Tim Douglass

On Wed, 25 May 2005 11:18:29 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

Before everybody takes their shirts off, I only toot the Mac horn when
the topic has presented itself. I NEVER start threads extolling the
virtues of the vastly superior, crash-worthiness, viral immunity,
functionality and blazing speed of this obviously better platform.

The whole Mac/Unix/Linux thing really torques me because those who
tout it so heavily never seem to consider that it is darn hard to come
up with commercial applications to accomplish real work on them. I
have 40 some apps on my Windows XP box, of which only 3-4 are
utilities. I use them all on a regular basis. They are all commercial
applications with support available. They all installed the first time
w/o problems and most have been upgraded w/o problems. I have been
running MS operating systems since 1986 on my personal computers at
home and have never had a virus. I buy cheap hardware from God only
knows where and plug it in and it works - every time.

I despise Windows for many reasons - security included - but it works
when you need to get work done - something I never found to be true
with Linux apps. And there is software out there for just about
anything you want to do - unlike either Linux/Unix or Mac.

If the Linux community would go after commercial software developers
so that there were some real applications available it might make some
inroads, but Open Office just doesn't cut it. Likewise if Apple were
to blow the box open so that I can slap in cheap off-shore upgrades
when I want to then open up their software licensing rules and re-work
that horrid user interface they would be worth a look. But for now, in
the real world of people who need to do lots of different tasks,
Windows XP is the clear winner in terms of usability and
functionality.

It's about time for my semi-annual Linux trial, so this opinion is
subject to change if the conditions have changed.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com