Phisherman

Default Stuck 2-3 Morse taper adapter

I have a 2-3 Morse taper adapter stuck onto a #2 Jacobs chuck taper.
I tried tapping a Morse taper wedge into the side slot. I tried
applying Liquid Wrench. I tried tapping with a nail set. I looked
for another Morse taper key at Sears, but the guy did not know
anything about Morse tapers. I Googled this without much help.
Anyone have any ideas? I did not force this adapter into the adapter,
yet it seems like it is permanently stuck. Please help.
John T

Try hitting the end of the #2 with a hard face dead blow hammer. Hold
the #2 morse in your hand, over something that will catch the adater
(bench).

Arch

Try hitting the side of the taper with rapid and hard hammer blows
while forcing the drift into the slot.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

George

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have a 2-3 Morse taper adapter stuck onto a #2 Jacobs chuck taper.
I tried tapping a Morse taper wedge into the side slot. I tried
applying Liquid Wrench. I tried tapping with a nail set. I looked
for another Morse taper key at Sears, but the guy did not know
anything about Morse tapers. I Googled this without much help.
Anyone have any ideas? I did not force this adapter into the adapter,
yet it seems like it is permanently stuck. Please help.

Some tapers have flat areas on the back or holes through and through - or
both. I'd try to stabilize the 2 with a strap wrench or cushioned pipe
wrench, and give a quick twist on the three using whatever hold is
available. Might even be bored for a draw bar, where you could use a bolt
to eject the #2.

Arch

Phisherman wrote, "I looked for another Morse taper key at Sears, but
the guy did not know anything....."

A paradigm of unnecessary redundancy. Forgive and let us know what
worked.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Owen Lowe

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

I have a 2-3 Morse taper adapter stuck onto a #2 Jacobs chuck taper.
I tried tapping a Morse taper wedge into the side slot.

Can you see the tang end of the taper inside the slot? If so, retry the
wedge and give it a good rap or two or three. I've had them stick pretty
well, but when you drive the wedge hard enough, they'll pop out - as
long as you are sure the wedge is prying against the end of the taper.

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Phis

Question, how long has that #3 to #2 MT adapter been on the #2 taper ??
If for a longer time and if it has been wet, like wood sap or water has
been on it, then there is probably rust in between the taper and he
adapter, now if you have right size wedge to knock out the taper you
should not tap but hid hard the wedge, you van rest the adapter on a
large wooden block or log to give it backing, if after 2 or 3 good solid
raps the taper does not come out you have a couple of other choices, in
the case of suspected rust, stick it in vinegar for a night and try the
wedge hitting one more time, if that does not work, heat the whole thing
and then cool the (taper end only), quickly hit the taper out with you
wedge, if that still not work dump the whole thing on the scrap heap and
get an other one
For the right size wedge order one at
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Phisherman wrote:

I have a 2-3 Morse taper adapter stuck onto a #2 Jacobs chuck taper.
I tried tapping a Morse taper wedge into the side slot. I tried
applying Liquid Wrench. I tried tapping with a nail set. I looked
for another Morse taper key at Sears, but the guy did not know
anything about Morse tapers. I Googled this without much help.
Anyone have any ideas? I did not force this adapter into the adapter,
yet it seems like it is permanently stuck. Please help.

Leo Lichtman

"Arch" wrote: A paradigm of unnecessary redundancy. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:-) Arch, I hope you realize that this is an example of NECESSARY
redundancy, since, without it, the statement wouldn't be nearly as funny.

Phisherman

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:45:51 -0500, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Hi Phis

Question, how long has that #3 to #2 MT adapter been on the #2 taper ??

About 2 weeks. My shop is dry so there is little rust, although I
don't rule this out. The taper inside belongs to a Jacob's chuck and
the #2-3 sleeve were both purchased at Woodcraft recently.

If for a longer time and if it has been wet, like wood sap or water has
been on it, then there is probably rust in between the taper and he
adapter, now if you have right size wedge to knock out the taper you
should not tap but hid hard the wedge, you van rest the adapter on a
large wooden block or log to give it backing, if after 2 or 3 good solid
raps the taper does not come out you have a couple of other choices, in
the case of suspected rust, stick it in vinegar for a night and try the
wedge hitting one more time, if that does not work, heat the whole thing
and then cool the (taper end only), quickly hit the taper out with you
wedge, if that still not work dump the whole thing on the scrap heap and
get an other one
For the right size wedge order one at
http://www.mcmaster.com/

I might order here if the local Woodcraft doesn't have one. I may
attempt to make my own wedge. The wedge I now have is pretty beat up
after all this hammering on it.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Phisherman wrote:

I have a 2-3 Morse taper adapter stuck onto a #2 Jacobs chuck taper.
I tried tapping a Morse taper wedge into the side slot. I tried
applying Liquid Wrench. I tried tapping with a nail set. I looked
for another Morse taper key at Sears, but the guy did not know
anything about Morse tapers. I Googled this without much help.
Anyone have any ideas? I did not force this adapter into the adapter,
yet it seems like it is permanently stuck. Please help.

Roger

If the other suggestions havn't worked try freezing it or heating the
outside with a torch (gently!) or hair dryer and then giving it a good
rap with a block of wood or non-marring hammer. A little thermal stress
often breaks frozen joints. You can even do both--stick the inside piece
into ice water and heat the outside

Roger
(delete .geentroep to respond)

Phisherman

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:37:25 -0800, Owen Lowe
wrote:

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

I have a 2-3 Morse taper adapter stuck onto a #2 Jacobs chuck taper.
I tried tapping a Morse taper wedge into the side slot.

Can you see the tang end of the taper inside the slot? If so, retry the
wedge and give it a good rap or two or three. I've had them stick pretty
well, but when you drive the wedge hard enough, they'll pop out - as
long as you are sure the wedge is prying against the end of the taper.

That's a good point. I can see the tang end of the taper inside the
slot, ever so slightly. When the wedge is inserted it doesn't touch
the taper end, so I slightly ground the edge of the wedge to chamfer
it, which that did not work. I was hoping to find another wedge type
to buy.

Today I asked a friend to get apart the taper. He worked on it for
half hour yesterday and another 20 minutes today, and gave up!

I'm thinking of two ideas...
1. Freeze the assembly.
2. Insert a ball (as those inside ball bearings) into the slot, then
rap wedge.
3. I thought about heating it, but I need to investigate if heating
might warp the taper.

If/when I get this apart I plan to expand the slot a little in the
adapter.
Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Phis
A new MT3 to MT2 cost $10.27
The taper shank removal wedge is sold by Mcmaster-carr.
the order no. is 2796A13 and the price $8.85
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Phisherman wrote:

I have a 2-3 Morse taper adapter stuck onto a #2 Jacobs chuck taper.
I tried tapping a Morse taper wedge into the side slot.

snip

That's a good point. I can see the tang end of the taper inside the
slot, ever so slightly. When the wedge is inserted it doesn't touch
the taper end, so I slightly ground the edge of the wedge to chamfer
it, which that did not work. I was hoping to find another wedge type
to buy.

mac davis

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:52:34 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

If I'm reading this right, you have a small area (where you're putting the wedge
thing?) where you can see the rear/smaller end of the taper?
If so, find the largest piece of brass rod that will fit through the opening and
rap it a couple hard ones with a hammer..
The brass is softer than the taper or taper "receiver" and won't scratch or hurt
anything..
As others have said.. catch the taper when it comes out, or it's guaranteed to
land someplace that will damage it, be hard as hell to get out of and break
something else.. (been there, done that)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:37:25 -0800, Owen Lowe
wrote:

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
trbarker

Don't give up hope,sounds to me like there may have been some been some fine
rust or something else on the 32 taper or inside of the #3 cup that have
caused this seizure because I note that you say that the tang of the #2
taper is barely visible.. So here is what I would do, I don't think this
would hurt anything,, I'd get hold of the upper tang of the #3 cup with a
good pair of vise-grips, get something good and soft for the #2 taper to
land on, a small ball peen hammer and a propane torch.
Now holding the #3 by its tang with the vise-grips vertically over the
area that you have prepared for the #2 taper to land heat the outside area
of the #3 cup gently starting at the bottom of the cup and working you way
up, turn the cup or torch around and heat all around the #3 cup evenly and
don't over heat the cup just get it fairly hot work your way around it and
up the distance that the #2 taper is in the cup..The metal of the cup will
expand just enough to release its grip on the #2 taper because it will
expand faster than the #2 taper. Once you have done this if the taper didn't
fall out while you were heating the cup gently tap the #3 cup all the way
around starting at the bottom and working your way up, you may even tap the
#2 taper and it may fall right out. be careful doing this and ware gloves
too because the heat will be coming up to the hand that is holding that is
holding the vise-grips. OH and most of all,, let both parts cool naturally!
Once everything is apart and cooled off check the inside of the cup and
the taper for any sort of bur or damage that may have caused this to happen,
maybe all they need is a good cleaning with some 320 or 400 grit emery paper
before inserting them together again. Best of luck

Phisherman

I tried freezing the assembly and heating the outside, but this didn't
work either. I called Woodcraft (where I bought these items) and
explained the issue and they asked me to bring it in. I did. One of
the workers there who specialized in turning, took the assembly to the
shop where I watched him work. He had a narrow wedge that was too
small so he fit two allen wrenches on either side, whacked the
adapter, and it came loose! It turns out that my wedge key was not
hitting the tang enough, but the use of the allen wrenches was enough.
He did say it was the toughest frozen Morse taper he ever dealt with.
I examined the taper and there was a layer of very light rust on it,
although it is smooth and undamaged. Thanks to all ideas here.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:01:14 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I have a 2-3 Morse taper adapter stuck onto a #2 Jacobs chuck taper.
I tried tapping a Morse taper wedge into the side slot. I tried
applying Liquid Wrench. I tried tapping with a nail set. I looked
for another Morse taper key at Sears, but the guy did not know
anything about Morse tapers. I Googled this without much help.
Anyone have any ideas? I did not force this adapter into the adapter,
yet it seems like it is permanently stuck. Please help.

johnny

MAKE UNLIMITED MONEY USING PAYPAL!!! $6.00 ONE TIME
Date: Wednesday, February 9, 2005
MAKE UNLIMITED MONEY USING PAYPAL!!! $6.00 ONE TIME FEE!!!
Can you really make money so easily? I thought it was impossible. Just
read this. I don't even have to convince you that this is not a
scam...because it makes logical sense how you can earn money through
PayPal.
A little while back, I was browsing through a newsgroup, just like you
are now and came across an article similar to this that said you could
make thousands dollars within weeks with only an initial investment of
$6.00! So I thought, "Yeah, right, this must be a scam", but like most
of us, I was curious, so I kept reading. : OPRAH WINFREY and an article
published in the Wall Street Journal on 6/16/2001. Here is some of it!!
Everyone has heard about "PayPal" (if you haven't you will soon) and,
when I came across this concept I knew it would work because, as a
member of PayPal, I had already experienced their efficiency and
excellent standing. PayPal is the simplest method of making and
receiving payments online anyone has ever seen! Anyone with an email
address can join, for FREE! Please read further before you go there...
You can complete this whole process in less than one hour and you will
never forget the day you decided to do so!!! Oh! Did I say FAST? By
fast I mean ' the speed of the Internet-type fast.' Everything is done
on the Internet by E-mail. And, if you abide by the rules, it is NOT
considered SPAM, so it's perfectly legal! Anyway, it said that you send
$1.00 though PayPal to each of the emails stated in the article. You
then place your own email address in the bottom of the list at #6, and
post the article in at least 200 newsgroups. (There are thousands) No
catch that was it. So after thinking it over, and talking to few people
first, I thought about trying it. I figured what have I got to lose
except $6.00, right? Like most of us I was a little skeptical and a
little worried about the legal aspects of it: It follows the same
regulations as the mailed chain letters, which according to the U.S.
Post Office (1-800- 725-2161) is indeed legal! Then I invested the
measly $6.00. Well GUESS WHAT!!? Within 7 days, I started getting money
in my PayPal account! I was shocked! I figured it would end soon, but
the money just kept coming in. In my first week, I made about $20.00.
By the end second week I had made a total over $1,200.00! In the third
week I had over $10,000.00 and it's still growing. This is now my
fourth week and I have made a total of just over $36,000.00 and it's
still coming in rapidly. Its certainly worth $6.00., I have spent more
than that on the lottery!!
Let me tell you how this works and most importantly, why it works?
Also, make sure you print a copy of this article NOW, so you can get
the information off of it as you need it
.. REQUIREMENTS: You must have a verified PayPal account. If you do not
have an account you can go to www.paypal.com and follow the
instructions to set up a free account. In order to place the initial $6
into your account, you will have to verify your bank account with
PayPal (which may take a few days). Or if you want to start right away,
use your credit or debit card to make the $6 deposit to Paypal. Paypal
guarantees your security when using personal information. They do not
release your information to third parties. Very, very, very, secure!
Paypal is 100% secure and is used my millions of people world wide.
STEP 1: Send, though PayPal, $1.00 to each email on the below list.
Make the subject of the payment "Email List" and in the comments, write
"PLEASE PUT ME ON YOUR EMAIL LIST." What you are doing is creating a
service by this and best of all you are not giving your address to
anyone you do not know. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY LEGAL, BUT YOU MUST FOLLOW
THE INSTRUCTIONS HONESTLY FOR IT TO WORK CORRECTLY.
The email list:
1)

2 )

3)

4 )

5)

6)

STEP 2: Now take the #1 email off the list that you see above, move the
other addresses up (6 becomes 5, 5 becomes 4, etc?) and add YOUR email
address (the one used on the PayPal account) as number 6 on the list.
STEP 3: Change anything you need to like the date and spelling, but try
to keep this article as close to original as possible. Now, post your
amended article to at least 200 newsgroups, message board. (I think
there are close to 32,000 groups) All you need is 200, but remember,
the more you post, the more money you make - as well as everyone else
on the list! ----
DIRECTIONS---- HOW TO POST TO NEWSGROUPS, MESSAGE BOARD---------- Step
1) You do not need to re-type this entire letter to do your own
posting. Simply put your cursor at the beginning of this letter and
drag your Cursor to the bottom of this document, and select 'copy' from
the edit menu. This will copy the entire letter into the computer
memory.
Step 2) Open a blank 'notepad' file and place your cursor at the top of
the blank page. From the 'edit' menu select 'paste'. This will paste a
copy of the letter into notepad so that you can add your name to the
list.
Step 3) Save your new notepad file as a .txt file. If you want to do
your postings in different settings, you'll always have this file to go
back to.
Step 4) Use Netscape or Internet explorer and try searching for various
newsgroups (on-line forums, message boards, chat sites, discussions.)
For example you log on any search engine like metacrawler.com, msn.com,
yahoo.com, google.com, altavista.com, excite.com then you search with
this subject "web discussion" or "money forum" or "money making message
board" or "employment message board" or "money making discussions" or
"money making forum" or "business message board" etc. You will find
thousand & thousands message boards. Click one by one then you will
find the option post a new message.
Step 5) Visit these message boards and post this article as a new
message by highlighting the text of this letter and selecting paste
from the edit menu. Fill in the Subject, this will be the header that
everyone sees as they scroll through the list of postings in a
particular group, click the post message button. You're done with your
first one! Be Honest and it will truly work for you:
Congrats! REMEMBER, THE MORE NEWGROUPS YOU POST IN, THE MORE MONEY YOU
WILL MAKE!! BUT YOU HAVE TO POST A MINIMUM OF 200! That is it. You will
begin receiving money in your account from around the world within
days! JUST MAKE SURE ALL THE ADDRESSES ARE CORRECT. Now the WHY part
out of 200 postings: Say I receive only 5 replies (a very low example).
So then I made $5.00 with my name at #6 on the letter. Each of the 5
persons who just sent me $1.00 make the MINIMUM 200 postings, each with
my name at # 5 and only 5 persons respond to each of the original 5,
this is an additional $25.00 for me. Now those 24 each make 200 minimum
posts with my name at #4 and only 5 replies each. This brings in an
additional $125.00. Those 125 persons turn around and post the MINIMUM
200 with my name at #3 and receive 5 replies each, I will make an
additional $625.00. Ok, now here is the FUN part, each of those 625
people post a MINIMUM of 200 letters with my name at #2 and they
receive 5 replies each. That just made me $3,125.00!!! Those 3125
persons will all deliver this message to 200 newsgroups with my name at
#1 and if still 5 persons per 200 react, I will receive an additional
$15,625.00!! With an investment of only $6.00!! A - M - A - Z - I - N -
G - !! NOTE: It works much faster without soliciting or spamming trying
to get higher responses***!!! With warm wishes, bless you and your
loved ones!

johnny

MAKE UNLIMITED MONEY USING PAYPAL!!! $6.00 ONE TIME

johnny

MAKE UNLIMITED MONEY USING PAYPAL!!! $6.00 ONE TIME

johnny

MAKE UNLIMITED MONEY USING PAYPAL!!! $6.00 ONE TIME

johnny

MAKE UNLIMITED MONEY USING PAYPAL!!! $6.00 ONE TIME

johnny

MAKE UNLIMITED MONEY USING PAYPAL!!! $6.00 ONE TIME

johnny

MAKE UNLIMITED MONEY USING PAYPAL!!! $6.00 ONE TIME

johnny

MAKE UNLIMITED MONEY USING PAYPAL!!! $6.00 ONE TIME

Leo Van Der Loo

Owen Lowe

Phew! Now I can lean back in my chair again.

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Phisherman

Today I cleaned up the adapter and the #2 Jacob's chuck pin. The tang
end of the chuck pin has a tapped hole. (Not sure the reason this
tapped hole is there?) I found a machine screw that fits this hole
such that when the pin is placed into the 2-3 Morse adapter the wedge
key hits the top of the machine screw when inserted through the side
slots of the adapter. This solves any future freeze-ups on the
adapter. To show my appreciation of the Woodcraft employee, I will
be writing an email to store manager.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 01:51:07 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

[...]

George

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Today I cleaned up the adapter and the #2 Jacob's chuck pin. The tang
end of the chuck pin has a tapped hole. (Not sure the reason this
tapped hole is there?)

To hold it in place in some other application, where side-loading might
loosen it.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Phish

I did suggest that you might have rust in there and to use some vinegar
as to eat the rust away, anyway it is out now, polish the MT keep it dry
and clean, also get a good steel wedge.
The taper and adapter are probably not finished fine enough, they should
be ground to a high degree of precision and finish, the smoother the
finish the better the fit and the lesser degree of rusting, but to make
it cheaper they cut corners, people are looking for buys and that's what
happens then.
The threaded hole is for a drawbar, so as to keep the MT from loosening
and turning in the head or tailstock and scoring the female MT, usually
it's not needed but with high load or when withdrawing drill bits the
taper could start turning and damage the inside mating parts, also if
used in the head stock the MT could come loose and the whole assembly
fall or fly out.

Phisherman wrote:

Today I cleaned up the adapter and the #2 Jacob's chuck pin. The tang
end of the chuck pin has a tapped hole. (Not sure the reason this
tapped hole is there?) I found a machine screw that fits this hole
such that when the pin is placed into the 2-3 Morse adapter the wedge
key hits the top of the machine screw when inserted through the side
slots of the adapter. This solves any future freeze-ups on the
adapter. To show my appreciation of the Woodcraft employee, I will
be writing an email to store manager.

Jacobs Chuck on Jet Mini Lathe AWood70928 Woodturning 27 June 30th 04 07:29 PM
FS Morse Taper Drill Drivers MP Toolman Metalworking 0 June 28th 04 03:24 AM
Morse Taper Adapter Issue Lorin Woodturning 3 June 8th 04 05:51 AM
morse taper Allan Adler Metalworking 6 April 30th 04 01:35 AM
2 Morse taper extender to 3 taper, then 1 inch threading die holder Doug Goncz Metalworking 5 October 21st 03 12:00 PM