nospambob

Default OT Antivirus software

Repeated requests to McAfee for help getting their software running
again have gone unanswered! Program got into trouble and wouldn't
load to it was uninstalled and reloaded twice and attempts to start it
show the same error message. One message from McAfee was received
with sounds of wanting to help was received and it has been sent back
3 times. I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.
Woodcrafter

"nospambob" wrote in message
Repeated requests to McAfee for help getting their software running
again have gone unanswered! Program got into trouble and wouldn't
load to it was uninstalled and reloaded twice and attempts to start it
show the same error message. One message from McAfee was received
with sounds of wanting to help was received and it has been sent back
3 times. I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.

AVG Antivirus. They even have a 100% free version which works great and the
virus definitions are updated very regularly. Been using it here for last 6
months and still virus-free.
www.grisoft.com

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Complete our tool survey, Win $200!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System
- Digital Calipers & Height Gauge
- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)
- Porter Cable FR350A Framing Nailer
- WoodHaven Biscuit Master
- EZ Smart Guide System

Lee Michaels

"nospambob" wrote in message
Repeated requests to McAfee for help getting their software running
again have gone unanswered! Program got into trouble and wouldn't
load to it was uninstalled and reloaded twice and attempts to start it
show the same error message. One message from McAfee was received
with sounds of wanting to help was received and it has been sent back
3 times. I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.

I have been using the free version of AVG.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1/lng/us/tpl/v5

They have pay versions as well. I have tried several other virus filters.
But AVG has done the job for me. The strongest point in its favor is that it
doesn't load my machine down and slow the computing. Which is important for
my applications.

The only downside is that it does take a bit longer when using my new spam
filter. But even then, it doesn't load the machine down and everything gets
done like it is supposed to.

Edwin Pawlowski

"nospambob" wrote in message
I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.

Norton or EZ Trust from Computer Associates. I have one at home, the other
at work, they are both pretty good.

http://store.ca.com/dr/sat1/ec_MAIN....ACHE_ID=179788

Robatoy

In article ,
nospambob wrote:

Repeated requests to McAfee for help getting their software running
again have gone unanswered! Program got into trouble and wouldn't
load to it was uninstalled and reloaded twice and attempts to start it
show the same error message. One message from McAfee was received
with sounds of wanting to help was received and it has been sent back
3 times. I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.

OS X
Virus free since April 2001.
On line 24/7/365 'cept one line power failure
caused by some privatization deal south from here..*G*
UNIX rules!!!

and prior to installing OS X:

OS 9 and previous
Virus free since Jan. 1993.

-----------------------
Ad them up. 12 years, no virus.
No virus checkers either.

One virus in 1988

No virus from 1984 - 1988

Before everybody takes their shirts off, I only toot the Mac horn when
the topic has presented itself. I NEVER start threads extolling the
virtues of the vastly superior, crash-worthiness, viral immunity,
functionality and blazing speed of this obviously better platform.

G,D & R

Juergen Hannappel

Robatoy writes:

[...]

OS 9 and previous
Virus free since Jan. 1993.

OS9 was pretty old by 1993... dou you run it on a 6809 or a 68000? ;-)
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Jim

"nospambob" wrote in message
Repeated requests to McAfee for help getting their software running
again have gone unanswered! Program got into trouble and wouldn't
load to it was uninstalled and reloaded twice and attempts to start it
show the same error message. One message from McAfee was received
with sounds of wanting to help was received and it has been sent back
3 times. I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.

I used McAfee for a while, but I never really liked the way it worked or
didn't work. Once it is broken, it seems nothing can restore it to good
healtn.
I have been using Norton, and it works for me.

By the way, you also should use SpyBot Search&Destroy, Zone Alarm, and
Ad-Aware to supplement whatever anti-virus program becase no program catches
everything. These three programs are free.
Jim

Vic Baron

"nospambob" wrote in message
Repeated requests to McAfee for help getting their software running
again have gone unanswered! Program got into trouble and wouldn't
load to it was uninstalled and reloaded twice and attempts to start it
show the same error message. One message from McAfee was received
with sounds of wanting to help was received and it has been sent back
3 times. I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.

I've installed AVG, Ad-Aware, Spybot and MS Beta Spyware Blocker on many
systems with no further problems or slowdown. All can be set to run
automatically and to update automatically.

Best of all - they are all free.

I do not like either Norton or McAfee for various reasons - suffice to say
the combo I mention above is superior for various reasons, IMHO.

Vic

dadiOH

nospambob wrote:

I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.

So far, you have used two that most people seem to have problems with.
Here are some others...

Free
AVG
avast! (my personal choice)

Paid
Kasperky (many feel it is the best)
e-Trust (computer Associates...used to use it but dumped them
because they would not honor their agreed upon renewal fee)

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Robatoy

In article ,
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Robatoy writes:

[...]

OS 9 and previous
Virus free since Jan. 1993.

OS9 was pretty old by 1993... dou you run it on a 6809 or a 68000? ;-)

Cute.

OS 6 (SIX) wasn't even old by 1993.

I knew some parts of 'Old Europe' were a bit behind on some things, doc,
but system 7.6 wasn't released till Jan 24 1997.
This time, it seems, you were ahead by at least 7 years with the release
of OS 9.0 which was released just prior to OS X to prepare mac users for
the upgrade to OS X. I'd put that release around 1999 or 2000.

Have somebody check your homework. G

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 25 May 2005 07:41:52 -0700, nospambob wrote:
Repeated requests to McAfee for help getting their software running
again have gone unanswered! Program got into trouble and wouldn't
load to it was uninstalled and reloaded twice and attempts to start it
show the same error message. One message from McAfee was received
with sounds of wanting to help was received and it has been sent back
3 times. I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.

AVG antivirus, free, from www.grisoft.com is excellent. Same updates as
Norton and McAfee, on the same days, good cleaning abilities, and
automatic scans and updates are standard.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 25 May 2005 11:18:29 -0400, Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
nospambob wrote:

Repeated requests to McAfee for help getting their software running
again have gone unanswered! Program got into trouble and wouldn't
load to it was uninstalled and reloaded twice and attempts to start it
show the same error message. One message from McAfee was received
with sounds of wanting to help was received and it has been sent back
3 times. I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.

OS X
Virus free since April 2001.

In other words, for the entire history of OSX.

UNIX rules!!!

I've got one Linux box that has an uptime of (checks) 1004 days.

and prior to installing OS X:

OS 9 and previous
Virus free since Jan. 1993.

There ya go.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 25 May 2005 17:45:33 +0200, Juergen Hannappel wrote:
Robatoy writes:

[...]

OS 9 and previous
Virus free since Jan. 1993.

OS9 was pretty old by 1993... dou you run it on a 6809 or a 68000? ;-)

Ahhhhh, another person who knows OS-9. Mine was on a 6809E. Yours?

Dave "Feeling old..." Hinz

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:03:37 -0400, Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Robatoy writes:

[...]

OS 9 and previous
Virus free since Jan. 1993.

OS9 was pretty old by 1993... dou you run it on a 6809 or a 68000? ;-)

Cute.
OS 6 (SIX) wasn't even old by 1993.

I don't know OS 6, but OS9 was released at least by 1982.

I knew some parts of 'Old Europe' were a bit behind on some things, doc,
but system 7.6 wasn't released till Jan 24 1997.
This time, it seems, you were ahead by at least 7 years with the release
of OS 9.0 which was released just prior to OS X to prepare mac users for
the upgrade to OS X. I'd put that release around 1999 or 2000.

Have somebody check your homework. G

Have somebody check your history. G

Robatoy

In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

I don't know OS 6, but OS9 was released at least by 1982.

macintosh OS 9? Or are we talking Apple II stuff here?
If we are.. I'll beg off, as I know (in my best Schultz voice) NOTHING
about any Apples prior to 1984.

Robatoy

In article ,
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Robatoy writes:

[...]

OS 9 and previous
Virus free since Jan. 1993.

OS9 was pretty old by 1993... dou you run it on a 6809 or a 68000? ;-)

We can't be talking about the same OS 9. I was an infant in 1982. (33)
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 25 May 2005 14:12:33 -0400, Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

I don't know OS 6, but OS9 was released at least by 1982.

macintosh OS 9? Or are we talking Apple II stuff here?

Nope. He
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~pruyne/os9faq.html

If we are.. I'll beg off, as I know (in my best Schultz voice) NOTHING
about any Apples prior to 1984.

OS9 as you may know by now, was fairly unix-ish. So it is more similar
to OS X than it was to the other, more recent OS 9.

Duane Bozarth

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:03:37 -0400, Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Robatoy writes:

[...]

OS 9 and previous
Virus free since Jan. 1993.

OS9 was pretty old by 1993... dou you run it on a 6809 or a 68000? ;-)

Cute.
OS 6 (SIX) wasn't even old by 1993.

I don't know OS 6, but OS9 was released at least by 1982.

I (think) Robotoy is referring to Mac OS 9, not Microware (Radisys) OS9.

Google found a thread from a year or so ago where a respondent posted
the following brief history...

"Assuming you [mean] OS-9 the Real-Time OS and Not OS9 the Mac OS, OS9
first
started about 1978 on the 6809 processor. It was ported to the 68K
family
about 1982. In 1987 the OS was ported to other Processors, I believe
the
x86 was the first. This was know as OS9000 at the time. Since then
OS9
has been ported to the PPC,MIPS,Hitachi H series, Sparc, ARM, and other
processors.
For a detailed timeline you might want to contact Radisys(Microware)
directly."

Brings back many old memories...some good, some not so much.
Duane Bozarth

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 25 May 2005 17:45:33 +0200, Juergen Hannappel wrote:
Robatoy writes:

[...]

OS 9 and previous
Virus free since Jan. 1993.

OS9 was pretty old by 1993... dou you run it on a 6809 or a 68000? ;-)

Ahhhhh, another person who knows OS-9. Mine was on a 6809E. Yours?

Dave "Feeling old..." Hinz

Mostly 68K's VME-bus.
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:34:36 -0500, Duane Bozarth wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 25 May 2005 17:45:33 +0200, Juergen Hannappel wrote:

OS9 was pretty old by 1993... dou you run it on a 6809 or a 68000? ;-)

Ahhhhh, another person who knows OS-9. Mine was on a 6809E. Yours?

Mostly 68K's VME-bus.

Ah. Never got to run it on anything that new. Fun times, as you
said...mostly.

Doug Miller

In article , Robatoy wrote:

We can't be talking about the same OS 9. I was an infant in 1982. (33)

Is it 2015 already? Guess I slept longer than I thought.

--
Regards,

Odinn

nospambob wrote:

Repeated requests to McAfee for help getting their software running
again have gone unanswered! Program got into trouble and wouldn't
load to it was uninstalled and reloaded twice and attempts to start it
show the same error message. One message from McAfee was received
with sounds of wanting to help was received and it has been sent back
3 times. I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.

OS X
Virus free since April 2001.

In other words, for the entire history of OSX.

UNIX rules!!!

I've got one Linux box that has an uptime of (checks) 1004 days.

Longest I have up is 419 days, FreeBSD, and only because of a major
power outtage (UPS couldn't last 13 hrs). Prior to that, it had a 642
day uptime.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 25 May 2005 15:55:40 -0400, Odinn wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

I've got one Linux box that has an uptime of (checks) 1004 days.

Longest I have up is 419 days, FreeBSD, and only because of a major
power outtage (UPS couldn't last 13 hrs). Prior to that, it had a 642
day uptime.

Nice. Does FreeBSD have the bug where after 497 days, the uptime
display starts over at 0 days? First time that linux box did it, I
spent some non-trivial time trying to figure out what the hell went
wrong. Turned out I just was seeing the uptime reporting bug.

Been around that twice on the system described above. It was a sunday
morning in 2002 when it was last bounced...and that was a planned
reboot. It. Just. Works.
Duane Bozarth

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 25 May 2005 17:45:33 +0200, Juergen Hannappel wrote:

OS9 was pretty old by 1993... dou you run it on a 6809 or a 68000? ;-)

Ahhhhh, another person who knows OS-9. Mine was on a 6809E. Yours?

Mostly 68K's VME-bus.

Ah. Never got to run it on anything that new. Fun times, as you
said...mostly.

Yes, indeedy, indeed! Most fun (truly) was the 3-CPU mobile
"man-replacement" robotic system for application as observer and minor
work in a power plant...great fun, that! (Wonder what the S. Koreans
ever did w/ it. When it shipped they were supposed to get us over for
training, but it never happened. Probably one of those good ideas that
never came to anything.)
Robatoy

Dave Hinz wrote:

I don't know OS 6, but OS9 was released at least by 1982.

macintosh OS 9? Or are we talking Apple II stuff here?

Nope. He
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~pruyne/os9faq.html

If we are.. I'll beg off, as I know (in my best Schultz voice) NOTHING
about any Apples prior to 1984.

OS9 as you may know by now, was fairly unix-ish. So it is more similar
to OS X than it was to the other, more recent OS 9.

Whelllll..egg on MY face.
Here I thought I knew what I was talking about.

Charles Spitzer

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 May 2005 11:18:29 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:
In article ,
nospambob wrote:

Repeated requests to McAfee for help getting their software running
again have gone unanswered! Program got into trouble and wouldn't
load to it was uninstalled and reloaded twice and attempts to start it
show the same error message. One message from McAfee was received
with sounds of wanting to help was received and it has been sent back
3 times. I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.

OS X
Virus free since April 2001.

In other words, for the entire history of OSX.

UNIX rules!!!

I've got one Linux box that has an uptime of (checks) 1004 days.

i think the current record for one of our customers is upwards of 9 years.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:27:22 -0400, Robatoy wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

I don't know OS 6, but OS9 was released at least by 1982.

macintosh OS 9? Or are we talking Apple II stuff here?

Nope. He
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~pruyne/os9faq.html

If we are.. I'll beg off, as I know (in my best Schultz voice) NOTHING
about any Apples prior to 1984.

OS9 as you may know by now, was fairly unix-ish. So it is more similar
to OS X than it was to the other, more recent OS 9.

Whelllll..egg on MY face.
Here I thought I knew what I was talking about.

Well, you _do_ know what you're talking about! You just didn't know
what _we_ were talking about. A subtle but important distinction.

Odinn

Dave Hinz wrote:

I've got one Linux box that has an uptime of (checks) 1004 days.

Longest I have up is 419 days, FreeBSD, and only because of a major
power outtage (UPS couldn't last 13 hrs). Prior to that, it had a 642
day uptime.

Nice. Does FreeBSD have the bug where after 497 days, the uptime
display starts over at 0 days? First time that linux box did it, I
spent some non-trivial time trying to figure out what the hell went
wrong. Turned out I just was seeing the uptime reporting bug.

Not at all, my uptime was showing 642 days when we lost the power. 497
seems like such a weird number to bug out on (only 9 bits in use, but
first 5 bits are 1s and the rest 0s with the last bit hitting a 1 = 497).

Been around that twice on the system described above. It was a sunday
morning in 2002 when it was last bounced...and that was a planned
reboot. It. Just. Works.

My home desktop is FreeBSD, my desktop at work is FreeBSD, my laptop is
windows, I also have a Solaris and 7 AIX boxes at home and a couple of
windows machines for the wife and daughter. At work, I manage AIX,
Solaris, HP-UX, Linux and Windows servers (over 200 in this office
alone). Thank goodness I don't do desktop support (over 1500 desktops
and laptops at our company).

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Patrick Conroy

Duane Bozarth wrote in
:

Mostly 68K's VME-bus.

Ahhh - I was on the *other* side - Intel x86 and Multibus.
Ran iRMX as the RTOS. rq$sendmessage()...

Patrick Conroy

Robatoy wrote in news:design-8F6A5B.14123325052005
@news.bellglobal.com:

macintosh OS 9? Or are we talking Apple II stuff here?
If we are.. I'll beg off, as I know (in my best Schultz voice) NOTHING
about any Apples prior to 1984.

ProDOS?
Apple DOS?
140K Single Sided Disks = punch and flip for anoth'a 140K?

Second "PC" was a //e that I upped to 128K to run Apple (UCSD) Pascal.
That was fun...

Odinn

Charles Spitzer wrote:
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

On Wed, 25 May 2005 11:18:29 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

In article ,
nospambob wrote:

Repeated requests to McAfee for help getting their software running
again have gone unanswered! Program got into trouble and wouldn't
load to it was uninstalled and reloaded twice and attempts to start it
show the same error message. One message from McAfee was received
with sounds of wanting to help was received and it has been sent back
3 times. I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.

OS X
Virus free since April 2001.

In other words, for the entire history of OSX.

UNIX rules!!!

I've got one Linux box that has an uptime of (checks) 1004 days.

i think the current record for one of our customers is upwards of 9 years.

That would be one out-of-date kernel with gawd only knows how many
security holes in it.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Ian Wheeler

AVG gets my vote as well. Been using the free version for about a year, it
updates very smoothly every day, very easy to use (nothing to do) and
integrates perfectly into Outlook.

Ian

"Woodcrafter" wrote in message
u...

"nospambob" wrote in message
[...]

Tom Watson

wrote:

Repeated requests to McAfee for help getting their software running
again have gone unanswered! Program got into trouble and wouldn't
load to it was uninstalled and reloaded twice and attempts to start it
show the same error message. One message from McAfee was received
with sounds of wanting to help was received and it has been sent back
3 times. I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.

Oh Boy, this one is going to run for awhile.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Charles Spitzer

"Odinn" wrote in message
Charles Spitzer wrote:
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

On Wed, 25 May 2005 11:18:29 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

In article ,
nospambob wrote:

Repeated requests to McAfee for help getting their software running
again have gone unanswered! Program got into trouble and wouldn't
load to it was uninstalled and reloaded twice and attempts to start it
show the same error message. One message from McAfee was received
with sounds of wanting to help was received and it has been sent back
3 times. I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.

OS X
Virus free since April 2001.

In other words, for the entire history of OSX.

UNIX rules!!!

I've got one Linux box that has an uptime of (checks) 1004 days.

i think the current record for one of our customers is upwards of 9
years.

That would be one out-of-date kernel with gawd only knows how many
security holes in it.

http://stratus.com

no security holes. out of date perhaps, but lots of our customers don't
upgrade for years and years if it's working ok. lots of our customers can't
have the computer stop working for normal upgrades because there is no
scheduled downtime allowed.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Tim Douglass

wrote:

Before everybody takes their shirts off, I only toot the Mac horn when
the topic has presented itself. I NEVER start threads extolling the
virtues of the vastly superior, crash-worthiness, viral immunity,
functionality and blazing speed of this obviously better platform.

The whole Mac/Unix/Linux thing really torques me because those who
tout it so heavily never seem to consider that it is darn hard to come
up with commercial applications to accomplish real work on them. I
have 40 some apps on my Windows XP box, of which only 3-4 are
utilities. I use them all on a regular basis. They are all commercial
applications with support available. They all installed the first time
w/o problems and most have been upgraded w/o problems. I have been
running MS operating systems since 1986 on my personal computers at
home and have never had a virus. I buy cheap hardware from God only
knows where and plug it in and it works - every time.

I despise Windows for many reasons - security included - but it works
when you need to get work done - something I never found to be true
with Linux apps. And there is software out there for just about
anything you want to do - unlike either Linux/Unix or Mac.

If the Linux community would go after commercial software developers
so that there were some real applications available it might make some
inroads, but Open Office just doesn't cut it. Likewise if Apple were
to blow the box open so that I can slap in cheap off-shore upgrades
when I want to then open up their software licensing rules and re-work
that horrid user interface they would be worth a look. But for now, in
the real world of people who need to do lots of different tasks,
Windows XP is the clear winner in terms of usability and
functionality.

It's about time for my semi-annual Linux trial, so this opinion is
subject to change if the conditions have changed.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Old Nick

On Wed, 25 May 2005 14:59:34 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"nospambob" wrote in message
I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.

Norton or EZ Trust from Computer Associates. I have one at home, the other
at work, they are both pretty good.

OOI, what version of EZTrust are you running and are you using just
the virus or the fwall as well? V5.xx firewall is having a lot of
reported troubles. I have it and I have experienced these. The reports
come from the forums (mostly Zone Labs ones, which cover the same
virus/firewall engine)and match my experiences. CA's
WillR

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

I don't know OS 6, but OS9 was released at least by 1982.

macintosh OS 9? Or are we talking Apple II stuff here?
If we are.. I'll beg off, as I know (in my best Schultz voice) NOTHING
about any Apples prior to 1984.

Shucks and here I thought we could talk about Datapoint, Altair, Apple
II, Horizon et al.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
WillR

wrote:

Before everybody takes their shirts off, I only toot the Mac horn when
the topic has presented itself. I NEVER start threads extolling the
virtues of the vastly superior, crash-worthiness, viral immunity,
functionality and blazing speed of this obviously better platform.

The whole Mac/Unix/Linux thing really torques me because those who
tout it so heavily never seem to consider that it is darn hard to come
up with commercial applications to accomplish real work on them.

I think it just depends on your version of commercial. Been in hi-tech a
long time. UNIX had most of the PC apps long before a PC was around -- a
lot more expensive tis true... But cost per user is now in the cellar...

have 40 some apps on my Windows XP box, of which only 3-4 are
utilities. I use them all on a regular basis. They are all commercial
applications with support available. They all installed the first time
w/o problems and most have been upgraded w/o problems. I have been
running MS operating systems since 1986 on my personal computers at
home and have never had a virus. I buy cheap hardware from God only
knows where and plug it in and it works - every time.

Been using MS since 1979 -- C-BASIC days. Used Seattle DOS -- oops I
mean MS DOS 1 (1981). Used Cybers, IBM, Honeywell, GE and Datapoint
before that. :-) Forgot the rest... :-( Too many...

Since many commercial mainframes /mini / grid PC/ systems have thousands
of users they are cheaper per user than your software.

I despise Windows for many reasons - security included - but it works
when you need to get work done - something I never found to be true
with Linux apps. And there is software out there for just about
anything you want to do - unlike either Linux/Unix or Mac.

Many would beg to differ. I have used mainframes, minis, PCs Linux,
Apple, CPM, Seattle DOS etc etc etc. What irritates me is when my
current system is not like the OS I just got used to. :-)

If the Linux community would go after commercial software developers
so that there were some real applications available it might make some
inroads, but Open Office just doesn't cut it.

Think it might be comfort level. We switched here. There was pouting and
whining. Now nobody remembers we switched they are so similar in
function. Training was 10 minutes -- so go figger.

If I could get a CASE tool (one user) that I could afford personally we
would switch most systems.

Right now I am using XP -- but all but 2 systems are dual boot.

Likewise if Apple were
to blow the box open so that I can slap in cheap off-shore upgrades
when I want to then open up their software licensing rules and re-work
that horrid user interface they would be worth a look.

Wait for the secret (shhh) negotiations to end....

But for now, in
the real world of people who need to do lots of different tasks,
Windows XP is the clear winner in terms of usability and
functionality.

Again. In my experience it's what you are used to. :-)

It's about time for my semi-annual Linux trial, so this opinion is
subject to change if the conditions have changed.

Got Slackware, Linux and Suse here as well as XP.

Shut down our Win2000 server. Running Linux Mandrake 10 64 bit on AMD
Athlon now. Almost never reboot -- less I wanna change something. The
Windows server was a constant trial. Ate a _lot_ of my time. The Linux
server is boring. Nothing to do -- unless I wish to do something. It
just keeps working.

Good luck with the virgins. If you ever have a spare I'll head over and
set up the Linux for you.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
WillR

wrote:

Repeated requests to McAfee for help getting their software running
again have gone unanswered! Program got into trouble and wouldn't
load to it was uninstalled and reloaded twice and attempts to start it
show the same error message. One message from McAfee was received
with sounds of wanting to help was received and it has been sent back
3 times. I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if
there are other options available.

Oh Boy, this one is going to run for awhile.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

I need to stain some cherry. Any suggestions? That should get us back to
wood working.. LOL

Just designed a "mission style" end table -- gonna make it in cherry
starting tomorrow or next day.

Promise to use Danish oil (Tried and True) or sumtin'. I swear Tom it's
tru -- I will honest. The blood recipe didn't work. It went brown and
hid the grain -- I actually tried it. :-) O'Deen was wrong. :-)

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek