AAvK

Possibly the frog design is the second of the
four designs described he

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#num3

Yeah that's exactly it. Second from the left. The seller told me it
is a type 8 as he was reading from the Walters book in his email
to me, I confirmed it online:
http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/sta..._plane/dating/
It is a "B" casting with no maker's name anywhere besides "No 6"
on the toe.

Contrary to what Mr Leach says, that frog design has a
bad reputation. It is flexible enough that the cutter
can take a nose-dive when you hit tough spot in the wood.

I didn't experience that when planing doug fir and its many knots
but it is not a very hard wood. I kept the screws nice and tight.

My guess would be that the face of
the frog on which the cutter rests is
not flat, or the problem with the
lever cap screw causes it to bear
down harder on one side of the cap
iron.

Actually I cannot tell too well by looking at it, other than that it is
perfectly flat. I imagined it is some misalignment of mounting to the
reciever... very hard to see. But I did notice some kind of indiscernible
skew there. It is like a rise that causes it at an odd angle, I wouldn't
know how to fettle it because everything is much too slight.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

I ALWAYS have that problem with wedged