Odinn

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Wed, 25 May 2005 15:55:40 -0400, Odinn wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

I've got one Linux box that has an uptime of (checks) 1004 days.

Longest I have up is 419 days, FreeBSD, and only because of a major
power outtage (UPS couldn't last 13 hrs). Prior to that, it had a 642
day uptime.

Nice. Does FreeBSD have the bug where after 497 days, the uptime
display starts over at 0 days? First time that linux box did it, I
spent some non-trivial time trying to figure out what the hell went
wrong. Turned out I just was seeing the uptime reporting bug.

Not at all, my uptime was showing 642 days when we lost the power. 497
seems like such a weird number to bug out on (only 9 bits in use, but
first 5 bits are 1s and the rest 0s with the last bit hitting a 1 = 497).

Been around that twice on the system described above. It was a sunday
morning in 2002 when it was last bounced...and that was a planned
reboot. It. Just. Works.

My home desktop is FreeBSD, my desktop at work is FreeBSD, my laptop is
windows, I also have a Solaris and 7 AIX boxes at home and a couple of
windows machines for the wife and daughter. At work, I manage AIX,
Solaris, HP-UX, Linux and Windows servers (over 200 in this office
alone). Thank goodness I don't do desktop support (over 1500 desktops
and laptops at our company).

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net