Doug Goncz

Default 2 Morse taper extender to 3 taper, then 1 inch threading die holder

Hi, gang!

After a lot of study, I have determined the self-replication potential of the
Smithy Super Shop and it has some possiblities, including the unitary design.

To do a common task on the lathe, threading the end of a rod with a 13/16 or 1
inch die, the die is usually put in a tailstock holder. I believe Taig and
Sherline both have 1 Morse taper die holders for 13/16 inch dies.

Will a 2 Morse taper hold a 1 (one) inch die?

Would a 2 to 3 extender hold such a die?

Is there an R8 collet for 13/16 or 1 inch that would hold the die, with the
work (a rod) held in a 2 Morse taper drill chuck of 1/2 inch capacity in the
tailstock?

www.smithy.com "Woodorking" link on left

I am currently working on duplicating one of the most difficult items on such a
tool: the saw blade. I've worked out a simple circular milling/indexing jig.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com)
Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1200+ original posts at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_e...uthors=dgoncz@
jim rozen

In article , Doug Goncz says...

Will a 2 Morse taper hold a 1 (one) inch die?

Here I am supposing you are talking about the
OD of the die itself, not the size of the thread
you are trying to achieve.

I think that there are commercially available die
holders that mate the 1 inch dies to mt2. Another
way that works nicer is to have a die holder with
a straight shank. Then the jacobs tailstock
chuck is set for a slip fit, and the die stock
slides in and out of the chuck.

There are arms on the die stock so the user can
hold it and keep it from turning.

Jim

please reply to:

JMartin957

Will a 2 Morse taper hold a 1 (one) inch die?

Here I am supposing you are talking about the
OD of the die itself, not the size of the thread
you are trying to achieve.

I think that there are commercially available die
holders that mate the 1 inch dies to mt2. Another
way that works nicer is to have a die holder with
a straight shank. Then the jacobs tailstock
chuck is set for a slip fit, and the die stock
slides in and out of the chuck.

There are arms on the die stock so the user can
hold it and keep it from turning.

Jim

I made up some die holders that I think work a bit better than that. Two
pieces each. First piece is a straight rod maybe 3/4" diameter with a Morse
taper shank to fit tailstock. Second piece is 1.5" stock, bored to fit the
3/4" shank, counterbored to take a die, with setscrews to hold and adjust the
die.

The outer piece is free to turn on the shank. For small threads, hand grip is
enough to make it cut. For larger threads, a side handle I can hold or rest on
the compound.

Made a couple of sizes - for 1" and 5/8" dies.

John Martin
jim rozen

In article , JMartin957 says...

The outer piece is free to turn on the shank. For small threads, hand grip is
enough to make it cut. For larger threads, a side handle I can hold or rest on
the compound.

I *really* want to make a setup like that. Also, a tap wrench
with a sliding pilot.

Jim

please reply to:

Doug Goncz

I have ordered the twelve dollar holder that accepts the Smithy Super Shop cup
center for wood and live center for metal.

I believe it is 2 MT. There is room in it to machine a 3MT segment, I am sure.

So after that's done, I just need a 3 MT adapter thingie with a 1 inch
counterbore and retainers on the end, and maybe also a 13/16 inch recess
farther inboard. I can't make this with the 3MT adapter in the power head of
the Super Shop. That accepts R8 collets.

Now if there was an R8 collet blank with an MT3 recess in it, I could turn the
recess. Failing that, I can plunge a 3/4 shank, 1 inch OD end mill into the
holder held in the taper socket at the tailstock, and a 1/2 inch shank 13/16
inch end mill for the other die.

I'll check MSC for an R8/3MT adapter.

Then I can use a 2-3 MT adapter for all the standard accessories.