B a r r y

Default Chisels? Two Cherries?

Folks,
I DAGS and noticed a lot of you have purchased Two Cherries
chisels.

Do you still like them?

I'm wanting to replace my Blue Chips with something that holds and
edge longer, and $50 each for Sorby's is a bit tough for me to bite.

Any other recommendations?

Barry
Bernie Hunt

I was steered to them by the FWW article that rated their steel very high. I
have a vendor in NYC that sells them so I checked them out. I've had mine
for over a year now and I like them very much. I switched to them from
Marples Blue handles also.

Bernie

"B a r r y" wrote in message
Folks,
I DAGS and noticed a lot of you have purchased Two Cherries
chisels.

Do you still like them?

I'm wanting to replace my Blue Chips with something that holds and
edge longer, and $50 each for Sorby's is a bit tough for me to bite.

Any other recommendations?

Barry

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

I like mine. They seem to keep their edge pretty well. My only complaint
is I got so used to the heavier Blue Chips, that these seem a bit light in
comparison.
Cheers,
cc

"B a r r y" wrote in message
Folks,
I DAGS and noticed a lot of you have purchased Two Cherries
chisels.

Do you still like them?

I'm wanting to replace my Blue Chips with something that holds and
edge longer, and $50 each for Sorby's is a bit tough for me to bite.

Any other recommendations?

Barry

A Dubya

They're a great tool. Hold an edge well, not much work to lap the back of
them. Only grief is the round handles (they'll roll around), but was a
quick fix.

Cheers,

aw

Juergen Hannappel

"A Dubya" writes:

They're a great tool. Hold an edge well, not much work to lap the back of
them. Only grief is the round handles (they'll roll around), but was a

You can get them also with octagonal handles. BTW, they make
(including carving chisels) about 1000 different ones...

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

Robin Lee

"B a r r y" wrote in message
Folks,
I DAGS and noticed a lot of you have purchased Two Cherries
chisels.

Do you still like them?

I'm wanting to replace my Blue Chips with something that holds and
edge longer, and $50 each for Sorby's is a bit tough for me to bite.

Any other recommendations?

Barry

Hirsch - same factory, different label (and handle) - much lower price...

Cheers -

Rob
(who HAS a vested interest...)

A Dubya

....didn't know that. When the day comes to replace one, that's what I'll be
looking for. Thanks.

Cheers,

aw

Patrick Olguin

B a r r y,

W h i c h e v e r y o u g o w i t h . C o n s i d e r s t r i p p i n g
t h e s l i p p e r y l a c q u e r a n d r e c o a t i n g w i t h
s h e l l a c . M u c h e a s i e r o n t h e h a n d s .

O ' D e e n
Swingman

"B a r r y" wrote in message
On 31 Mar 2004 14:41:01 -0800, (Patrick Olguin)
wrote:

B a r r y,

W h i c h e v e r y o u g o w i t h . C o n s i d e r s t r i p p

i n g
t h e s l i p p e r y l a c q u e r a n d r e c o a t i n g w i t h
s h e l l a c . M u c h e a s i e r o n t h e h a n d s .

O ' D e e n

T H A N K S !

I ' m l o o k i n g f o r w a r d t o h o l d i n g w o o d e n
h a n d l e s i n s t e a d o f p l a s t i c.

Barry

L o l . D a m n y o u g u y s a r e f u n n y !

( T h i s i s h a r d e r t h a n i t l o o k s ... and it cornfused
the hell outts the speil checker)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/04

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:51:10 -0500, "Robin Lee"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Hirsch - same factory, different label (and handle) - much lower price...

Rob
(who HAS a vested interest...)

I didn't think people WORE those any more, Rob.

Speaking of which (No, not vests, chisels/gouges.) how
are your palm tools? 57D06.01 My taste runs toward
Pfeil (when discounted).

---
In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact
with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE
- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development -
B a r r y

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:51:10 -0500, "Robin Lee"
wrote:

Rob
(who HAS a vested interest...)

Aren't you that guy who works fer Harbor Freight? G

If you check your order system, I'll bet you can guess who _I_ am.

Barry
Robin Lee

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:51:10 -0500, "Robin Lee"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Hirsch - same factory, different label (and handle) - much lower price...

Rob
(who HAS a vested interest...)

I didn't think people WORE those any more, Rob.

Speaking of which (No, not vests, chisels/gouges.) how
are your palm tools? 57D06.01 My taste runs toward
Pfeil (when discounted).

snip

Larry -

The set you mention are good tools, made in USA...

The Pfeil set is better quality though - as is indicated by the price
difference...

Hard to advise which is best for you - both are worth the money!

Cheers -

Rob

Robin Lee

wrote:

Rob
(who HAS a vested interest...)

Aren't you that guy who works fer Harbor Freight? G

If you check your order system, I'll bet you can guess who _I_ am.

Barry

Possibly - if your address has the digits 1,3,4, in it ...then thanks for
the order - it's leaving today!!!

Cheers -

Rob

Tom Lewis

Small Gloat,

bought a boxed set of six last week on ebay, like new never used $92.00
including shipping

Big T

. net...

"B a r r y" wrote in message
Folks,
I DAGS and noticed a lot of you have purchased Two Cherries
chisels.

Do you still like them?

I'm wanting to replace my Blue Chips with something that holds and
edge longer, and $50 each for Sorby's is a bit tough for me to bite.

Any other recommendations?

Barry

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 07:42:47 -0500, "Robin Lee"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Larry -

The set you mention are good tools, made in USA...

I'll give the 57D06.01 set a try. Now, what else can I order
while my (short) crowbar is out...?

The Pfeil set is better quality though - as is indicated by the price
difference...

I'll buy the individual Pfeils and try your set. My shoulders
want me to work less overhead nowadays.

---
In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact
with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE
- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development -
Scott Lurndal

Larry Jaques writes:
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:51:10 -0500, "Robin Lee"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Hirsch - same factory, different label (and handle) - much lower price...

Rob
(who HAS a vested interest...)

I didn't think people WORE those any more, Rob.

Our british cousins do. (What we call a t-shirt, they call a vest, IIRC).

scott

charlie b

B a r r y wrote:

Folks,
I DAGS and noticed a lot of you have purchased Two Cherries
chisels.

Do you still like them?

I'm wanting to replace my Blue Chips with something that holds and
edge longer, and $50 each for Sorby's is a bit tough for me to bite.

Any other recommendations?

Barry

It's funny how we seem to view "foreiegn" tools as being better than
local tools. In the USA chisels from Buck, Sears and the like are
readily
available and relatively cheap. Japanese, German, Austrian and Swiss
however go for a more premium price and we seem to be willing to
pay that premium price because "they must be better, they'r made in
(fill in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Japan).

While in Munich I made a run up to Dick's Fine Tools, in Metten, about
100 Km from Munich. Went specifically to get some of them "foreign"
chisels" - specifically Two Cherries. Alas, he'd gotten heavy into
Japanese
gardening and he was only carrying Japanese woodworking tools. Bummer.

Using my son, who spent a year in Germany ans speaks German, I asked
if there was any place within a hundred kilometers that carried Two
Cherries chisels. Was sent down the road to the local hardware/garden
center store - a scaled back German version of our Borg. With my son
asking, I soon found myself standing in front of a peg board full of
Two
Cherries chisels, each with a plastic end cap that had a loop for
hanging
from a peg board peg. They went from 2 mm up to maybe 36 mm, in 2 mm
increments. Got the 18, 16, 14, 12, 10 and 8 mm for about $95 US.
No locked glass case with special lighting, no hermetically controlled
environment - they were just chisels hung on per board. No fancy box,
no hand stitched leather roll - just chisels - with plastic end caps
and
a loop to hang them from.

I looked for the locked glass case with the Buck Bros. and Sears
chisels
but there wasn't one.

I made a finger jointed rack to hold the TCs and they're sitting in
one of
the doors of one of my wall hanging tool cabinets. They're well
finished
and very shiny. But it's been about three years since they went in
their
rack and I still haven't gotten around to actually using them. I use
the
Marples Blue Chips and the Bucks regularly and the butt chisels which
I think are by Sorby sometimes. But the Zweis Kirchen (I think that's
Two Cherries in German) chisels are being reserved for "house
furniture" - if and when I ever get to building any of that stuff.

On a related note, found a little cutlery shop in Austria, well off
the
beaten tourist trails, that carried Stubai carving chisels. The
founder's
great grand daughter helped me, brining out card board boxes of Stubai
carving chisels and a separate box of octagonal handles. She knew her
carving chisels, and, with her help over an hour or so, put together
a selection for carving small stuff. Dropped close to $200 US but
left with another fond memory of doing business with a place that
had been there for over a hundred years and still a family run
business.

Now try and remember a store you've been to that has been in the
same place for over 50 years. Then try and remember a business
you've dealt with that was third generation, let alone fourth
generation. Cheapest seldom means "best", or even "adequate". And
"cheapest" is seldom sold by interesting people with a lot of
knowledge about what they sell.

I prefer 12 year old scotch - and "mom and pop stores".
Unfortunately,
while 12 year old scotch is easy to find, "mom and pop stores" are
getting harder and harder to find. Sad.

charlie b
B a r r y

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:45:37 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

It's funny how we seem to view "foreiegn" tools as being better than
local tools. In the USA chisels from Buck, Sears and the like are
readily
available and relatively cheap. Japanese, German, Austrian and Swiss
however go for a more premium price and we seem to be willing to
pay that premium price because "they must be better, they'r made in
(fill in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Japan).

Huh? G

Current Buck Bros. and Sears chisels flat out suck for fine
woodworking. I own some of them.

My Marples Blue Chips are OK, but I prefer chiseling to resharpening.

I've _actually used_ Two Cherries, Sorby, various Japanese, and some
American made "Warranted steel" antique chisels that are far better
tools than Buck or Sears, which is the real reason why they cost more.
I've never even bothered to check where they were made.

Check those glass cases for LN planes next time. When the USA makes a
superior product, the rest of the world will pay the same premiums
that we pay for imported goods.

Barry

Daniel

FWW #139 pp. 52-57 (December 1999) has a lab test on some bench
chisels, and they tested the Hirsch chisels with an octagonal handle.
The octagonal-handled Hirshs rated better than the Two Cherries for
toughness (a before/after edge retension measurement), and ranked
right after the Japanese laminated-style chisels. The Marples blue
chip were second-last.

The article also states that the Hirsch and Two Cherries are
manufactured in the same factory.

I'd love to get a set of the Hirsh chisels from LV, but SWMBO would
kill me...

- Daniel (who hasn't built a single significant piece of furniture
yet)

"Robin Lee" wrote in message m...
Hirsch - same factory, different label (and handle) - much lower price...

Cheers -

Rob
(who HAS a vested interest...)

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:45:37 -0800, charlie b
brought forth from the murky depths:

It's funny how we seem to view "foreiegn" tools as being better than
local tools. In the USA chisels from Buck, Sears and the like are
readily
available and relatively cheap. Japanese, German, Austrian and Swiss
however go for a more premium price and we seem to be willing to
pay that premium price because "they must be better, they'r made in
(fill in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Japan).

If someone offered me one or a truckload of new Buck or
Searz tools, I'd run away. I'd take a single Pfeil gouge
over a complete set of Searz.

I looked for the locked glass case with the Buck Bros. and Sears
chisels
but there wasn't one.

Them Germans is smart, them is.

On a related note, found a little cutlery shop in Austria, well off
the
beaten tourist trails, that carried Stubai carving chisels. The
founder's
great grand daughter helped me, brining out card board boxes of Stubai
carving chisels and a separate box of octagonal handles. She knew her
carving chisels, and, with her help over an hour or so, put together
a selection for carving small stuff. Dropped close to $200 US but
left with another fond memory of doing business with a place that
had been there for over a hundred years and still a family run
business.

That sounds wonderful and I'm jealous. I ordered the LV palm chisel
set so I don't feel too bad about it. They're US-made, y'know. (I
just found that out today.)

I have only one Henry Taylor chisel and it is too brittle
for my tastes. The old, old Bucks are great, and Pfeil (which
I do own) and Stubai (which I don't yet own) feel great, too.
I've seen the Ashley Isles gouges in the Rockler store in Sandy
Eggo and they looked nice but I haven't tried them. I'm happy
with most of my Marples gouges and Blue Chip chisels. And the
urethane mallet is stories above the wooden mallets. My wrists
like it much better, as they do the little bronze mallet.

* Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
* --Noah * http://www.diversify.com
Damned if i know

You could try the new lie nielsen A2 tool steel chisels. I don't think
they're even on the website yet but they've been offered for $200 for a set
of five ranging from 1/8" to 3/4". Haven't seen anything on what the larger
sizes will cost but I bet it will be a lot.
[...]

RB

Got mine last week. Great chisels. The only bad part is last week end
I was reminded of my dislike for round handles. Why did LN put round
handles on an otherwise superb tool?

RB

Damned if i know wrote:
[...]

Juergen Hannappel

charlie b writes:

B a r r y wrote:

[...]

Marples Blue Chips and the Bucks regularly and the butt chisels which
I think are by Sorby sometimes. But the Zweis Kirchen (I think that's
Two Cherries in German) chisels are being reserved for "house

In German they are just called "Kirschen" (Kirchen would be churches),
the "Two" (wich would be "zwei") is silently dropped.

[...]

while 12 year old scotch is easy to find, "mom and pop stores" are
getting harder and harder to find. Sad.

Full Ack.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Nate Perkins

B a r r y wrote in message . ..
Folks,
I DAGS and noticed a lot of you have purchased Two Cherries
chisels.

Do you still like them?

Yes, I like them a great deal. They are my most valued hand tools and
I use them constantly. I also have an 8mm Hirsch mortising chisel
that seems to be of similar good quality.

Cheers,
Nate

wood page: http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperkins1/index.htm