Spoefish

Default Angle for skew chisels

After having wanted a pair of skew chisels for years, but being to
cheap to buy them and too lazy to make them, I finally found a new set
of Crown (the brand sold by Woodcraft) on E**** for about half price.
They were new and 1/2" wide, and long enough to make them quite
useful. I am sorry now that I did not get them years ago. The
grinding on them is pretty crude, and they are too polished and
rounded (over buffed) for my taste. Picked up some nice Marples
boxwood handled 5/8" chisels to make a pair for me and one for my son.
The Crown chisels have a 45 degree skew, and I was wondering if
anyone has any experience with the Skew angle? On the ones I am
making I will rough them out on my belt grinder then finish them on my
Tormek - I don't think there is a problem grinding the right angle (25
degrees) with the skew. I could do trial and error witht the skew
angle, but that could waste a lot of chisel. Any advice or experience
would be appreciated. Wow, it this turns out I might go for the "40
marples for $150" special and make 20 sets - make a lot of friends
happy. Thanks

Stephen
bugbear

Spoefish wrote:

The Crown chisels have a 45 degree skew, and I was wondering if
anyone has any experience with the Skew angle?

If you want them for cleaing out lapped
drawer dovetails, you want 'em a little steeper
than your DT angle.

BugBear