dean

Default Do you use bar oil in your chainsaw?

Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Any comments?

Dean

zelix

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Any comments?

Dean

I worked with a professional tree service for 7 years. We used the bar oil
or motor oil . Whatever was available at the time.. Using motor oil never
hurt any saw we had. We used Stihls, we had Huskys, Echos (long time ago).
Never hurt any of them. the main thing is to make sure that the bar gets
oil. Theres a slot that the chain runs in.. sometimes it's good to clean
that out. It can get gunked up a bit. That'll help keep the bar lubed up.

Morris Dovey

dean wrote:
Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30
engine oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was
just wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Any comments?

Used 10W30 in my Stihl from the time I bought it until it was
"borrowed" by an uninvited guest - about five- years - and it worked
well for me.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Al Reid

"dean" wrote in message oups.com...
Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Any comments?

Dean

I put used motor oil in my saw. Good way to get rig of it.

--

Al Reid

Edwin Pawlowski

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Any comments?

I've seen all sort of crappy oil used, even used motor oil. It works. OTOH,
I'm still on my first gallon of bar oil that I paid about $5.

Juergen Hannappel

"dean" writes:

Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

The oil on the chain will be distributed in you environment it's
totally unacceptable to use a non-biodegradable oil for lubricating
the saw. The pro's you have seen obviously don't care a dam about the
rest of the world and should be [insert punishment of choice]...

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Modat22

On 22 Jun 2005 07:27:39 -0700, "dean" wrote:

Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Any comments?

Dean

I use stihl bar lube and stp mixed 10 to 1, it might sound silly but
my chain seems to stay sharp longer with less stretch. I cut alot of
locust trees for posts and firewood each season.

In misc.rural dean wrote:
Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Any comments?

I use Poulan bar oil from Walmart. Its 30 weight with a tackifier (sp?) in
it so it sticks to the chain better than motor oil. Since it doesn't have
any of the additives needed to keep an engine clean, its cheaper than motor
oil too.

Doug Miller

In article , "Al Reid" wrote:
"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Any comments?

I put used motor oil in my saw. Good way to get rig of it.

No, not really.

The suspended solids and other junk (such as combustion byproducts) in used
motor oil don't do either the bar or the chain any good. That gunk is better
off being recycled and disposed of properly.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article .com, "dean" wrote:
Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Bar & chain oil is a *lot* thicker and stickier than motor oil. This helps it
stay on the chain. Motor oil will work, but it gets slung off the chain pretty
quickly, so you have to replenish the oil reservoir more often. And it makes a
hell of a mess.

Bottom line: motor oil is cheaper, but you use more of it. I'm guessing it's
about even, price-wise.

--
Regards,

Al Reid

"Doug Miller" wrote in message . ..
In article , "Al Reid" wrote:
"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Any comments?

I put used motor oil in my saw. Good way to get rig of it.

No, not really.

The suspended solids and other junk (such as combustion byproducts) in used
motor oil don't do either the bar or the chain any good. That gunk is better
off being recycled and disposed of properly.

--
Regards,

Doug,

I have never actually put used motor oil in my saws, although I have been told that it can be done. I was just testing a theory
that if I said I did that Doug Miller would be the first one to tell me that I was wrong to do so.

Theory proven correct ;^)

--

Al Reid

Andy Dingley

On 22 Jun 2005 07:27:39 -0700, "dean" wrote:

Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil.

Scrotum or bladder cancer. No thanks ! Whatever you use as an oil,
you're also breathing it as an aerosol. I won't use engine oil and I
certainly won't use used engine oil.

There's also the issue of staining valuable timber with it.

Doug Miller

In article , "Al Reid" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article , "Al Reid"

wrote:
"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Any comments?

I put used motor oil in my saw. Good way to get rig of it.

No, not really.

The suspended solids and other junk (such as combustion byproducts) in used
motor oil don't do either the bar or the chain any good. That gunk is better
off being recycled and disposed of properly.

Doug,

I have never actually put used motor oil in my saws, although I have been told
that it can be done. I was just testing a theory
that if I said I did that Doug Miller would be the first one to tell me that I
was wrong to do so.

Theory proven correct ;^)

Are you a jerk in real life, too, or just on Usenet?

--
Regards,

Duane Bozarth

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Al Reid" wrote:
"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Any comments?

I put used motor oil in my saw. Good way to get rig of it.

No, not really.

The suspended solids and other junk (such as combustion byproducts) in used
motor oil don't do either the bar or the chain any good. That gunk is better
off being recycled and disposed of properly.

Actually, I never thought of it, but I really doubt it's really doing
any harm--it's not a demanding lubrication problem and the solids
suspended in the oil aren't anything much to compare to the junk that's
being collected on the bar anyway...

imo, $0.02, ymmv, etc., ....

Elmo

Juergen Hannappel wrote:
"dean" writes:

Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

The oil on the chain will be distributed in you environment it's
totally unacceptable to use a non-biodegradable oil for lubricating
the saw. The pro's you have seen obviously don't care a dam about the
rest of the world and should be [insert punishment of choice]...

So should I be using canola oil, peanut oil, soybean oil, olive oil, or is there
something better?

--
Proud member of the reality-based community.
Duane Bozarth

Juergen Hannappel wrote:

"dean" writes:

Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

The oil on the chain will be distributed in you environment it's
totally unacceptable to use a non-biodegradable oil for lubricating
the saw. The pro's you have seen obviously don't care a dam about the
rest of the world and should be [insert punishment of choice]...

Well, they are cutting trees, aren't they, the scum...

I really doubt the base of bar oil is any different than that for engine
oil...just viscosity and (perhaps) some specific additives, but I'd not
expect much there as the lubrication requirements are not onerous in
terms of temperature, pressure, tolerances, etc.
mac davis

On 22 Jun 2005 07:27:39 -0700, "dean" wrote:

Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Any comments?

Dean

On our old (craftsman) saw, the manual specified 30w motor oil... we gave it a
lot of use for about 6 years and only replaced the chain once..

On our new stihl, the dealer gave me 4 quarts of stihl chain saw oil at cost, if
I promised not to use motor oil later.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Duane Bozarth

Doug Miller wrote:
The suspended solids in used engine oil are, for the most part, fine particles
of metal. The junk that collects on the bar during use is wood dust. Surely
you don't imagine that the two produce the same degree of wear on the chain
and bar.

A lot of the chips and dust are wood, but a lot isn't--the inevitable
dirt and other grime is at least as abrasive as the much smaller
diameter particles that made it through the engine oil filter...after
all, you wouldn't be particularly concerned to run your auto another 500
or even 1000 miles above the 3000 mi mark if you were on a trip and
needed that to get home for a more convenient oil change, would you?
The lube requirements of any modern engine are far more onerous...
Edwin Pawlowski

"Elmo" wrote in message
So should I be using canola oil, peanut oil, soybean oil, olive oil, or is
there something better?

Stihl, for one, does have a vegetable based oil

JuanKnighter

FWIW. I'm not an expert on chain saws, although I do own a Stihl. When I
was racing dirt bikes offroad, I always used what the bike shop recommended
on the chain.
This stuff was stickier than dog **** but it didnt fly off the chain and IT
DIDNT PICK UP CRAP like motor oil.

Modat22

The oil on the chain will be distributed in you environment it's
totally unacceptable to use a non-biodegradable oil for lubricating
the saw. The pro's you have seen obviously don't care a dam about the
rest of the world and should be [insert punishment of choice]...

So should I be using canola oil, peanut oil, soybean oil, olive oil, or is there
something better?

There is a resin based bar lube that is bio safe but it will turn to a
solid if you left it sit too long.

I rented a chainsaw this weekend. Ran out of bar oil,
went to the rental shop. They filled the bar oil bottle
with 30w oil because they didn't have any bar oil left.
This was done by the lead supervisor on the job so it
must be ok.

Michael

Garrett Fulton

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:

In article ,

wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
The suspended solids in used engine oil are, for the most part, fine
particles
of metal. The junk that collects on the bar during use is wood dust.

Surely
you don't imagine that the two produce the same degree of wear on the

chain
and bar.

A lot of the chips and dust are wood, but a lot isn't--the inevitable
dirt and other grime is at least as abrasive as the much smaller
diameter particles that made it through the engine oil filter...after
all, you wouldn't be particularly concerned to run your auto another

500
or even 1000 miles above the 3000 mi mark if you were on a trip and
needed that to get home for a more convenient oil change, would you?
The lube requirements of any modern engine are far more onerous...

Just the same, it should be obvious that you're not doing your chain saw

any
good by running used motor oil through it.

By the same token, I don't think it at all obvious there would be much
difference observable one way or the other as opposed to clean motor
oil...

Seems to me like the "stale gas" thread or the "diluted 2-cycle gas in
4-cycle engine" threads of recent history...

Duane,
I've got a 25 yr. old Poulan that has an 18 yr. old bar. I've used the
hell out of that saw on_big_trees over the years. Only reason I changed the
bar was it got bent when a tree pinched it when I was cutting on a hillside.
I've always filled the bar oil tank with used motor oil. My chains last a
long time and it should be evident that it sure didn't do any damage to the
bar. I do pump the oiler quite a bit on the saw and keep the bar well
lubed. Now................................wait for it.
Some horse's ass will tell me I'm spreading carcinogens to the little forest
creatures who might come and lick the stump that has used motor oil on it.

Garrett Fulton

Good luck with finding the biolube. None of the local dealers stock it.
None want to bother ordering it.

Duane Bozarth

Garrett Fulton wrote:
Duane,
I've got a 25 yr. old Poulan that has an 18 yr. old bar. I've used the
hell out of that saw on_big_trees over the years. Only reason I changed the
bar was it got bent when a tree pinched it when I was cutting on a hillside.
I've always filled the bar oil tank with used motor oil. My chains last a
long time and it should be evident that it sure didn't do any damage to the
bar. I do pump the oiler quite a bit on the saw and keep the bar well
lubed. Now................................wait for it.
Some horse's ass will tell me I'm spreading carcinogens to the little forest
creatures who might come and lick the stump that has used motor oil on it.

Sound like your thinking parallels mine...

I'd never thought of it as a use for the old oil and since each of the
large tractors takes 16 qts/change, it adds up pretty quickly here on
the farm...

There's only so much that can be used on combine chains, etc. I'll
probably go to a used oil burner for some heat in the shop here in
another winter or so when I get the rest of the barn refurb far enough
along to have actually got it close to tight...at present no windows in
anything except the shop itself, etc., so far so not much purpose 'til
can get farther along and farming comes first this time of year.
Norma Desmond

"Juergen Hannappel"
wrote in message
"dean" writes:

Because every professional user I have ever seen is

using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I

was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

The oil on the chain will be distributed in you

environment it's
totally unacceptable to use a non-biodegradable oil for

lubricating
the saw. The pro's you have seen obviously don't care a

dam about the
rest of the world and should be [insert punishment of

choice]...

what in the world makes you think oil is not biodegradable?

Modat22

what in the world makes you think oil is not biodegradable?

Asphalt releases more oil into the environment than chain saws ever
will.
George

"Norma Desmond" wrote in message
what in the world makes you think oil is not biodegradable?

Or for that matter, what difference does it make? I'll tell you another
thing that isn't "biodegradable" and stays forever - dirt.

Don Bruder

In article ,
Modat22 wrote:

what in the world makes you think oil is not biodegradable?

Asphalt releases more oil into the environment than chain saws ever
will.

Never mind the hundred-plus years worth of oil-leaking jalopies that
have been driven on those asphalt roads...

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.

Mark and Kim Smith

Doug Miller wrote:

snip

The suspended solids in used engine oil are, for the most part, fine particles
of metal. The junk that collects on the bar during use is wood dust. Surely
you don't imagine that the two produce the same degree of wear on the chain
and bar.

Hey Doug,

Check this out as for the hardness of wood. Check out the third
picture down!! http://www.xmission.com/~tmathews/b29/e.html
Robert Allison

dean wrote:

Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Any comments?

Dean

Having owned a small logging company for about 2 years, and
having used numerous chain saws, I vote for the cheapest oil
that you can get. NOTHING can be more abrasive to the bar
than the chain itself. The oil serves to keep it cool and
lubricated. Any oil will do that.

We bought 5 gallon buckets of reconstituted oil and mixed it
with used (strained through a paint strainer) motor oil mixed
in to make it go further. We used about 20 gallons a week.

I still have an old Poulan Countervibe 3500 from those days
that is still going strong, and that was in the 70s.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Jeff Wisnia

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

snip

The suspended solids in used engine oil are, for the most part, fine
particles of metal. The junk that collects on the bar during use is
wood dust. Surely you don't imagine that the two produce the same
degree of wear on the chain and bar.

Hey Doug,

Check this out as for the hardness of wood. Check out the third
picture down!! http://www.xmission.com/~tmathews/b29/e.html

Interesting site too..

Reminded me of the marvelous PBS Nova program about the attempt to
recover the B-29 "Kee Bird" from Greenland.

IIRC they did something creative with the wheels on that one too. Having
no source of compressed air they filled the tires with propane they had
on hand for cooking.

If you never heard about this 1994-95 rescue attempt and its unhappy
ending, here's a link:

http://b-29s-over-korea.com/shortstories/b29-frozen.htm

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Are you a jerk in real life, too, or just on Usenet?
Regards,

ROFLMAO!

"if a guy doesn't figure he's as much of an asshole as half
the guys out there he prob'ly ain't thinkin so good" -alvin

What I see, most guys figure they are in the top 1% of "good guys"
or so!

Leads to trouble, one perfect little momma's boy dealing with
another perfect little momma's boy.

If they figured they were so "good" that they fit in the top 10% I
could go along with that if they were a fairy. I figure the top 10%
of "good" guys out there are all fairies. Are you a fairy?

It's ok if you are, I'm not making a judgement on that, ok?

You judge yourself.

When a guy uses the word "proper" it kind of gives me the creeps.
That was my grandma's word and the way she saw everything, in terms
of "proper" or not. Never knew guys used that word until I got on
usenet. :/

You find it kind of creepy?
Or is it just me? :/

Alvin a real asshole (typical dumb-ass guy) in AZ
George E. Cawthon

dean wrote:
Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine
oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just
wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?

Any comments?

Dean

Huh? Bar oil is CHEAPER than 10W30 oil, if you are
buying regular 10W30. If you have excess or
essentially free 10W30 add a few ounces of Motor
Honey per gallon of oil to hold it on the bar.
There is nothing special about bar oil in the way
of lubrication.