B a r r y

Default Chisels? Two Cherries?

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:45:37 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

It's funny how we seem to view "foreiegn" tools as being better than
local tools. In the USA chisels from Buck, Sears and the like are
readily
available and relatively cheap. Japanese, German, Austrian and Swiss
however go for a more premium price and we seem to be willing to
pay that premium price because "they must be better, they'r made in
(fill in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Japan).

Huh? G

Current Buck Bros. and Sears chisels flat out suck for fine
woodworking. I own some of them.

My Marples Blue Chips are OK, but I prefer chiseling to resharpening.

I've _actually used_ Two Cherries, Sorby, various Japanese, and some
American made "Warranted steel" antique chisels that are far better
tools than Buck or Sears, which is the real reason why they cost more.
I've never even bothered to check where they were made.

Check those glass cases for LN planes next time. When the USA makes a
superior product, the rest of the world will pay the same premiums
that we pay for imported goods.

Barry