Stan Schaefer

Default morse taper

Allan Adler wrote in message ...
I'm progressing slowly in Gingery's book, The Metal Shaper (#3 in the
Build Your Own Metal Shop From Scrap series, in I'm reading all the books
in order). He says on p.14, as he did in the earlier volume on The Metal
Lathe, that you can get a #1 Morse taper from the Sears tool catalogue.
I ordered the Sears tool catalogue (Craftsman Power and Hand Tools 2004-2005)
and am unable to find any mention of a #1 Morse taper. So maybe things have
changed since he wrote the book.

Which catalogue should I be looking in?

Let me emphasize that I don't actually *need* a #1 Morse taper right now.
At this stage, I'm just reading the books and trying to visualize everything
in them and check certain details. I'm not building anything and don't have
any kind of shop yet.

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

A #1 Morse taper WHAT? Arbor? Drill bit? Center? Reamer? All of
these and other tools besides have, or can be supplied with, Morse
taper shanks. I can't figure out how a #1 Morse taper anything would
go onto a shaper, the taper is used for holding tools against
rotation, like in a drill press, mill or lathe.

Sears has changed what they supply considerably in the last decade,
they used to catalog a lot of stuff of interest to the home machining
crowd, it's mostly gone. There's some stuff that fits the wood lathes
they used to have, that's about it. Supply and demand, demand must be
down for the stuff, at least from Sears, so now is supply.

On the other hand, industrial supply outfits are more willing to do
business on a onesie-twosie basis than they were in the past. One
outfit that I've used a lot is MSC, they've got an oulet here in town,
but
www.mscdirect.com gets you into their search engine, the catalog
is online, you can get a searchable CD for free, too. There are
others, I'm sure they'll get mentioned.

Stan