Denis Marier

I am back from town. At the Stihl, Husqvarna and Echo service dealer we
checked the (new) fuel tanks for gasoline smell with negative result. The
manager of the service department stated that its illegal to ship chainsaw
with any or little gasoline in the tanks.
He stated that the only time when a chainsaw will smell gasoline is when it
was either returned by an unsatisfied buyer, refurbished or simply used and
re-packed for reselling. I can only conclude that the chainsaw that I saw
at Sears was subjected to one of the later. That does not give me a warm
feeling about Sears.

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
I did ask to see other chainsaws at the store. I found that 1 out of 3
chainsaws on the self smelled gasoline when the gas cap is removed.

Monday
morning I talk to a senior salesperson at Sears and he confirmed that it

was
normal for some chainsaws to smell gasoline when new. At this time, I can
only conclude that original manufacturer does test fired the engine at
random before shipping. This morning I am going to town so I'll stop at

the
Stihl and Husqvarna dealer and look at their saws.
"Chuck" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:09:34 GMT, "Denis Marier"
wrote:

Today I was at Sears looking at their 18" chainsaw.
The salesperson went into the back store and came back with a large

box.
We removed the steel staples and unpacked the box. The chainsaw look

good.
I removed the gas cap on the tank. I immediately smelled gasoline. I

did
not know if the residual gasoline left in the tank was the result of an
engine test before shipping or something else.

You could have just asked to see a second saw of the same brand and
size and see if that also had a gas smell.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget