BillyBob

Default Chisels from the UK - what to shop for?

My brother is living in London (Chelsea to be exact). His wife is back in
the states for a couple of weeks and he has time on his hands. He likes to
go shopping at all the shops and has offered to see what he might find in
the way of old chisels for me. The last time I asked him to seek out a
Norris A5 smoother and he turned one up that worked out to be $200 exchange.

So given the open ended category of "chisels", what would you shop for?
Let's frame it up with my current supply (embarrassing). I have one set of
Sears Craftsman 1/4" through 1", circa 1972. These are bevel edge, plastic
handles and rather short blades. I am sure they are well qualified to knock
holes in plaster. I also own a 1/2" crank neck Henry Taylor paring chisel
(4" long blade).

I am sure I would use chisels for more than I do now if I had some really
good ones. I'm a growing sucker for the old stuff, if the price is decent.
I want them to use, not collect.

Bob

David

Don't scoff at ALL Sears chisels. The make 2 decent sets currently.
IIRC, the blue handle ones are around $90 a set and hold up pretty well.
They are made in England; Sheffield, I think. The are a heck of lot
better than the Marples line that HD sells.

BillyBob wrote:

[...]

BillyBob

"David" wrote in message
Don't scoff at ALL Sears chisels. The make 2 decent sets currently.
IIRC, the blue handle ones are around $90 a set and hold up pretty well.
They are made in England; Sheffield, I think. The are a heck of lot
better than the Marples line that HD sells.

Actually my old ones are pretty good. I just don't like the short blades.

Bob