trbarker

Don't give up hope,sounds to me like there may have been some been some fine
rust or something else on the 32 taper or inside of the #3 cup that have
caused this seizure because I note that you say that the tang of the #2
taper is barely visible.. So here is what I would do, I don't think this
would hurt anything,, I'd get hold of the upper tang of the #3 cup with a
good pair of vise-grips, get something good and soft for the #2 taper to
land on, a small ball peen hammer and a propane torch.
Now holding the #3 by its tang with the vise-grips vertically over the
area that you have prepared for the #2 taper to land heat the outside area
of the #3 cup gently starting at the bottom of the cup and working you way
up, turn the cup or torch around and heat all around the #3 cup evenly and
don't over heat the cup just get it fairly hot work your way around it and
up the distance that the #2 taper is in the cup..The metal of the cup will
expand just enough to release its grip on the #2 taper because it will
expand faster than the #2 taper. Once you have done this if the taper didn't
fall out while you were heating the cup gently tap the #3 cup all the way
around starting at the bottom and working your way up, you may even tap the
#2 taper and it may fall right out. be careful doing this and ware gloves
too because the heat will be coming up to the hand that is holding that is
holding the vise-grips. OH and most of all,, let both parts cool naturally!
Once everything is apart and cooled off check the inside of the cup and
the taper for any sort of bur or damage that may have caused this to happen,
maybe all they need is a good cleaning with some 320 or 400 grit emery paper
before inserting them together again. Best of luck
I have a 2-3 Morse taper adapter stuck onto a #2 Jacobs chuck taper.
I tried tapping a Morse taper wedge into the side slot. I tried
applying Liquid Wrench. I tried tapping with a nail set. I looked
for another Morse taper key at Sears, but the guy did not know
anything about Morse tapers. I Googled this without much help.
Anyone have any ideas? I did not force this adapter into the adapter,
yet it seems like it is permanently stuck. Please help.