John T

What you call "elk wasting disease" is called CWD, or chronic wasting
disease. Colorado deer have had this disease for years (over 2 decades I
believe), but not a single case of CWD has been found in humans, even
those who eat CWD positive deer.
The Wisconsin DNR is still making a big fuss over CWD in deer here,
especially in the SW area of the state where there have been a large
number of CWD cases, but its all to naught, IMHO

John

D. J. MCBRIDE

"WillR" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
Only for American viewers

For the rest of the world she's nakkit...

Here in Texas it's "nekkid."

--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Lee DeRaud

On Sun, 01 May 2005 06:08:50 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

The only fast-food restaurant I occasionally partake of is Carl's Jr.,
and then it's only their fried zucchini, _made_fresh_while_I_wait_!

Yup. MacD's are hard to find here, but there seems to be a Carl's on
every corner.

Don't know how widespread the chain is, but Farmer Boy's is pretty
good too.

Lee
Han

John T wrote in news:eq5de.30729$QR1.7738
@fe04.lga:

What you call "elk wasting disease" is called CWD, or chronic wasting
disease. Colorado deer have had this disease for years (over 2 decades I
believe), but not a single case of CWD has been found in humans, even
those who eat CWD positive deer.
The Wisconsin DNR is still making a big fuss over CWD in deer here,
especially in the SW area of the state where there have been a large
number of CWD cases, but its all to naught, IMHO

John

The cows in Britain got MCD from eating ground up sheep that had died from
scrapie, the sheep form of the disease. Man can't get the disease directly
from sheep, but passing it through cows was effective, if that's what you
want to call it. Therefore, I would still caution against eating *any*
animal that died from CWD, or whatever you want to call it. The scary
thing about the British CWD was that the incubation time, especially for
younger people, was in the order of months to a few years, rather than the
10 plus of "regular" variant CJD.
--
Best regards
Han

Lawrence L'Hote

"D. J. MCBRIDE" wrote in message

"WillR" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
Only for American viewers

For the rest of the world she's nakkit...

Here in Texas it's "nekkid."

....I thought you all used buck nekkid .....

Dave in Fairfax

Doug Miller wrote:
Back in college, I used to work with another college kid, a girl who came from
Vietnam with her parents in about '73. She would always bring her lunch from
home instead of going out to Pizza Hut or whatever with the rest of us. One
day...
(me) sniff, sniff Hey, Tran, that smells pretty good, what is it?
(she) something-or-other Vietnamese name, want to try some?
(me) Sure. munch, munch Hmm.. pretty good. What is that?
(she) Oh, that is the stomach of the pig!

That's sort of the way I found out about Aso Adobo. Good, but
guilty feeling.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
J. Clarke

Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

"D. J. MCBRIDE" wrote in message

"WillR" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
Only for American viewers

For the rest of the world she's nakkit...

Here in Texas it's "nekkid."

...I thought you all used buck nekkid .....

Only if they's up to somethin'. "Naked" means you don't have any clothes
on, "nekkid" means you didn't have any clothes on and you were up to
something, "buck nekkid" means that you didn't have any clothes on, you
were up to something, and her daddy and his huntin' buddies walked in on
you.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Dave in Fairfax

Lawrence L'Hote wrote:
...I thought you all used buck nekkid .....

Sheeeeit! Y'all don't know the difference 'tween a buck and a doe?

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Lee Gordon

Finally! Someone else who realizes that the fish cheeks are the
sweetest part. Small, but worth the effort. Nothing wrong with
eyes, they're good on rice.

You sound like Dr. Yukio Hattori on Iron Chef. g

Lee

hylourgos

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 01 May 2005 09:40:09 -0400, the inscrutable WillR
spake:

Larry Jaques wrote:

"Let's sing praise to Aphrodite || www.diversify.com
She may seem a little flighty, || Full Service Websites
but she wears a green gauze nighty, || PHP Applications
And she's good enough for me." || SQL Database Development

Only for American viewers

For the rest of the world she's nakkit...

Yeah, it's OK here to show beheadings and disembowelment, but you'll
go to jail and be heavily fined if you show a simple titty on TV or
at the movies. Crikey, American logic evades me. War and blood are
good but love and affection are bad?

On the other hand, violence in American cinema seldom reminds me of the
real thing. Maybe we're just more appreciative of camp. You have to get
the real beheadings off the internet. Or in a third world town square.

Love and affection? They're fine. But lust and sex? Hey, they lead to
war, right?

Tongue halfway in cheek,

Norman D. Crow

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message
news
snippage

When I lived in central Pennsylvania decades ago my ex's farm family
would make "hogmaw" sort of a corned beef hash looking conglomeration
cooked in a pig stomach - always reminded me of a giant lima bean and
quite tasty. They also ate "souse," "scrapple," "head cheese," and
"blood sausage" - very little of the animal was discarded.

Yum, yum! Then there's the "cracklin's", the leftover fat tissue after it's
been cooked and the lard pressed out. Grandma always keep a big dishpan of
it right next to the back door for us to snack out of when she was making
lard.

Then of course there's "tripe", which is cow stomach, and can occasionally
be found in the markets here. Not to mention beef heart & tongue. Let us not
forget "Haggis", which I've never had, but I believe is stuff cooked in a
sheep's stomach(UK brethren correct me here, please).

--
Name

Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 01 May 2005 14:35:19 GMT, "D. J. MCBRIDE"
wrote:

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 01 May 2005 01:23:03 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

Back in college, I used to work with another college kid, a girl who
came from
Vietnam with her parents in about '73. She would always bring her
lunch from
home instead of going out to Pizza Hut or whatever with the rest of
us. One
day...
(me) sniff, sniff Hey, Tran, that smells pretty good, what is it?
(she) something-or-other Vietnamese name, want to try some?
(me) Sure. munch, munch Hmm.. pretty good. What is that?
(she) Oh, that is the stomach of the pig!

If she had told me what it was first - in English - I never would have
eaten
it. But it was good.

You guys are making me hungry:
http://www.funnypart.com/funny_flash/peking_moon.shtml

Wierd Al; I love that one. Actually, I like most of his parodies better
than the original artist's songs.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Dave in Fairfax reply-to, is, disabled, to, stop, spam wrote:
Lawrence L'Hote wrote:
...I thought you all used buck nekkid .....

Sheeeeit! Y'all don't know the difference 'tween a buck and a doe?

*sigh* I mean, really.....the difference is OBVIOUS

It's either one thing or an udder.

Robatoy

In article ,
Kiwanda wrote:

when they first make
the connections between chickens and McNuggets.

There IS a connection?

Robatoy

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

Kiwanda wrote in news:Xns9648618DDB20kiwandanospamne@
64.85.239.19:

Must be a common thing in some families, but I do know others who've
had kids freak out about meat around age 7-10 when they first make
the connections between chickens and McNuggets.

Uhh, I'm not all that certain there IS a connection between chickens and
McNuggets... ;-)

Patriarch

I just posted that as well...next time I will read all the replies
first..LOL
Robatoy

In article ,
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Sheeeeit! Y'all don't know the difference 'tween a buck and a doe?

Doe nekkid??
Charles Krug

On Sun, 1 May 2005 14:41:56 -0400, Norman D. Crow
wrote:

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message
news
snippage

When I lived in central Pennsylvania decades ago my ex's farm family
would make "hogmaw" sort of a corned beef hash looking conglomeration
cooked in a pig stomach - always reminded me of a giant lima bean and
quite tasty. They also ate "souse," "scrapple," "head cheese," and
"blood sausage" - very little of the animal was discarded.

Then of course there's "tripe", which is cow stomach, and can occasionally
be found in the markets here. Not to mention beef heart & tongue. Let us not
forget "Haggis", which I've never had, but I believe is stuff cooked in a
sheep's stomach(UK brethren correct me here, please).

The stomach is the cooking vessel. I don't think you actually eat the
stomach.

The actual "ingredients" are mutton trimmings, oats, and potatoes,
which, while not exactly haute cuisine, aren't terribly different from
sausage.

Robatoy

In article ,
"Norman D. Crow" wrote:

Let us not
forget "Haggis"

No..let's.

I was told it was made from the Haggis bird. A small bird, incapable of
flight, looks somewhat like a penguin..lives on the side of hills.
That's why one leg is shorter than the other.
Robatoy

In article ,
"John Moorhead" wrote:

Folks -

Okay, a short one.... Got a gal in one of the Friday classes, has had WS
before and has the basics... Anyway, she is building a segmented round
mirror frame. I told her we would assemble it with hide glue.... She wanted
to know what THAT was, and I told her that it was the only glue available
for WW until modern adheisives came along.... She wanted to know why it was
called hide glue, and I told her... She wrinkled her nose and had a small
hissy about "those poor rabbits" and that it was WRONG to do that. I
countered, by asking her if she had ever eaten a burger.... she said that
"that didn't count" and that hide glue was "mean".... So, I back-tracked
and told her, half in jest, that we were actually using the "vegitarian"
formula, and that the original ingredients included lettuce and carrots.
She took it hook, line and sinker.... So now it's "carrot glue"

Sheesh....

John

I realize this thread was about glue initially, but I just love the way
this newsgroup runs with any thread. Truly priceless.
Got to love this place.

Patriarch

Robatoy wrote in
:

In article ,
"John Moorhead" wrote:

[...]

Nobody brought up pvc dust collection piping explosions or wiring for
240v, until now. Or politics.

The thread obviously has a way to run yet.

Patriarch
Dave in Fairfax

Lee Gordon wrote:
You sound like Dr. Yukio Hattori on Iron Chef. g

Sorry, I'm Gaijin and way bigger than he is.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Robatoy

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

Nobody brought up pvc dust collection piping explosions or wiring for
240v, until now. Or politics.

The thread obviously has a way to run yet.

I overlooked that..I wash my hands off it...in acetone.
Doug Miller

In article , Prometheus wrote:

Good stuff, there. For my wife, the absolute horror when it comes to
things I'd *kill* to eat is sushi- especially the raw flying fish roe,
and spider rolls made with an entire crab. She just doesn't know good
food when it's looking right at her... The look on her face when I
take a bite of the end of a spider roll is just priceless (for those
of you who don't get into sushi, the ends of that particular roll have
the crab legs, complete with tiny pinchers, sticking out of them. Not
the most appealing thing to stare at, but ohhhhhh are they good.)

I used to work for a software company that had its main office here in
Indianapolis, and a couple other offices in other parts of the US. A couple of
us from the Indy office were at a computer conference in California with a guy
from our Los Angeles office. He was telling us all about different kinds of
sushi, how good they taste, and so on. Told him "back in Indiana, we call that
stuff by a different name.... BAIT!"

--
Regards,

Lee Gordon

the connections between chickens and McNuggets.

There IS a connection?

Sure. Why do you think they call it "connective tissue?"

Lee

A bumper sticker from a local archery store "Vegetarian is an old
Indian word for lousy hunter"
robo hippy

Andrew Barss

Charles Krug wrote:

: The stomach is the cooking vessel. I don't think you actually eat the
: stomach.

: The actual "ingredients" are mutton trimmings, oats, and potatoes,
: which, while not exactly haute cuisine, aren't terribly different from
: sausage.

Real haggis includes ground sheep heart, lungs, and liver.

Bleeeachhh!

-- Andy Barss
Norman D. Crow

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
Charles Krug wrote:

: The stomach is the cooking vessel. I don't think you actually eat the
: stomach.

: The actual "ingredients" are mutton trimmings, oats, and potatoes,
: which, while not exactly haute cuisine, aren't terribly different from
: sausage.

Real haggis includes ground sheep heart, lungs, and liver.

Bleeeachhh!

C'mon now Andy, you never tried some of the more "imaginative" Indian or
Tex/Mex cuisine? Someone mentioned earlier about very little going to waste
.. . most farmers who raise their own pork use "everything but the squeal".
On the farm, after trimming everything off for "head cheese" Uncle would
hang the skull from wire in the henhouse and let the chickens clean off what
they wanted of it. Don't knock head cheese until you've tried it. Good
home-made stuff is tasty. Not a thing in the world wrong with heart or liver
either. Fresh pork liver was always on the menu for supper on hog-butchering
day.

On butchering day, Granddad would bring a couple big washtubs, collect the
entrails for some Italiano friends in town. They cleaned them out to use for
natural sausage casing. Not my idea of *fun*, but the sausage was good.

Difficult to find it these days, but a nice beef heart and/or tongue is
right up there on my list of tasty stuff. SWMBO hasn't done it for a long
time, but makes a great dish of pickled heart and tongue. Usually hard to
keep the lid on long enough for it to get pickled.

Doug Miller, you live in hog country, didja ever try scrambled eggs 'n' pork
brains? MMMmmmmmmm!

Ah, the memories! People talk about eating venison, etc. Nothing wrong with
woodchuck, young raccoon or squirrel, either.

--
Nahmie

Prometheus

wrote:

[...]

I've had Haggis, or at least an Americanized version of it. I can
only assume that it was prepared in an alternate way, since it was
catered by a local restarant for Robert Burn's night. Not bad, but
not very good, either- reminded me of that "Grape Nuts" breakfast
cereal. Could be I didn't drink enough Scotch before I had it,
though.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus

On Mon, 02 May 2005 01:45:20 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that's what they call it in Wisconsin, too. But one of the
local Chinese joints got converted to a Sushi bar by one of the sons
who inherited the place, so now I get to have it again, despite the
seemingly universal loathing midwesterners have for the very idea of
it. I can't be the only one, the place takes reservations and is
always packed.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Prometheus

On Mon, 2 May 2005 07:11:55 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

Charles Krug wrote:

: The stomach is the cooking vessel. I don't think you actually eat the
: stomach.

: The actual "ingredients" are mutton trimmings, oats, and potatoes,
: which, while not exactly haute cuisine, aren't terribly different from
: sausage.

Real haggis includes ground sheep heart, lungs, and liver.

Bleeeachhh!

I still don't see why that is terribly different than sausage...

-- Andy Barss

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Bob Martin

in 1202267 20050501 113405 Prometheus wrote:

Good stuff, there. For my wife, the absolute horror when it comes to
things I'd *kill* to eat is sushi- especially the raw flying fish roe,
and spider rolls made with an entire crab. She just doesn't know good
food when it's looking right at her... The look on her face when I
take a bite of the end of a spider roll is just priceless (for those
of you who don't get into sushi, the ends of that particular roll have
the crab legs, complete with tiny pinchers, sticking out of them. Not
the most appealing thing to stare at, but ohhhhhh are they good.)

Getting your own back for that eagle eating your liver every night ?
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 01 May 2005 20:05:44 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy
spake:

In article ,
"Norman D. Crow" wrote:

Let us not
forget "Haggis"

No..let's.

I was told it was made from the Haggis bird. A small bird, incapable of
flight, looks somewhat like a penguin..lives on the side of hills.
That's why one leg is shorter than the other.

That's a gutsy statement, Rob. Reminds me of an old girlfriend,
Ilene.

--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! || http://diversify.com
Boycott Baby Oil! || Programmed Websites
Swingman

"Prometheus" wrote in message

Then of course there's "tripe", which is cow stomach, and can

occasionally
be found in the markets here. Not to mention beef heart & tongue. Let us

not
forget "Haggis", which I've never had, but I believe is stuff cooked in a
sheep's stomach(UK brethren correct me here, please).

I've had Haggis, or at least an Americanized version of it. I can
only assume that it was prepared in an alternate way, since it was
catered by a local restarant for Robert Burn's night. Not bad, but
not very good, either- reminded me of that "Grape Nuts" breakfast
cereal. Could be I didn't drink enough Scotch before I had it,
though.

Haggis is not much different from Cajun boudin, which is made with rice
instead of oats. I had the real thing in a little village in Scotland
(Carluke) that I used to stay at when I lived in England ... the guy, father
of a friend of mine, was the local butcher and had all kinds of exotic
(except to a coonass) breakfast concoctions prepared with organ meats of
sheep and cows. But then, I grew up eating boudin, with a couple of fried
eggs on top, for breakfast almost every morning, so I was right at home.

Then there is "menudo", AKA Mexican roadkill, which it smells like ... but
damn it tastes good, providing you can get pass the smell. The country
Mexican's squeeze a whole lime in each bowl ... "piquant" comes to mind.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/01/05

Doug Miller

In article , "Norman D. Crow" wrote:

Doug Miller, you live in hog country, didja ever try scrambled eggs 'n' pork
brains? MMMmmmmmmm!

Nope, and have no intention of doing so, either.

Ah, the memories! People talk about eating venison, etc. Nothing wrong with
woodchuck, young raccoon or squirrel, either.

Had squirrel for the first time a coupla years ago. That's good eating! But
they sure are a PITA to skin.

--
Regards,

Swingman

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

Had squirrel for the first time a coupla years ago. That's good eating!

But
they sure are a PITA to skin.

Not if you know "the trick" ... I bet I could still skin a squirrel in less
than ten seconds, even though I haven't had any practice in 30 years.
Starting at the age of nine, when I got my first .22, part of my job was to
supply the household with squirrel meat.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/01/05

Doug Miller

In article , "Swingman" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

Had squirrel for the first time a coupla years ago. That's good eating!

But
they sure are a PITA to skin.

Not if you know "the trick" ... I bet I could still skin a squirrel in less
than ten seconds, even though I haven't had any practice in 30 years.
Starting at the age of nine, when I got my first .22, part of my job was to
supply the household with squirrel meat.

OK, give! What's "the trick"?

--
Regards,

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 2 May 2005 07:43:37 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Haggis is not much different from Cajun boudin, which is made with rice
instead of oats.

What's "boudin" ? If that's anything like French boudin, then it's
nothing at all like haggis - it's a blood pudding. However travel south
to Lancashire and you'll find it as "black pudding".

Swingman

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

What's "boudin" ?

As I stated ... basically, Cajun haggis.

If that's anything like French boudin ...

Obviously it's not.

Instead of being cooked in a sheep's stomach, boudin is cooked in a sausage
casing (modern) or, as with the real stuff when I was younger, pig
intestine; instead of oats, rice is used as the filler grain. Various meat
and various spices make up the remainder.

They are very similar ... and you can take my word for it, I've enjoyed both
on more occasions than you can count.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/01/05

eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Metalworking 7 December 22nd 04 09:47 PM
eScrew Dave Jackson Woodworking 1 December 21st 04 01:54 AM
Funny story about metal [email protected] Metalworking 10 December 20th 04 05:26 PM
Funny story about repair [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 20th 04 03:35 AM
ARTICLE: The Truth About Polyurethane Glue J T Woodworking 5 July 18th 04 11:06 PM