RB

Default Chisels? Two Cherries?

Got mine last week. Great chisels. The only bad part is last week end
I was reminded of my dislike for round handles. Why did LN put round
handles on an otherwise superb tool?

RB

Damned if i know wrote:
You could try the new lie nielsen A2 tool steel chisels. I don't think
they're even on the website yet but they've been offered for $200 for a set
of five ranging from 1/8" to 3/4". Haven't seen anything on what the larger
sizes will cost but I bet it will be a lot.
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:45:37 -0800, charlie b
brought forth from the murky depths:

It's funny how we seem to view "foreiegn" tools as being better than
local tools. In the USA chisels from Buck, Sears and the like are
readily
available and relatively cheap. Japanese, German, Austrian and Swiss
however go for a more premium price and we seem to be willing to
pay that premium price because "they must be better, they'r made in
(fill in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Japan).

If someone offered me one or a truckload of new Buck or
Searz tools, I'd run away. I'd take a single Pfeil gouge
over a complete set of Searz.

I looked for the locked glass case with the Buck Bros. and Sears
chisels
but there wasn't one.

Them Germans is smart, them is.

On a related note, found a little cutlery shop in Austria, well off
the
beaten tourist trails, that carried Stubai carving chisels. The
founder's
great grand daughter helped me, brining out card board boxes of Stubai
carving chisels and a separate box of octagonal handles. She knew her
carving chisels, and, with her help over an hour or so, put together
a selection for carving small stuff. Dropped close to $200 US but
left with another fond memory of doing business with a place that
had been there for over a hundred years and still a family run
business.

That sounds wonderful and I'm jealous. I ordered the LV palm chisel
set so I don't feel too bad about it. They're US-made, y'know. (I
just found that out today.)

I have only one Henry Taylor chisel and it is too brittle
for my tastes. The old, old Bucks are great, and Pfeil (which
I do own) and Stubai (which I don't yet own) feel great, too.
I've seen the Ashley Isles gouges in the Rockler store in Sandy
Eggo and they looked nice but I haven't tried them. I'm happy
with most of my Marples gouges and Blue Chip chisels. And the
urethane mallet is stories above the wooden mallets. My wrists
like it much better, as they do the little bronze mallet.

* Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
* --Noah * http://www.diversify.com