Allan Adler

Default morse taper

I'm progressing slowly in Gingery's book, The Metal Shaper (#3 in the
Build Your Own Metal Shop From Scrap series, in I'm reading all the books
in order). He says on p.14, as he did in the earlier volume on The Metal
Lathe, that you can get a #1 Morse taper from the Sears tool catalogue.
I ordered the Sears tool catalogue (Craftsman Power and Hand Tools 2004-2005)
and am unable to find any mention of a #1 Morse taper. So maybe things have
changed since he wrote the book.

Which catalogue should I be looking in?

Let me emphasize that I don't actually *need* a #1 Morse taper right now.
At this stage, I'm just reading the books and trying to visualize everything
in them and check certain details. I'm not building anything and don't have
any kind of shop yet.

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *
Keith Marshall

As someone else said, the morse taper is just the "mounting" or shank
portion of the tool. Here are a few examples of tools/holders/etc. that use
a #1 Morse taper:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=00 925358000

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=00 925356000

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=00 925354000

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll
get run over if you just sit there."
- Will Rogers (1879-1935).

"Allan Adler" wrote in message

[...]

*

*
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial

*
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect

*
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston

*
* metropolitan area.

*
*

*

Allan Adler

Thanks. I now see that they are on p.152 of the Tool Catalogue. If I had
searched for "morse taper" at the Sears website, I might have found these
items but I think I wouldn't have realized that they were also in the
catalogue.

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *

jim rozen

In article , Allan Adler says...

Which catalogue should I be looking in?

Not in the Sears one. Don't purchase machine tooling
from them, it will be a waste of your time. Catalogs
have a wealth of information in them so you should
have a copy of the McMaster Carr catalog and the MSC
one as well, for spicy reading.

Both of those will go a long way to explaining what
kinds of tooling are available to do various jobs.

Jim

please reply to:

Stan Schaefer

[...]

A #1 Morse taper WHAT? Arbor? Drill bit? Center? Reamer? All of
these and other tools besides have, or can be supplied with, Morse
taper shanks. I can't figure out how a #1 Morse taper anything would
go onto a shaper, the taper is used for holding tools against
rotation, like in a drill press, mill or lathe.

Sears has changed what they supply considerably in the last decade,
they used to catalog a lot of stuff of interest to the home machining
crowd, it's mostly gone. There's some stuff that fits the wood lathes
they used to have, that's about it. Supply and demand, demand must be
down for the stuff, at least from Sears, so now is supply.

On the other hand, industrial supply outfits are more willing to do
business on a onesie-twosie basis than they were in the past. One
outfit that I've used a lot is MSC, they've got an oulet here in town,
but
www.mscdirect.com gets you into their search engine, the catalog
is online, you can get a searchable CD for free, too. There are
others, I'm sure they'll get mentioned.

Stan