAA's?

Dave

I think I have a couple. Want to stop by and pick them up?

Steve

What kinda beer have you got on hand?

dave
W Canaday

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 19:08:15 +0000, BillyBob wrote:

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message

Anyone remember the Cadillac 4-6-8?

Bob

Just barely.

I have, however, owned two Geo Metros. Very reliable little car, very high
mileage. My first long trip in one (4 spd. manual, 3 cyl.) netted 52 mpg,
Detroit to Minneapolis ... mostly at speeds clearly not posted. City
mileage was about 37 mpg.

It's a good car. Easy to maintain. Needs to come back.
Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:01:35 -0700, David wrote:

PDQ wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message ...
| On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 15:11:19 GMT, the blithe spirit "Rick M"
| clearly indicated:
|
| "Larry Jaques" wrote

.... snip
The only batteries I have are clearly marked A, C, D, AA, or AAA.

Got any AAAA's?

Isn't that two AA's side by side? :-)

Dave

David

PDQ wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message ...
| On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 15:11:19 GMT, the blithe spirit "Rick M"
| clearly indicated:
|
| "Larry Jaques" wrote

... snip

The only batteries I have are clearly marked A, C, D, AA, or AAA.

Got any AAAA's?

Isn't that two AA's side by side? :-)

Dave

in case you haven't heard of AAAA's
http://www.flashlightsunlimited.com/alkaline-aaaa.htm

dave
Luigi Zanasi

On 7 Sep 2005 16:02:02 -0700, "Dhakala"
scribbled:

You're right, Larry. Why, just look at this breakthrough in batter
technology!

http://tinyurl.com/a99c2 (National Geographic)

Cool. No more need for the pee bucket or the walks to the compost bin.
Just recharge the batteries.
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html

Larry Jaques

On 7 Sep 2005 16:02:02 -0700, the blithe spirit "Dhakala"
clearly indicated:

You're right, Larry. Why, just look at this breakthrough in batter
technology!

http://tinyurl.com/a99c2 (National Geographic)

Alas, poor Uric. I knew him, Horatio.

I'll keep one of those saliva phones in my glove box for emergencies.

give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com
i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:00:51 -0700, David wrote:
BillyBob wrote:

Anyone remember the Cadillac 4-6-8?

yeah--a true POS. I used to work on those turds.

Worse than Caddy's HT4100 aluminum block abomination? You know, the
"let's leak coolant into the oil" engine?
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 22:59:00 -0400, W Canaday wrote:

I have, however, owned two Geo Metros. Very reliable little car, very high
mileage. My first long trip in one (4 spd. manual, 3 cyl.) netted 52 mpg,
Detroit to Minneapolis ... mostly at speeds clearly not posted. City
mileage was about 37 mpg.

It's a good car. Easy to maintain. Needs to come back.

And, how exactly do they fare in crash tests? If I'm dead, good mileage
didn't help me much.

David

BillyBob wrote:

Anyone remember the Cadillac 4-6-8?

yeah--a true POS. I used to work on those turds.

Worse than Caddy's HT4100 aluminum block abomination? You know, the
"let's leak coolant into the oil" engine?

The 4100 was another POS that leaked coolant into the oil because of the
ridiculously long intake manifold bolts that were underneath the valve
covers. Almost no one bothered to retorque them and hence the leaks.
I'd find many of the bolts so loose upon disassembly that I could remove
them with my fingers.

Dave
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:17:43 -0700, David wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

Worse than Caddy's HT4100 aluminum block abomination? You know, the
"let's leak coolant into the oil" engine?

The 4100 was another POS that leaked coolant into the oil because of the
ridiculously long intake manifold bolts that were underneath the valve
covers. Almost no one bothered to retorque them and hence the leaks.
I'd find many of the bolts so loose upon disassembly that I could remove
them with my fingers.

Hm, I was told it was an o-ring leaking between the steel sleeves and
the aluminum block. Or, do those bolts allow that leak? Mind, I'm not
saying there aren't more than one problem with the engine. My folks got
bit by that one - GM's "fix" was to pour radiator stop-leak into the
tank & hope for the best. Oddly enough, next winter, my dad had to buy
a new heater core... and then the camshaft became, well, not all that
cammy.

David

Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

oil would leak past the manifold gasket, at the water passages, after
the bolts had lost their torque.
Eugene Nine

wrote:

I have, however, owned two Geo Metros. Very reliable little car, very
high mileage. My first long trip in one (4 spd. manual, 3 cyl.) netted 52
mpg, Detroit to Minneapolis ... mostly at speeds clearly not posted. City
mileage was about 37 mpg.

It's a good car. Easy to maintain. Needs to come back.

And, how exactly do they fare in crash tests? If I'm dead, good mileage
didn't help me much.

They actually do decent in crash _tests_ like other small cars since they
have such low weight they practically bounce off of the test wall. IN real
world crashes they don't do so well.

alexy

"BillyBob" wrote:

I still love my 1991 Toyota previa with 180,000 miles. My average mainteance
cost for last four years has been less than $400/year.

Have to make sure SWMBO doesn't see this or she will get all
teary-eyed! We sold ours a few years ago with 235k miles on it. And we
did so only after finally giving up on trying to find a rational
reason to sell it, and just admitting we wanted a change. It was
probably the best vehicle we have owned, and was running great and
looking pretty darned good too when we sold it.

The only batteries I have are clearly marked A, C, D, AA, or AAA.

Got any AAAA's?

Isn't that two AA's side by side? :-)

nope. it's one AA cut in half. lengthwise.
Joe User

David wrote:

Got any AAAA's?

break open a 9v battery. a true battery, i.e., made up of multiuple
cells. The cells happen to be AAAA size.

-j

Roy Smith

In article , Joe User
wrote:

David wrote:

Got any AAAA's?

break open a 9v battery. a true battery, i.e., made up of multiuple
cells. The cells happen to be AAAA size.

-j

Googling "aaaa cell" found http://www.batterystore.com/Eveready/E96.htm.
That is most certainly not what's inside the last 9V battery I tore open
(granted, that was years ago, but I can't imagine they've changed much).
The 9V was a stack of (6, I guess) flat rectangular shaped cells.
Steve Peterson

According to the Battery Store Site, AAAA capacity is 625 mAh, the same as
for a 9V. So it takes six 1.5V cells to make 9V, but the total capacity is
not 6 times AAAA capacity.

Steve

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article , Joe User
wrote:

David wrote:

Got any AAAA's?

break open a 9v battery. a true battery, i.e., made up of multiuple
cells. The cells happen to be AAAA size.

-j

Googling "aaaa cell" found http://www.batterystore.com/Eveready/E96.htm.
That is most certainly not what's inside the last 9V battery I tore open
(granted, that was years ago, but I can't imagine they've changed much).
The 9V was a stack of (6, I guess) flat rectangular shaped cells.

Joe User

Roy Smith wrote:

Googling "aaaa cell" found http://www.batterystore.com/Eveready/E96.htm.
That is most certainly not what's inside the last 9V battery I tore open
(granted, that was years ago, but I can't imagine they've changed much).
The 9V was a stack of (6, I guess) flat rectangular shaped cells.

Well, it's been years, but I read something (either a circuit or a
repair for a device with an AAAA battery) that told me to tear open a 9V
to get some AAAA batteries. I didn't need the AAAAs but, being the
curious type, tore one open anyway. It was, in fact, 6 itty bitty
cells, just like a AA only smaller. They were in actual packaging, but
with brown paper, no artwork.

I haven't broken one open in years, so things certainly may have changed
since then.

-j
Joe User

Steve Peterson wrote:
According to the Battery Store Site, AAAA capacity is 625 mAh, the same as
for a 9V. So it takes six 1.5V cells to make 9V, but the total capacity is
not 6 times AAAA capacity.

I made this same mistake (in a different scenario) just the other day.
You actually prove my point, since the max current from a single cell
will be the max current of the battery.

The difference is voltage and power: the single AAAA will have 937.5
mWh, whereas the 9v battery will have 5625 mWh.

As I posted earlier, once upon a time I read this and found it to be the
case. Things may have changed. I wish I had a 9V here, just so I could
see.

-j
Roy Smith

In article , Joe User wrote:
Roy Smith wrote:

Googling "aaaa cell" found http://www.batterystore.com/Eveready/E96.htm.
That is most certainly not what's inside the last 9V battery I tore open
(granted, that was years ago, but I can't imagine they've changed much).
The 9V was a stack of (6, I guess) flat rectangular shaped cells.

Well, it's been years, but I read something (either a circuit or a
repair for a device with an AAAA battery) that told me to tear open a 9V
to get some AAAA batteries. I didn't need the AAAAs but, being the
curious type, tore one open anyway. It was, in fact, 6 itty bitty
cells, just like a AA only smaller. They were in actual packaging, but
with brown paper, no artwork.

I haven't broken one open in years, so things certainly may have changed
since then.

Interesting. I can swear I found 6 little flat cells stack one on top
of each other (I was a kid; it might have been 30 years ago), but some
more googling found:

http://quiz2.chem.arizona.edu/prepro...lt_battery.htm

whcih certainly supports the AAAA theory! I know what I'm doing this
weekend :-)

David

Joe User wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:

Googling "aaaa cell" found
http://www.batterystore.com/Eveready/E96.htm. That is most certainly
not what's inside the last 9V battery I tore open (granted, that was
years ago, but I can't imagine they've changed much). The 9V was a
stack of (6, I guess) flat rectangular shaped cells.

Well, it's been years, but I read something (either a circuit or a
repair for a device with an AAAA battery) that told me to tear open a 9V
to get some AAAA batteries. I didn't need the AAAAs but, being the
curious type, tore one open anyway. It was, in fact, 6 itty bitty
cells, just like a AA only smaller. They were in actual packaging, but
with brown paper, no artwork.

I haven't broken one open in years, so things certainly may have changed
since then.

-j

I broke a 9V Duracell open last year, for grins. (Or maybe early this
year). It contained a series of AAAA's.

Dave

On 9 Sep 2005 11:23:42 -0400, (Roy Smith) wrote:

In article , Joe User wrote:
Roy Smith wrote:

[...]

there could be lots of ways to build a 9v battery. no reason all
manufacturers have to do it the same way.
Joe User

Scott Lurndal wrote:

I've got an old radio that needs a B and two A batteries. IIRC
the B is about 45v. Anyone know of a source?

try BatteriesPlus, if there's a store near you, and I assume they're
online. One just opened near me (Huntsville, AL) and they have some
slightly oddball stuff on the shelf, and can order really oddball stuff.
I wouldn't be surprised if they had an A in the store.

I've never seen a B.

-j
Morris Dovey

Scott Lurndal (in )
said:

| I've got an old radio that needs a B and two A batteries. IIRC
| the B is about 45v. Anyone know of a source? (It's a
| Stewart-Warner three dial battery set from the 30's).

I don't think A and B refer to battery types in this context - but
rather to power _inputs_. IIRC the B supply was the filament supply
and was somewhere around six and a half volts.

Any _really_ old-timers out there who can help with this one?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:20:38 -0500, "Morris Dovey" wrote:

Scott Lurndal (in )
said:

| I've got an old radio that needs a B and two A batteries. IIRC
| the B is about 45v. Anyone know of a source? (It's a
| Stewart-Warner three dial battery set from the 30's).

I don't think A and B refer to battery types in this context - but
rather to power _inputs_. IIRC the B supply was the filament supply
and was somewhere around six and a half volts.

Any _really_ old-timers out there who can help with this one?

I'm not a *really* old timer, but did play with old radios while I was
growing up. There really was a "B" battery, it's purpose was to power all
but the filaments, the A battery powered the filaments.
http://antiqueradio.org/bsupply.htm is a nice write-up

Scott Lurndal

"Morris Dovey" writes:
Scott Lurndal (in )
said:

| I've got an old radio that needs a B and two A batteries. IIRC
| the B is about 45v. Anyone know of a source? (It's a
| Stewart-Warner three dial battery set from the 30's).

I don't think A and B refer to battery types in this context - but
rather to power _inputs_. IIRC the B supply was the filament supply
and was somewhere around six and a half volts.

There is a diagram attached to the inside of the lid (it's a
gorgeous walnut case) that shows the "A" Battery (yes, I suspect
you are correct in your assessment, A and B are just reference
letters in this context) sized and shaped much like an automobile
battery, and it specifies it as 6v. That would be the filament
supply, I suppose.

The diagram also shows two 45v batteries (both labelled 'B', oddly).
They're short squat square batteries with binding posts on the
top surface.

FWIW it is Stewart-Warner model 303.

scott

Any _really_ old-timers out there who can help with this one?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Herman Family

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
. ..
"Morris Dovey" writes:
Scott Lurndal (in )
said:

| I've got an old radio that needs a B and two A batteries. IIRC
| the B is about 45v. Anyone know of a source? (It's a
| Stewart-Warner three dial battery set from the 30's).

I don't think A and B refer to battery types in this context - but
rather to power _inputs_. IIRC the B supply was the filament supply
and was somewhere around six and a half volts.

There is a diagram attached to the inside of the lid (it's a
gorgeous walnut case) that shows the "A" Battery (yes, I suspect
you are correct in your assessment, A and B are just reference
letters in this context) sized and shaped much like an automobile
battery, and it specifies it as 6v. That would be the filament
supply, I suppose.

The diagram also shows two 45v batteries (both labelled 'B', oddly).
They're short squat square batteries with binding posts on the
top surface.

FWIW it is Stewart-Warner model 303.

scott

Any _really_ old-timers out there who can help with this one?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Try googling B Battery. You will find a few hits on where you can learn
more about this. The three poles on the b battery prevented it from being
put in wrong. You may have to use a battey eliminator instead of the
battery at this point. There are some 22.5 volt batteries to be had,
though I don't recall their designation.

Try this location:
http://www.acksupply.com/catalog/battery.pdf

It may get you what you need.

Michael

Phisherman

Yeah, batteries suck. All my power tools need electrical receptacles.
They don't run out of power, they are less expensive, and last a lot
longer.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 22:14:02 GMT, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I've got an old radio that needs a B and two A batteries. IIRC
the B is about 45v. Anyone know of a source? (It's a
Stewart-Warner three dial battery set from the 30's).

Got two of 'em, right (touch) here. Gonna put 'em on eBay one of these
days. I can check voltage & let you know if they're any good.
But, here's what they look like:
http://www.duck-creek.net/dave/collections/electronics/
30 volts, it says on the label.

Eugene Nine

Joe User wrote:

Steve Peterson wrote:
According to the Battery Store Site, AAAA capacity is 625 mAh, the same
as
for a 9V. So it takes six 1.5V cells to make 9V, but the total capacity
is not 6 times AAAA capacity.

I made this same mistake (in a different scenario) just the other day.
You actually prove my point, since the max current from a single cell
will be the max current of the battery.

The difference is voltage and power: the single AAAA will have 937.5
mWh, whereas the 9v battery will have 5625 mWh.

As I posted earlier, once upon a time I read this and found it to be the
case. Things may have changed. I wish I had a 9V here, just so I could
see.

-j

I've ripped one open before and found 6 aaaa's and ripped another open and
found nothing but smelly stuff so it seems they are not all made the same.