Denis Marier

Default Unpacked new chainsaw and gas smell

Today I was at Sears looking at their 18" chainsaw.
The salesperson went into the back store and came back with a large box.
We removed the steel staples and unpacked the box. The chainsaw look good.
I removed the gas cap on the tank. I immediately smelled gasoline. I did
not know if the residual gasoline left in the tank was the result of an
engine test before shipping or something else.
Or maybe someone used this chainsaw, cleaned it and repacked it. On the
other hand it could be quite normal that every Sears (Poulan) chainsaw's
engine are tested prior to assembly and shipping. Comments would be well
appreciated.

Grandpa

Go to some other store that sells the same brand and see if a new in
the box smells, or ask the salesperson whats up with the gas smell, see
what he says, then request he bring out a 2nd one so you can lesson your
fears of a return.
Grandpa

FWIW, I like my 18" Husky 55 Rancher, kicks butt and takes names. Sears
sells them too.

Denis Marier wrote:
Today I was at Sears looking at their 18" chainsaw.
The salesperson went into the back store and came back with a large box.
We removed the steel staples and unpacked the box. The chainsaw look good.
I removed the gas cap on the tank. I immediately smelled gasoline. I did
not know if the residual gasoline left in the tank was the result of an
engine test before shipping or something else.
Or maybe someone used this chainsaw, cleaned it and repacked it. On the
other hand it could be quite normal that every Sears (Poulan) chainsaw's
engine are tested prior to assembly and shipping. Comments would be well
appreciated.

Black Sheep

Agreed. Go for a Husky! I recently bought the Husky 350 w/18" bar
through Sears. They sent the first one UPS and it came in the retail box,
no outer box. In addition it had a cracked handle. So Sear had to order a
new one, which I requested come to the store. I assumed that Sears receives
incoming shipments on pallets. The saw arrived and I brought the broken one
in for a credit.

It's a nice, balanced saw. Easy to handle. Rips into firewood and works
really nicely on big, bulky burls.

I believe in "cry once". Tissues are too damned expensive! That's why I
bought a Husky. No more crying.

Sy

Jim Gott

Agreed. Go for a Husky! I recently bought the Husky 350 w/18" bar
through Sears. They sent the first one UPS and it came in the retail box,
no outer box. In addition it had a cracked handle. So Sear had to order a
new one, which I requested come to the store. I assumed that Sears receives
incoming shipments on pallets. The saw arrived and I brought the broken one
in for a credit.
BRBR

I second that. Either a Husky or a Stihl. My dad bought a Craftsman chainsaw
and after a year or so some of the inner gears in the engine were worn out
because they were made of plastic. It was more expensive to repair the saw than
to replace it. He swore he'd never again buy a Craftsman chainsaw.
You get what you pay for. Buy a Husky or a Stihl.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA
Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Denis Marier" wrote:

Today I was at Sears looking at their 18" chainsaw.
The salesperson went into the back store and came back with a large box.
We removed the steel staples and unpacked the box. The chainsaw look good.
I removed the gas cap on the tank. I immediately smelled gasoline. I did
not know if the residual gasoline left in the tank was the result of an
engine test before shipping or something else.
Or maybe someone used this chainsaw, cleaned it and repacked it. On the
other hand it could be quite normal that every Sears (Poulan) chainsaw's
engine are tested prior to assembly and shipping. Comments would be well
appreciated.

I don't know the answer, but I'd think it would be very hard to fully
clean a chainsaw if it saw any cutting at all. The bar gets scuffed
pretty easily as well as the sawdust that finds its way everywhere on
the saw. Maybe they are test fired - wouldn't be too hard to believe.

Just FYI, I don't believe the Poulan's get very good reviews from what I
remember - definitely stay away from the McCollough at Home Depot or
Lowe's. The Husqvarna and Stihl saws get the most favorable reviews -
tho I have a Makita which has worked pretty flawlessly for 2,1/2 years
now. If money is an issue, I always see used Huskys and Stihls in the
local classifieds as well as traded in saws at my local hardware store
and the forester's/orchardist's/farmer's implement store. Whatever you
choose, go with a brand that has a local repair facility - much easier
to get knowledgeable service as well as parts than for an off brand.

Chuck

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:09:34 GMT, "Denis Marier"
wrote:

Today I was at Sears looking at their 18" chainsaw.
The salesperson went into the back store and came back with a large box.
We removed the steel staples and unpacked the box. The chainsaw look good.
I removed the gas cap on the tank. I immediately smelled gasoline. I did
not know if the residual gasoline left in the tank was the result of an
engine test before shipping or something else.

You could have just asked to see a second saw of the same brand and
size and see if that also had a gas smell.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Denis Marier

I did ask to see other chainsaws at the store. I found that 1 out of 3
chainsaws on the self smelled gasoline when the gas cap is removed. Monday
morning I talk to a senior salesperson at Sears and he confirmed that it was
normal for some chainsaws to smell gasoline when new. At this time, I can
only conclude that original manufacturer does test fired the engine at
random before shipping. This morning I am going to town so I'll stop at the
Stihl and Husqvarna dealer and look at their saws.
wrote:

Today I was at Sears looking at their 18" chainsaw.
The salesperson went into the back store and came back with a large box.
We removed the steel staples and unpacked the box. The chainsaw look

good.
I removed the gas cap on the tank. I immediately smelled gasoline. I did
not know if the residual gasoline left in the tank was the result of an
engine test before shipping or something else.

You could have just asked to see a second saw of the same brand and
size and see if that also had a gas smell.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Denis Marier

When contacting Poulan customer assistance at 1-800-554-6723 I was faced
with a wall of computerized answering. I was unable to establish
communication with a human. Either they refer you to their FAQ or to the
nearest dealer as per you postal code (Zip). The nearest authorized
repair/dealer for me is located at about a 6-7 hours drive from where I
live. When visiting their site I did not find an email address to forward my
question. It could be that I am not looking at the right place to contact
them?

Denis Marier wrote:
Today I was at Sears looking at their 18" chainsaw.
The salesperson went into the back store and came back with a large box.
We removed the steel staples and unpacked the box. The chainsaw look

good.
I removed the gas cap on the tank. I immediately smelled gasoline. I

did
not know if the residual gasoline left in the tank was the result of an
engine test before shipping or something else.
Or maybe someone used this chainsaw, cleaned it and repacked it. On the
other hand it could be quite normal that every Sears (Poulan) chainsaw's
engine are tested prior to assembly and shipping. Comments would be

well
appreciated.

Denis Marier

I am back from town. At the Stihl, Husqvarna and Echo service dealer we
checked the (new) fuel tanks for gasoline smell with negative result. The
manager of the service department stated that its illegal to ship chainsaw
with any or little gasoline in the tanks.
He stated that the only time when a chainsaw will smell gasoline is when it
was either returned by an unsatisfied buyer, refurbished or simply used and
re-packed for reselling. I can only conclude that the chainsaw that I saw
at Sears was subjected to one of the later. That does not give me a warm
feeling about Sears.

wrote:

Today I was at Sears looking at their 18" chainsaw.
The salesperson went into the back store and came back with a large

box.
We removed the steel staples and unpacked the box. The chainsaw look

good.
I removed the gas cap on the tank. I immediately smelled gasoline. I

did
not know if the residual gasoline left in the tank was the result of an
engine test before shipping or something else.

You could have just asked to see a second saw of the same brand and
size and see if that also had a gas smell.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Lobby Dosser

"Denis Marier" wrote in
:

When contacting Poulan customer assistance at 1-800-554-6723 I was
faced with a wall of computerized answering. I was unable to
establish communication with a human. Either they refer you to their
FAQ or to the nearest dealer as per you postal code (Zip). The
nearest authorized repair/dealer for me is located at about a 6-7
hours drive from where I live. When visiting their site I did not find
an email address to forward my question. It could be that I am not
looking at the right place to contact them?

More likely that they do not want to be contacted. I would not get warm
fuzzies from that attitude.

LD