Conan The Librarian wrote:
AAvK wrote:

At the same time, when setting the blade for depth of cut, somehow
it is always skewing itself and a final skew setting is always to
one side or the other. I don't know if that is the result of the frog,
which stands up off the floor of the bed at the mouth (throat) area
about 3/32". I can't telll if it needs to be fettled by just looking at it.
But obviously it seats on the reciever and all surfaces are flat....

Yikes, I can see why you aren't fond if it. I'm wondering if the
frog screw wasn't a retrofit. Without having a plane in front of me to
look at, I don't recall any double/mating bevels on frog screws.

The part that really concerns me is where you say the frog sits
proud; it should be flush with the bed.

Possibly the frog design is the second of the
four designs described he

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#num3

Contrary to what Mr Leach says, that frog design has a
bad reputation. It is flexible enough that the cutter
can take a nose-dive when you hit tough spot in the wood.

As for the skewing of the iron, when you are setting the plane up,
how tight do you have the lever screw?

My guess would be that the face of
the frog on which the cutter rests is
not flat, or the problem with the