Duane Bozarth

Garrett Fulton wrote:
Duane,
I've got a 25 yr. old Poulan that has an 18 yr. old bar. I've used the
hell out of that saw on_big_trees over the years. Only reason I changed the
bar was it got bent when a tree pinched it when I was cutting on a hillside.
I've always filled the bar oil tank with used motor oil. My chains last a
long time and it should be evident that it sure didn't do any damage to the
bar. I do pump the oiler quite a bit on the saw and keep the bar well
lubed. Now................................wait for it.
Some horse's ass will tell me I'm spreading carcinogens to the little forest
creatures who might come and lick the stump that has used motor oil on it.

Sound like your thinking parallels mine...

I'd never thought of it as a use for the old oil and since each of the
large tractors takes 16 qts/change, it adds up pretty quickly here on
the farm...

There's only so much that can be used on combine chains, etc. I'll
probably go to a used oil burner for some heat in the shop here in
another winter or so when I get the rest of the barn refurb far enough
along to have actually got it close to tight...at present no windows in
anything except the shop itself, etc., so far so not much purpose 'til
can get farther along and farming comes first this time of year.