Conan The Librarian

Patriarch wrote:

I have a #6, of early '60's vintage, which I bought from a tool dealer
who used to frequent these parts years ago, and used to put out a
monthly list to various hand plane addicts. An unused old plane,
without hassle, at a fair price, in great shape, from someone who
clearly knew what he was selling, and planned on selling more of them as
the years went on.

Yes, I paid more than eBay prices for this tool. But I didn't have to
'win' anything, play sniping games, worry about the seller, or even do
all that much homework. The tool was sent on approval, and had I not
found it to be what I needed, I was responsible to send it back.
Otherwise, a personal check was sufficient. There is a lot to be said
for that business model, and someone who is willing to make a go of
that.

I wonder what Patrick is up to these days? I've seen no email list in
some time. Maybe he still has an old address of mine.

Patrick is still up to the same old tricks. I'm still on his
mailing list, as even though I'm not buying a lot planes these days, I
love to see the sorts of things he uncovers; it's a history lesson in
its own right.

I bought my first oldtool from him back about 8 years ago. It was a
type 14 #4. I hardly use it anymore (I have too many smoothers that
work better than it does), but I'll never forget opening that box and
disassembling the plane while pondering its history.

It was all downhill from there ... on rollerskates ... with a
jetpack on my back. :-)

nearing 3 dozen handplanes, and still nowhere near the most addicted in
his neighborhood...

Hmmm ... a quick mental count puts me at about 3 dozen as well. and
then there are the spokeshaves ... and saws ... and chisels ... and ...

Chuck Vance (wheeeeeeeee!!!)
Dave in Fairfax

Conan The Librarian wrote:
[...]

PL is doing fine last I saw him, back in Feb/March, whenever our Patina
auction was. MJD was there as well. Send him your addy to get back on
the list, although I suspect he's still tool hunting as Chuck pointed
out. Ass for 3 dozen planes, I'm in triple digits, with lots of
spokeshaves. Google for a pic of mine entitled shelf3. I've got at
least 3 dozen woodies. Jetpack? Yeehaw!

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
Conan The Librarian

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

PL is doing fine last I saw him, back in Feb/March, whenever our Patina
auction was. MJD was there as well. Send him your addy to get back on
the list, although I suspect he's still tool hunting as Chuck pointed
out. Ass for 3 dozen planes, I'm in triple digits, with lots of
spokeshaves. Google for a pic of mine entitled shelf3. I've got at
least 3 dozen woodies. Jetpack? Yeehaw!

Oooops, I forgot to include the woodies. :-) But I'm not a big
collector of them or anything. Probably don't have more than 12-15. :-}

To be totally honest, I've been a bit of a slacker when it comes to
buying tools. I took up flyfishing again a couple of years back, so now
I've got another hobby that requires large amounts of gear. (Plus, if
you ff, you *have* to tie your own flies, so that requires a whole
different set of stuff.)

I can't seem to find your pic. Got a url for me?

Chuck Vance

Conan The Librarian wrote:
AAvK wrote:

At the same time, when setting the blade for depth of cut, somehow
it is always skewing itself and a final skew setting is always to
one side or the other. I don't know if that is the result of the frog,
which stands up off the floor of the bed at the mouth (throat) area
about 3/32". I can't telll if it needs to be fettled by just looking at it.
But obviously it seats on the reciever and all surfaces are flat....

Yikes, I can see why you aren't fond if it. I'm wondering if the
frog screw wasn't a retrofit. Without having a plane in front of me to
look at, I don't recall any double/mating bevels on frog screws.

The part that really concerns me is where you say the frog sits
proud; it should be flush with the bed.

Possibly the frog design is the second of the
four designs described he

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#num3

Contrary to what Mr Leach says, that frog design has a
bad reputation. It is flexible enough that the cutter
can take a nose-dive when you hit tough spot in the wood.

As for the skewing of the iron, when you are setting the plane up,
how tight do you have the lever screw?

My guess would be that the face of
the frog on which the cutter rests is
not flat, or the problem with the
lever cap screw causes it to bear
down harder on one side of the cap
iron.

I ALWAYS have that problem with wedged
planes.

--

FF

Dave in Fairfax

Conan The Librarian wrote:
Oooops, I forgot to include the woodies. :-) But I'm not a big
collector of them or anything. Probably don't have more than 12-15. :-}

To be totally honest, I've been a bit of a slacker when it comes to
buying tools. I took up flyfishing again a couple of years back, so now
I've got another hobby that requires large amounts of gear. (Plus, if
you ff, you *have* to tie your own flies, so that requires a whole
different set of stuff.)

I can't seem to find your pic. Got a url for me?

All is forgiven. My Father FFs also. Different slopes for different
folks. TMdl I don't keep a website going, quit after I took down my
old BBS. I'll scrounge it up and post it over on ABPW. It won't be
current, the shelf is sagging now. %-)

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.patinatools.org

Conan The Librarian

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

All is forgiven. My Father FFs also. Different slopes for different
folks. TMdl

I like it. :-) I've found that ff'ing is a particularly insidious
slope. Not only is there all the gear and tying stuff to buy, but the
places I want to fish the most require travel. In the last few years
it's been the Madison River and Yellowstone Park in Moontana/Wyoming,
the Crowsnest River in Canada and small streams in the western North
Carolina mountains.

It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it.

I don't keep a website going, quit after I took down my
old BBS. I'll scrounge it up and post it over on ABPW. It won't be
current, the shelf is sagging now. %-)

Let me know when it's up. I don't get the binaries groups, but can
always check it out on Usenet Replayer.

Chuck Vance
AAvK

Possibly the frog design is the second of the
four designs described he

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#num3

Yeah that's exactly it. Second from the left. The seller told me it
is a type 8 as he was reading from the Walters book in his email
to me, I confirmed it online:
http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/sta..._plane/dating/
It is a "B" casting with no maker's name anywhere besides "No 6"
on the toe.

Contrary to what Mr Leach says, that frog design has a
bad reputation. It is flexible enough that the cutter
can take a nose-dive when you hit tough spot in the wood.

I didn't experience that when planing doug fir and its many knots
but it is not a very hard wood. I kept the screws nice and tight.

My guess would be that the face of
the frog on which the cutter rests is
not flat, or the problem with the
lever cap screw causes it to bear
down harder on one side of the cap
iron.

Actually I cannot tell too well by looking at it, other than that it is
perfectly flat. I imagined it is some misalignment of mounting to the
reciever... very hard to see. But I did notice some kind of indiscernible
skew there. It is like a rise that causes it at an odd angle, I wouldn't
know how to fettle it because everything is much too slight.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

I ALWAYS have that problem with wedged
planes.

--

FF

AAvK

Chuck, isn't your bench the one in SYP and has a thick leg vise?

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Conan The Librarian

AAvK wrote:

Chuck, isn't your bench the one in SYP and has a thick leg vise?

Yep. Here's a pic: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/bench03.jpg

Chuck Vance

AAvK

Yep. Here's a pic: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/bench03.jpg

Okay cool. That is a great bench, I love the simplicity and thickness,
that SYP is incredible and I wish it could be attained out here on the
west coast. My bench will be closer to "classic", I have an antique
quick action iron 7x4 and I will make my own slide-frame end vise
with two LV screws.

Questions if you don't mind,

What glue did you use for the top?

Are you a lefty (vise on the right)?

How well is the leg vise working for you?

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Conan The Librarian

AAvK wrote:

Yep. Here's a pic: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/bench03.jpg

Okay cool. That is a great bench, I love the simplicity and thickness,
that SYP is incredible and I wish it could be attained out here on the
west coast. My bench will be closer to "classic", I have an antique
quick action iron 7x4 and I will make my own slide-frame end vise
with two LV screws.

That bench was actually just intended to be my "first" one, with the
idea being that I'd make my "dream" bench sometime down the road. But I
expect it will outlive me. ;-)

Questions if you don't mind,

What glue did you use for the top?

Titebond Extend (for the longer open time)

Are you a lefty (vise on the right)?

Yep.

How well is the leg vise working for you?

It does just about everything I could ask of it. The only problem
I've really noticed is that it's not great for jointing long boards.
But that's partially my own fault, as I never did build a proper bench
slave for it, and instead try to joint boards by supporting them with
that "swiss-cheese" board that runs along the front of the bench. (It
has too much flex to be optimal.)

But the vise is great for holding boards for sawing dovetails,
holding my planing stop/jig, jointing short boards, holding various
odd-shaped things for spokeshaving and carving, etc.

Sometimes I think it might be nice to add an end-vise for planing,
but if I had to have just one, I'd stick with the leg-vise.

Chuck Vance

Dave in Fairfax

Conan The Librarian wrote:
I like it. :-) I've found that ff'ing is a particularly insidious
slope. Not only is there all the gear and tying stuff to buy, but the
places I want to fish the most require travel. In the last few years
it's been the Madison River and Yellowstone Park in Moontana/Wyoming,
the Crowsnest River in Canada and small streams in the western North
Carolina mountains.

It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it.

Let me know when it's up. I don't get the binaries groups, but can
always check it out on Usenet Replayer.

It's up go take a look. He lives in Seattle, so he goes after salmon.
kinda makes it worthwhile after dealing with trout.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.patinatools.org
AAvK

All excellent info, thanks much because I need to learn.

Sometimes I think it might be nice to add an end-vise for planing, but if I had to have just one, I'd stick with the leg-vise.

looking at your bench and vise and words...

I thought of placing a leg vise on the 'end front corner', it could be used
three different ways that way. End vise for top board clamping and in-jaw
clamping, and with dogs or whatever sticking out the side of the jaw for
front board clamping with a bench slave and those front dog holes... or
something like that.

And 'TB II extend' is also what I thought of for my top, but it will be hard
maple... don't know if it's strong enough for time in the long run because
maple isn't very porous... however I will be using threaded rod. How much
glue did you use just for the top?

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Conan The Librarian

AAvK wrote:

All excellent info, thanks much because I need to learn.

Glad to help. I picked the brains of a number of folks from the
Oldtools list and the wreck when I was planning my bench.

looking at your bench and vise and words...

I thought of placing a leg vise on the 'end front corner', it could be used
three different ways that way. End vise for top board clamping and in-jaw
clamping, and with dogs or whatever sticking out the side of the jaw for
front board clamping with a bench slave and those front dog holes... or
something like that.

So you mean with the handle on the end of the bench? I suppose that
would work OK. Just be aware that the leg and handle stick out, so they
can tend to get in the way when you're not using them.

FWIW, I've found that unless I'm planing long boards, the leg vise
doesn't come into play for holding boards on top of my bench. I've got
a couple of planing stops (really nothing more than some 1/4" ply cut
into strips) that I clamp to the benchtop using clamps that I've
converted to holddowns (take a standard Jorgy 6" clamp and file the
rivet at the bottom flat and you can remove the clamp head when needed).
I run them through dogholes to secure the stops.

For thicker boards I use a pair of Veritas Wonderdogs in my
dogholes. (A good reason to have round dogholes, but let's not get
*that* discussion started. ;-)

And 'TB II extend' is also what I thought of for my top, but it will be hard
maple... don't know if it's strong enough for time in the long run because
maple isn't very porous... however I will be using threaded rod. How much
glue did you use just for the top?

IIRC, it was a bit less than a 16 oz. bottle.

FWIW, when I did my glueup I did a full test run (with clamps),
numbered the boards, and clamped it up adding only one board at a time.
(I.e., clamp, let dry overnight, and add one more the next day.) I
was *very* careful to orient all the boards with the grain running the
same direction (for ease of handplaning later), and to get one surface
as close to dead flat as I could at the point of glueup. This made
final flattening of the top a lot easier.

Chuck Vance
Conan The Librarian

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

[pics of the shelves'o'planes from hell]

It's up go take a look.

Jeezus ... you've got it bad, man. If I didn't know better, I'd say
you were a collector. ;-)

He lives in Seattle, so he goes after salmon.
kinda makes it worthwhile after dealing with trout.

I'v never had the honor of fishing for salmon. But I can't imagine
it's any more fun than fishing for wild trout in the mountains of North
Carolina. That's where I went in early July, and while I've caught
bigger fish elsewhere, I've never fished in such pretty surroundings:

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/bradley01.jpg

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/cherohala02.jpg

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/little01.jpg

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/snowbirdfalls01.jpg

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/brown.jpg

Chuck Vance (yes, that was a gloat)

Pat Barber

Born and raised and live in North Carolina.

I live on the ocean and always made fun of the "buggy whip" crowd
fishing in the "ditch", but it really is beautiful on those little
trout streams.

I have friends that will drive for six hours to go
catch those tiny brown trout and they love it.

Conan The Librarian wrote:

I'v never had the honor of fishing for salmon. But I can't imagine
it's any more fun than fishing for wild trout in the mountains of North
Carolina. That's where I went in early July, and while I've caught
bigger fish elsewhere, I've never fished in such pretty surroundings:

Dave in Fairfax

Conan The Librarian wrote:
Jeezus ... you've got it bad, man. If I didn't know better, I'd say
you were a collector. ;-)

But I'm feeling MUCH better now. %-)

I'v never had the honor of fishing for salmon. But I can't imagine
it's any more fun than fishing for wild trout in the mountains of North
Carolina. That's where I went in early July, and while I've caught
bigger fish elsewhere, I've never fished in such pretty surroundings:

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/bradley01.jpg
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/cherohala02.jpg
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/little01.jpg
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/snowbirdfalls01.jpg
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/brown.jpg
Chuck Vance (yes, that was a gloat)

Very pretty. The UP is pretty too. First time I took my ex fishing she
caught a 26 3/4" large mouth. Had to let it go though, out of season.
That may have contributed to my divorce. 5-( Out in wolf Lake, they
had HUGE trout, immense, bass sized. Hand fishing for tuna off a rubber
ducky out in Guam was fun to. BIG fish. Can you say sashimi?

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.patinatools.org
Conan The Librarian

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Conan The Librarian wrote:

Jeezus ... you've got it bad, man. If I didn't know better, I'd say
you were a collector. ;-)

But I'm feeling MUCH better now. %-)

They say the first step to recovery is realizing you have a problem.
;-)

[snip of pics of western NC]

Very pretty. The UP is pretty too. First time I took my ex fishing she
caught a 26 3/4" large mouth.

That's a nice fish. Is there any truth to the rumor that they grow
that big because they feed on the Yooper dragonfl ... er ... mosquitoes?
:-)

Had to let it go though, out of season.
That may have contributed to my divorce. 5-( Out in wolf Lake, they
had HUGE trout, immense, bass sized. Hand fishing for tuna off a rubber
ducky out in Guam was fun to. BIG fish. Can you say sashimi?

I'm guessing you weren't just vacationing in Guam, eh?

Chuck Vance
Conan The Librarian

Pat Barber wrote:

Born and raised and live in North Carolina.

I live on the ocean and always made fun of the "buggy whip" crowd
fishing in the "ditch", but it really is beautiful on those little
trout streams.

I have friends that will drive for six hours to go
catch those tiny brown trout and they love it.

I can relate. I flew for over three hours and then drove for
another couple just to get to the cabin where I was staying on Big
Snowbird. Then the hike was another hour and a half to get to the spot
where I caught that brown.

And I'm dying to go back. :-)

Chuck Vance
Dave in Fairfax

Conan The Librarian wrote:
They say the first step to recovery is realizing you have a problem.
;-)
That's a nice fish. Is there any truth to the rumor that they grow
that big because they feed on the Yooper dragonfl ... er ... mosquitoes?
:-)
I'm guessing you weren't just vacationing in Guam, eh?

Strangely enough I was in the employ of our Navy. %-) Got to see the
world and everything. The only problem with the bass catching the
skeetrs is sometimes the fish goes up and doesn't come back down. It is
a pleasurable addiction, and less costly than some. Least as long as I
remain a bottom feeder. Unless I hit the lotto big, I don't see that as
changing anytime soon. %-(

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.patinatools.org

Tom Watson

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 10:13:16 -0500, Conan The Librarian
wrote:

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

[...]

Didya ever cozy up with a copy of "Fishing Bamboo", by Gierach?

Nice little book.

(watson - who could stand a good bamboo rod building thread.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:26:36 -0400, the opaque Tom Watson
clearly wrote:

(watson - who could stand a good bamboo rod building thread.

What kind? Would that be a cotton (mercerized or not), linen,
polyester, or nylon thread, Tawm? groan

--
Impeach 'em ALL!
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Conan The Librarian

Tom Watson wrote:

Didya ever cozy up with a copy of "Fishing Bamboo", by Gierach?

Nice little book.

I've got several of Gierach's books, but not the one on bamboo.
Unfortunately, I haven't had the honor of fishing 'boo. Given my
neo-Luddite leanings, I'm guessing I would like it. :-)

(watson - who could stand a good bamboo rod building thread.

You go first. :-)

Chuck Vance (all I know about building 'boo rods is you need a
planing form ... and a L-N block with the special rodmakers groove)

Conan The Librarian

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Strangely enough I was in the employ of our Navy. %-) Got to see the
world and everything.

Ah yes ... it's not just an adventure, it's a job.

The only problem with the bass catching the
skeetrs is sometimes the fish goes up and doesn't come back down. It is
a pleasurable addiction, and less costly than some. Least as long as I
remain a bottom feeder. Unless I hit the lotto big, I don't see that as
changing anytime soon. %-(

At least you live in an area where there's a chance to bottom-feed.
Down hyar in oletoolhail they seem to think that the older and rustier
a tool is, the more it's worth ... as a decoration for your "kuntry
kitchen". :-|

Chuck Vance
Dave in Fairfax

Conan The Librarian wrote:
At least you live in an area where there's a chance to bottom-feed.
Down hyar in oletoolhail they seem to think that the older and rustier
a tool is, the more it's worth ... as a decoration for your "kuntry
kitchen". :-|

I go up to NY and through PA fairly frequently. If you have something
in mind, I'll keep an eye open. Send me a cell or other phone number
and a price range and if I see it, I'll give you a call and tell you
what I'm looking at. You decide whether you want it or not. Better
send the info OFF-line. %-)

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.patinatools.org

Conan The Librarian

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

I go up to NY and through PA fairly frequently. If you have something
in mind, I'll keep an eye open. Send me a cell or other phone number
and a price range and if I see it, I'll give you a call and tell you
what I'm looking at. You decide whether you want it or not. Better
send the info OFF-line. %-)

No kidding. :-) Thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on it the
next time I'm in the market. For now though, before adding to my ... er
.... "arsenal", I need to consider selling some of the stuff I've got
that's sitting unused.

Chuck Vance (not a collector, no sir)
Dave in Fairfax

Conan The Librarian wrote:
No kidding. :-) Thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on it the
next time I'm in the market. For now though, before adding to my ... er
... "arsenal", I need to consider selling some of the stuff I've got
that's sitting unused.

I'll be going up to Philly end of August-beginning of September. I was
planning on making a 2 1/2 hr trip into a 6 or 7 hour trip, by looking
for tools, let me know. Not collecting them, mind you, just shopping
for things to use. %-)

Dve in Fairfax