Dave Hinz

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:17:43 -0700, David wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

Worse than Caddy's HT4100 aluminum block abomination? You know, the
"let's leak coolant into the oil" engine?

The 4100 was another POS that leaked coolant into the oil because of the
ridiculously long intake manifold bolts that were underneath the valve
covers. Almost no one bothered to retorque them and hence the leaks.
I'd find many of the bolts so loose upon disassembly that I could remove
them with my fingers.

Hm, I was told it was an o-ring leaking between the steel sleeves and
the aluminum block. Or, do those bolts allow that leak? Mind, I'm not
saying there aren't more than one problem with the engine. My folks got
bit by that one - GM's "fix" was to pour radiator stop-leak into the
tank & hope for the best. Oddly enough, next winter, my dad had to buy
a new heater core... and then the camshaft became, well, not all that
cammy.