Duane Bozarth

robo hippy wrote:

Actually, this post was supposed to go to the rec turners group. It was
late thirty when I did this after several long nights getting ready for
the nest two shows, this weekend and next. What gets me is that weather
drought or monsoons, they blame it on El Nino, and or la Nina. The year
before the drought started, we had double the normal rainfall. I guess
that is why they call it 'average' rainfall.
robo hippy

Yep...areas such as where you are tend (over the long run) to have
something more nearly resembling an average. Here, where virtually our
entire annual rainfall (which averages on the order of 18") comes in the
form of scattered thunderstorms in the spring/early summer, the thought
of any year being "average" is purely a statistical concept.

Three years ago was the driest we've recorded at the farm since Grandpa
came in 1912--less than 7". That beat the lowest of the "Dirty
Thirties" Dust Bowl year by over 2". Last year was something over 27",
third-highest in town since they began keeping records in 1888 (only a
blink in time, of course). It's only slightly under a 1% probability
that any given day is a new "record" for us...