Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Phish

I did suggest that you might have rust in there and to use some vinegar
as to eat the rust away, anyway it is out now, polish the MT keep it dry
and clean, also get a good steel wedge.
The taper and adapter are probably not finished fine enough, they should
be ground to a high degree of precision and finish, the smoother the
finish the better the fit and the lesser degree of rusting, but to make
it cheaper they cut corners, people are looking for buys and that's what
happens then.
The threaded hole is for a drawbar, so as to keep the MT from loosening
and turning in the head or tailstock and scoring the female MT, usually
it's not needed but with high load or when withdrawing drill bits the
taper could start turning and damage the inside mating parts, also if
used in the head stock the MT could come loose and the whole assembly
fall or fly out.

Phisherman wrote:

Today I cleaned up the adapter and the #2 Jacob's chuck pin. The tang
end of the chuck pin has a tapped hole. (Not sure the reason this
tapped hole is there?) I found a machine screw that fits this hole
such that when the pin is placed into the 2-3 Morse adapter the wedge
key hits the top of the machine screw when inserted through the side
slots of the adapter. This solves any future freeze-ups on the
adapter. To show my appreciation of the Woodcraft employee, I will
be writing an email to store manager.