Phisherman

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:37:25 -0800, Owen Lowe
wrote:

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

I have a 2-3 Morse taper adapter stuck onto a #2 Jacobs chuck taper.
I tried tapping a Morse taper wedge into the side slot.

Can you see the tang end of the taper inside the slot? If so, retry the
wedge and give it a good rap or two or three. I've had them stick pretty
well, but when you drive the wedge hard enough, they'll pop out - as
long as you are sure the wedge is prying against the end of the taper.

That's a good point. I can see the tang end of the taper inside the
slot, ever so slightly. When the wedge is inserted it doesn't touch
the taper end, so I slightly ground the edge of the wedge to chamfer
it, which that did not work. I was hoping to find another wedge type
to buy.

Today I asked a friend to get apart the taper. He worked on it for
half hour yesterday and another 20 minutes today, and gave up!

I'm thinking of two ideas...
1. Freeze the assembly.
2. Insert a ball (as those inside ball bearings) into the slot, then
rap wedge.
3. I thought about heating it, but I need to investigate if heating
might warp the taper.

If/when I get this apart I plan to expand the slot a little in the
adapter.