robo hippy

Default Drought

It has been very dull and boring here. The summer is here and everyone
is out doing other things.

This is just an observation. We are in our fifth year of below normal
rainfall here in western Oregon. This year, since the rainy season
began in October, we are about 24 inches behind normal. I can tell how
dry it has been because of the fresh wood that I am turning. Normally,
at this time of year, I would expect that a fresh cut tree would give
me, the walls, and ceiling a drenching shower with all of the water in
it. Instead, all I get is a few spots on my glasses, and a bit of
surface water on the bowl. the bowls are drying in less than half the
normal time. This is just too weird.
robo hippy

Andy

And yet the powers that be insist we need more data before we do
anything about global warming or global climate change... Heaven
forbid we take any pre-emptive action to protect the environment.

Dave Hinz

On 1 Jul 2005 07:33:53 -0700, Andy wrote:
And yet the powers that be insist we need more data before we do
anything about global warming or global climate change... Heaven
forbid we take any pre-emptive action to protect the environment.

You're confusing "weather" with "climate".

Duane Bozarth

robo hippy wrote:

It has been very dull and boring here. The summer is here and everyone
is out doing other things.

This is just an observation. We are in our fifth year of below normal
rainfall here in western Oregon. This year, since the rainy season
began in October, we are about 24 inches behind normal. I can tell how
dry it has been because of the fresh wood that I am turning. Normally,
at this time of year, I would expect that a fresh cut tree would give
me, the walls, and ceiling a drenching shower with all of the water in
it. Instead, all I get is a few spots on my glasses, and a bit of
surface water on the bowl. the bowls are drying in less than half the
normal time. This is just too weird.
robo hippy

We've been in a similar period until last summer...this year so far has
been near normal, altho we're starting to get really dry again. (Of
course, just now we're trying to finish up wheat harvest so we'd be glad
to see another few days of no severe storms and dry, then some
moisture.)

Allen

In article . com,
"Andy" wrote:

And yet the powers that be insist we need more data before we do
anything about global warming or global climate change... Heaven
forbid we take any pre-emptive action to protect the environment.

Let's see in Portland area you have received about 55% of the normal
rainfall this year compared to the 1970 to 2000 average. Yet Southern
California has received almost 200% of it's normal rainfall in the same
time. Using micro-measurements to predict or track macro changes is not
good science. That being said there is no doubt that the worlds climate
is changing. The questions that have relevance are. What is man's effect
in that and what can we do to change the current trends? We are far
better off spending money and time fixing what we can with clean water,
open space, cleaning up some of the industrial messes and such quality
of life issues that buying into some one world solution where the burden
is lain on the big nations and all the "developing nations" continue
business as normal.

It's another one of those subjects where newsgroup postings will not
change anyone's mind but it's Friday and I just couldn't restrain
myself. If you want to make a difference this weekend take a bag along
on your hike and pick up trash in the state park as you go along, don't
put more fertilizer on your grass and make sure you turn off the lights
when you leave the room. Think local it makes a real difference.

Sorry for the rant.
Allen
mac davis

On 1 Jul 2005 00:02:08 -0700, "robo hippy" wrote:

It has been very dull and boring here. The summer is here and everyone
is out doing other things.

This is just an observation. We are in our fifth year of below normal
rainfall here in western Oregon. This year, since the rainy season
began in October, we are about 24 inches behind normal. I can tell how
dry it has been because of the fresh wood that I am turning. Normally,
at this time of year, I would expect that a fresh cut tree would give
me, the walls, and ceiling a drenching shower with all of the water in
it. Instead, all I get is a few spots on my glasses, and a bit of
surface water on the bowl. the bowls are drying in less than half the
normal time. This is just too weird.
robo hippy

wow.. come south for a while!

Central CA. has almost 3 times "average" rain fall this winter and we're
draining reservoirs twice this year... once to make room for all the rain, the
2nd time to make room for all the run off from melting snow...
The down side is that now we have way more grass and shrubs turning brown in the
100+ heat and creating a really dangerous fire hazard..

We've been turning pine and fir from the Sequoia Nat. forest and it's so wet
that we figure that it had to be under the snow all winter...
I have towels tacked to the ceiling over the lathe and a plastic sheet between
the lathe and workbench, and I'm still spraying water all over the shop..
Come On Down!!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
robo hippy

Actually, this post was supposed to go to the rec turners group. It was
late thirty when I did this after several long nights getting ready for
the nest two shows, this weekend and next. What gets me is that weather
drought or monsoons, they blame it on El Nino, and or la Nina. The year
before the drought started, we had double the normal rainfall. I guess
that is why they call it 'average' rainfall.
robo hippy

mac davis

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:07:18 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

snip

We've been in a similar period until last summer...this year so far has
been near normal, altho we're starting to get really dry again. (Of
course, just now we're trying to finish up wheat harvest so we'd be glad
to see another few days of no severe storms and dry, then some
moisture.)

Funny that you mention crops, Dave... A neighbor is a county Ag inspector and
she's been working WAY too much overtime this month..
She was saying last night that the "stone crops" (peaches, plums, etc.) usually
are ready to pick in mid or late July, but it's been such a wet winter and hot
spring/summer that they've been picking them since early June...
(shortly after a spring rain storm screwed up the raisin crop, a biggie around
here)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Andy

Think local it makes a real difference.

Sorry for the rant.
Allen

Allen,
I agree completely - our primary responsibility definitely has to be
our personal choices. The products we spray on our lawn, the cars we
drive, how much we drive, the foods we eat, and even the woods we
choose all have impacts beyond our yards or driveways or kitchens or
shops.

Larry Jaques

On 1 Jul 2005 00:02:08 -0700, the opaque "robo hippy"
spake:

It has been very dull and boring here. The summer is here and everyone
is out doing other things.

This is just an observation. We are in our fifth year of below normal
rainfall here in western Oregon. This year, since the rainy season
began in October, we are about 24 inches behind normal. I can tell how

I'm down in GP and we're 3" ahead of normal for the dry season, 7 vs
4". There was so much rain that the apple trees got hit and we won't
be getting many apples this year as a result. My St. John's Wort is
suffering from powdery mildew and half has died off so far.

Amazing differences for just a 100 mile separation, wot?
(Eugene, right?)

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals -
http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming
Duane Bozarth

Allen wrote:

In article . com,
"Andy" wrote:

And yet the powers that be insist we need more data before we do
anything about global warming or global climate change... Heaven
forbid we take any pre-emptive action to protect the environment.

Let's see in Portland area you have received about 55% of the normal
rainfall this year compared to the 1970 to 2000 average. Yet Southern
California has received almost 200% of it's normal rainfall in the same
time. Using micro-measurements to predict or track macro changes is not
good science. That being said there is no doubt that the worlds climate
is changing. ...

Well, the last certainly doesn't follow from the preceding...and it's
not totally clear there's anything outside other normal cycles despite
the claims of proponents of the theory...

That said, there's certainly reason to consider environmental
impact.
Jeff Gagnon

Right with you there, buddy. Seems like there's nowhere you can go
ANYWHERE... shore, parks, even state forests... and there's plastic
bags, bottles and wrappers wherever you go. Not to mention "empty"
plastic cigarette lighters.
They're like mushrooms... everywhere.

If "Littering" becomes an olympic sport, the USA will take the gold,
silver, and bronze medals every year. It IS a local thing, people. Pick
up the first plastic bag you see in the woods, and I'll bet you can fill
it with other litter in 15 minutes. You'll feel a little better when you
drop it off in a trash can.

Back to the shop. Gotta finish the solid walnut bathtub before the
plumber gets here.

Jeff

Duane Bozarth

robo hippy wrote:

Actually, this post was supposed to go to the rec turners group. It was
late thirty when I did this after several long nights getting ready for
the nest two shows, this weekend and next. What gets me is that weather
drought or monsoons, they blame it on El Nino, and or la Nina. The year
before the drought started, we had double the normal rainfall. I guess
that is why they call it 'average' rainfall.
robo hippy

Yep...areas such as where you are tend (over the long run) to have
something more nearly resembling an average. Here, where virtually our
entire annual rainfall (which averages on the order of 18") comes in the
form of scattered thunderstorms in the spring/early summer, the thought
of any year being "average" is purely a statistical concept.

Three years ago was the driest we've recorded at the farm since Grandpa
came in 1912--less than 7". That beat the lowest of the "Dirty
Thirties" Dust Bowl year by over 2". Last year was something over 27",
third-highest in town since they began keeping records in 1888 (only a
blink in time, of course). It's only slightly under a 1% probability
that any given day is a new "record" for us...
John DeBoo

Thats because they only eat shriveled up raw veggies, don't drive, don't
use wood, gas or oil for heat or cooking, don't bathe(pew!) and walk
wherever they go. Problem is they live too far from anyplace to walk to
and don't have the strength to get there on veggies only. SInce they
can't get anyplace to argue with anybody, they argue with themselves and
believe the sky is falling. That's confusion!

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

On 1 Jul 2005 07:33:53 -0700, Andy wrote:

And yet the powers that be insist we need more data before we do
anything about global warming or global climate change... Heaven
forbid we take any pre-emptive action to protect the environment.

You're confusing "weather" with "climate".

Allen Epps

In article ,
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Allen wrote:

In article . com,
"Andy" wrote:

And yet the powers that be insist we need more data before we do
anything about global warming or global climate change... Heaven
forbid we take any pre-emptive action to protect the environment.

Let's see in Portland area you have received about 55% of the normal
rainfall this year compared to the 1970 to 2000 average. Yet Southern
California has received almost 200% of it's normal rainfall in the same
time. Using micro-measurements to predict or track macro changes is not
good science. That being said there is no doubt that the worlds climate
is changing. ...

Well, the last certainly doesn't follow from the preceding...and it's
not totally clear there's anything outside other normal cycles despite
the claims of proponents of the theory...

That said, there's certainly reason to consider environmental
impact.

I guess that's my point Duane. I buy into global climatic change but I
do not buy into global warming nor do I believe that man's totally
responsible for said changes as they well be cyclic stuff that's been
going on for millions of years nor am I convinced we can break that
change cycle. What we can do is make sure where we hang out every day is
clean and we can drink the water and fish in it and it's not all paved
and I have wood to build stuff with and I have deer to hunt and pheasant
for the Finn McCool the Wonder pup to chase (and me to shoot and eat).
It all comes down to quality of life. I don't want to live in a bubble
so I do what can to keep my part neat and clean.

Allen

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even
though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that
knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt
Doug Miller

In article , Allen Epps wrote:

I guess that's my point Duane. I buy into global climatic change but I
do not buy into global warming nor do I believe that man's totally
responsible for said changes as they well be cyclic stuff that's been
going on for millions of years

BINGO! We're actually still in the most recent Ice Age. Throughout most of the
earth's existence, it's been a *lot* warmer than it is now.

nor am I convinced we can break that
change cycle.

I'm not even convinced we should *try*.

What we can do is make sure where we hang out every day is
clean and we can drink the water and fish in it and it's not all paved
and I have wood to build stuff with and I have deer to hunt and pheasant
for the Finn McCool the Wonder pup to chase (and me to shoot and eat).
It all comes down to quality of life. I don't want to live in a bubble
so I do what can to keep my part neat and clean.

Ayup.

--
Regards,

Lobby Dosser

"robo hippy" wrote:

It has been very dull and boring here. The summer is here and everyone
is out doing other things.

This is just an observation. We are in our fifth year of below normal
rainfall here in western Oregon. This year, since the rainy season
began in October, we are about 24 inches behind normal. I can tell how
dry it has been because of the fresh wood that I am turning. Normally,
at this time of year, I would expect that a fresh cut tree would give
me, the walls, and ceiling a drenching shower with all of the water in
it. Instead, all I get is a few spots on my glasses, and a bit of
surface water on the bowl. the bowls are drying in less than half the
normal time. This is just too weird.
robo hippy

This is part of a Cycle. When I moved to western Oregon in 1970 we had
cold, snowy winters. Then it got warm and dry. Then the Californians moved
here. Then it got wet. Then it got dry. then ...
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:54:43 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

"robo hippy" wrote:

[...]

... but at what part of the cycle do the Caliofornians leave? Asking,
because they seem to be moving to Tucson also. :-)

Lobby Dosser

wrote:

"robo hippy" wrote:

[...]

I haven't seen that part yet. I'm hoping I live that long. )

Sure way of knowing they're Californians is they whine a lot during the
wet cycles. Tucson they probably whine during the Real Hot cycles.

Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:13:47 -0400, (Jeff Gagnon) wrote:

Right with you there, buddy. Seems like there's nowhere you can go
ANYWHERE... shore, parks, even state forests... and there's plastic
bags, bottles and wrappers wherever you go. Not to mention "empty"
plastic cigarette lighters.
They're like mushrooms... everywhere.

Funny, we just spent a day in Rocky Mountain National forest a few weeks
ago. Very little litter anywhere, neither at the picnic area nor around
Bear Lake or Nymph Lake, nor in any of the parking lots.

Spent time on the beach in Oceanside, California in April. Again, no
real significant amount of trash except in a few places along the wave
barriers where some had been deposited by waves -- but not in any real
great amounts.

If "Littering" becomes an olympic sport, the USA will take the gold,
silver, and bronze medals every year. It IS a local thing, people. Pick
up the first plastic bag you see in the woods, and I'll bet you can fill
it with other litter in 15 minutes. You'll feel a little better when you
drop it off in a trash can.

Wouldn't exactly bet on that. Had some friends who spent time in Japan,
they climbed Mt Fuji and were astounded at the huge amount of litter (bags,
water bottles, etc.) on the trail. They indicated it was worse than
anything they had seen at US Parks.

Back to the shop. Gotta finish the solid walnut bathtub before the
plumber gets here.

Jeff

Allen Epps

In article ,
Mark & Juanita wrote:

[...]

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---+

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---+

I agree. While we're not terribly clean we're doing a lot better than we
did in the 70's. It's also regionally worse in places. It was not
uncommon to see someone toss something out a car window when I lived in
Pensacola FL but when I lived in Washington state you never saw that
and I suspect people would have tracked you down if you had. I see some
on my weekend hikes here in MD but it's usually Sat am and attributable
to kids out partying on Friday night and such. I'm also not the only one
I see hiking with a shopping bag and rarely is my bag ever full.

Allen
Glen

Lobby Dosser wrote:SNIP

... but at what part of the cycle do the Caliofornians leave?
Asking,
because they seem to be moving to Tucson also. :-)

I haven't seen that part yet. I'm hoping I live that long. )

Sure way of knowing they're Californians is they whine a lot during the
wet cycles. Tucson they probably whine during the Real Hot cycles.

Hell, I live in a FORMERLY remote desert area of California, and with
all our growth I wonder when the Californians will leave! These clowns
move from the LA area, then gripe about the desert heat, kids on dirt
bikes, people riding horses down our dirt roads, dirt roads in general,
etc. etc. etc. They claim "People didn't do this in LA'" or "It's not
like this in LA," Well, dammit, this ain't freakin' LA.

Glen

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...

wrote:

Right with you there, buddy. Seems like there's nowhere you can go
ANYWHERE... shore, parks, even state forests... and there's plastic
bags, bottles and wrappers wherever you go. Not to mention "empty"
plastic cigarette lighters.
They're like mushrooms... everywhere.

If "Littering" becomes an olympic sport, the USA will take the gold,
silver, and bronze medals every year. It IS a local thing, people. Pick
up the first plastic bag you see in the woods, and I'll bet you can fill
it with other litter in 15 minutes. You'll feel a little better when you
drop it off in a trash can.

Kind of makes me feel fortunate to live where I do. I don't see that
much litter around anywhere in my area- don't know if that's a matter
of efficient road crews, adopt-a-highway programs, high littering
fines, or people just not throwing trash all over (probably a
combination of all of that) but there's definately not as much crap on
the roadways as there used to be! I do remember it being a real
problem 10 or 15 years ago, but these days an empty can on the side of
the road sticks out like a sore thumb. The biggest difference is in
the volume of cigarette butts- there used to be drifts of those
suckers in every gutter, but there aren't really that many anymore.

It seems to vary quite a bit. I have been hiking in
the Great Smoky Mtns National Park for 40 years or so, and have
seen quite a change there. In the 70s and 80s, It was amazing
how much trash there was along the trails. Drink containers,
cigarette cases, mayo bottles, cans, etc. Even found a number
of used, disposable diapers. I got in the habit of taking a
trash bag along, and would often fill it on a short hike.
However, in the 90s, things improved quite a bit, and,
while there IS some trash on the trails these days, it is
far less obvious than it used to be. There is also a
somewhat smaller number of trash items along the road by
the front of my property...but, there are STILL a lot of
empty beer containers...
So...some improvement here and there, but, not QUITE
enough yet.
Regards
dave mundt

Nick

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:00:05 GMT, (Dave Mundt) wrote:

Greetings and Salutations...

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 06:51:19 -0500, Prometheus
wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:13:47 -0400,
(Jeff Gagnon)