John Emmons

apples to oranges

You're comparing a system to a component.

It's like asking why metal alloys haven't improved 1000 times over time.

Nickel Hydride is an improvement, a major improvement so far as consumer
usable batteries are concerned, when we find an entirely new way to store
energy, batteries will improve again.

You know else sucks about laptops, they're still being made out of plastic
that breaks when you drop it. Asking why the case material hasn't improved
like the insides have is a better comparison to a battery.

Batteries are bad, no batteries is worse.

John Emmons

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
"Rick M" wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote

On the wet side of the house, the modern lead-acid cell isn't much
different from a lead-acid cell from the Civil War era. The glass

tank
gave way to bakelite and then to plastic, and we've got gel cells now,

but
all those are minor details.

Let's see ... just since the 1970s we have gone from batteries that

lasted
at best three years to batteries that routinely have a five-year

warranty.
Further, I'd achieved 9+ years on a battery in my small truck

That's a 2-3x improvement.

Again, NiCd cell capacity has quadrupled in the last 30 years

OK, a 4x improvement.

2, 3, 4x over the span of 30 years is certainly an improvement, but I'm
comparing it to digital electronics, where improvements over a similar

time
span are more like 1000's fold.

I'm typing this on a 2-year old laptop. 3/4 of a gig ram, 40 gig hard
drive, 1 GHz processor, 1024 x 768 x 24-bit color display, wireless
ethernet, DVD-reader (CD-burner). It cost me about $1800 and weighs under
5 lbs. 30 years ago, some of those specs could be met for millions of
dollars, some couldn't be met for any money. The machine that could come
closest would fill a room bigger than my house and I couldn't afford the
electric bill to keep the lights blinking.

But, you know what sucks about my laptop? The battery. It's probably 25%
of the weight of the machine, and can't keep it running more than about a
half hour any more.