Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:30:51 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

.... snip

I'm looking into a new car, with the express intent of reducing the
cost per mile, so that my sixty miles of commuting a day will not
continue to eat my wallet.

I'd be interested in some of this current drop of hybrids, which use
batteries - except for one thing...

Batteries Suck.

Can't comment from direct experience with hybrids, but battery life would
be one of my concerns with them as well. Here in AZ, a car battery is
usually good for about 2 years, whether it is a 36, 48, or 60 month battery
-- it's good for about 2 years. After having experienced this on my
pickup, in our old Explorer, and in our replacement for the Explorer, the
result has been the same -- batteries in Tucson are good for about 2 years.
After frying my dash panel in the F-150 trying to jump start the 48 month
battery that died after about 2 years, I decided that I was going to
replace my batteries every two years -- it's cheaper than a $500 dash panel
replacement.

So, when I see these hybrids, I wonder the same thing as you, only I'm
asking, how expensive is it to replace *those* batteries every 2 years?

Yep -- batteries suck.

watson - who is thinking about oiling up the old Yankee, cleaning the
rust off the trim hammer, and looking for a good mileage car that
doesn't rely on batteries - because...

Batteries Suck.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)