Conan The Librarian

Patriarch wrote:

I have a #6, of early '60's vintage, which I bought from a tool dealer
who used to frequent these parts years ago, and used to put out a
monthly list to various hand plane addicts. An unused old plane,
without hassle, at a fair price, in great shape, from someone who
clearly knew what he was selling, and planned on selling more of them as
the years went on.

Yes, I paid more than eBay prices for this tool. But I didn't have to
'win' anything, play sniping games, worry about the seller, or even do
all that much homework. The tool was sent on approval, and had I not
found it to be what I needed, I was responsible to send it back.
Otherwise, a personal check was sufficient. There is a lot to be said
for that business model, and someone who is willing to make a go of
that.

I wonder what Patrick is up to these days? I've seen no email list in
some time. Maybe he still has an old address of mine.

Patrick is still up to the same old tricks. I'm still on his
mailing list, as even though I'm not buying a lot planes these days, I
love to see the sorts of things he uncovers; it's a history lesson in
its own right.

I bought my first oldtool from him back about 8 years ago. It was a
type 14 #4. I hardly use it anymore (I have too many smoothers that
work better than it does), but I'll never forget opening that box and
disassembling the plane while pondering its history.

It was all downhill from there ... on rollerskates ... with a
jetpack on my back. :-)

nearing 3 dozen handplanes, and still nowhere near the most addicted in
his neighborhood...

Hmmm ... a quick mental count puts me at about 3 dozen as well. and
then there are the spokeshaves ... and saws ... and chisels ... and ...

Chuck Vance (wheeeeeeeee!!!)