Alan Van Art

Default Magnetic Tools

I recently purchased a Robert Sorby Oval Skew from Craft Supplies. I'm not
positive, but I think it's magnetized. It really feels like it's sticking to
the tool rest when I go to pick it up. Has anyone else experienced anything
similar? So far, I don't think it's a bad thing, but I really just started
using it. Should I de-magnetize it or leave it alone?

---

Dan Kozar

I recently purchased a Robert Sorby Oval Skew from Craft Supplies. I'm not
positive, but I think it's magnetized. It really feels like it's sticking to
the tool rest when I go to pick it up. Has anyone else experienced anything
similar? So far, I don't think it's a bad thing, but I really just started
using it. Should I de-magnetize it or leave it alone?

It probably doesn't matter, but if it was mine. I would probably
demagnetize it. It could possibly get annoying after a while.
Will it pick up small pieces of metal ? Do you have a means of
demagnetizing it?

--
Dan Kozar

remove NOSPAM
Leo Lichtman

Alan van Art wrote' (clip) Should I de-magnetize it or leave it alone?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Probably won't matter unless you turn ironwood.

Ralph J. Ramirez

I would definitely demagnetize it as you lose some control due to the
magnetism. Do you by any chance use a magnetic tool bar to store your skew.
I have one of those and I have found that this will magnetize your tool.
Remember, you want your tool to slide freely on your tool rest, any
resistance at all takes some control away from you. Hope this
helps.....Ralph

"Alan Van Art" wrote in message
I recently purchased a Robert Sorby Oval Skew from Craft Supplies. I'm not
positive, but I think it's magnetized. It really feels like it's sticking

the tool rest when I go to pick it up. Has anyone else experienced

anything
similar? So far, I don't think it's a bad thing, but I really just started
using it. Should I de-magnetize it or leave it alone?

---

George

If it bothers you, sure. Don't be surprised if it feels no different in use
afterward. Amount of magnetic attraction between them is in reality
infinitesimal, perhaps mentally significant.

I use magnetic bars for the tools.

"Alan Van Art" wrote in message
I recently purchased a Robert Sorby Oval Skew from Craft Supplies. I'm not
positive, but I think it's magnetized. It really feels like it's sticking

the tool rest when I go to pick it up. Has anyone else experienced

anything
similar? So far, I don't think it's a bad thing, but I really just started
using it. Should I de-magnetize it or leave it alone?

---

mac davis

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 02:48:22 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

Alan van Art wrote' (clip) Should I de-magnetize it or leave it alone?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Probably won't matter unless you turn ironwood.

might be a big help if your working towards the north..

Mac
Kevin Neelley

I also use magnetic bars to store and display my lathe tools. I've used them
for years. No tool has ever become magnetized that I can detect and I use a
Sorby oval skew, like yours, every day. It has been on the magnetic bar (off
and on) for three years. Maybe the type of magnetic bar I use is different than
yours.

Kevin Neelley
http://www.turnedwood.com

In article , George says...

If it bothers you, sure. Don't be surprised if it feels no different in use
afterward. Amount of magnetic attraction between them is in reality
infinitesimal, perhaps mentally significant.

I use magnetic bars for the tools.

"Alan Van Art" wrote in message
I recently purchased a Robert Sorby Oval Skew from Craft Supplies. I'm not
positive, but I think it's magnetized. It really feels like it's sticking

the tool rest when I go to pick it up. Has anyone else experienced

anything
similar? So far, I don't think it's a bad thing, but I really just started
using it. Should I de-magnetize it or leave it alone?

---

Kevin & Theresa Miller

George wrote:

If it bothers you, sure. Don't be surprised if it feels no different in use
afterward. Amount of magnetic attraction between them is in reality
infinitesimal, perhaps mentally significant.

I use magnetic bars for the tools.

I do too. I also wax the top of my tool rest. The tools slide just fine. On
smaller tools I'll notice some resistance when lifting the tool off the bar, but
when I'm cutting I want the tool *on* the bar. Fewer surprises that way! So
for me it's a non-issue...

....Kevin
--
Kevin & Theresa Miller
Juneau, Alaska
George

If you think about the field in a bar which is magnetized, you might use it
to your advantage. Skew pole N, rest pole N ought to produce a maglev for
truly frictionless use. Other end might stick.

"Kevin & Theresa Miller" wrote in message
George wrote:
I use magnetic bars for the tools.

I do too. I also wax the top of my tool rest. The tools slide just fine.

On
smaller tools I'll notice some resistance when lifting the tool off the

bar, but
when I'm cutting I want the tool *on* the bar. Fewer surprises that way!

So
for me it's a non-issue...

Alan Van Art

It's strong enough to pick up a 3/32 allen wrench but none bigger. I'm not
exactly sure how you go about de-magnetizing things, I don't have a clue
which polarity it is. I suppose I could try using another magnet, but I
might end up making it worse. I have no idea how it got that way, I don't
use magnetic tool holders. I might start using them, though, sounds like a
good way to tame my growing pile of turning tools. The magnetism is light
enough that I haven't found it to be a nuisance yet.

"Dan Kozar" wrote in message

I recently purchased a Robert Sorby Oval Skew from Craft Supplies. I'm
not
positive, but I think it's magnetized. It really feels like it's sticking
the tool rest when I go to pick it up. Has anyone else experienced
anything
similar? So far, I don't think it's a bad thing, but I really just
started
using it. Should I de-magnetize it or leave it alone?

It probably doesn't matter, but if it was mine. I would probably
demagnetize it. It could possibly get annoying after a while.
Will it pick up small pieces of metal ? Do you have a means of
demagnetizing it?

--
Dan Kozar

remove NOSPAM

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Buddy Matlosz

"Alan Van Art" wrote in message
I recently purchased a Robert Sorby Oval Skew from Craft Supplies. I'm

not
positive, but I think it's magnetized. It really feels like it's

sticking to
the tool rest when I go to pick it up. Has anyone else experienced

anything
similar? So far, I don't think it's a bad thing, but I really just

started
using it. Should I de-magnetize it or leave it alone?

A sharp blow can often demagnetize a weakly-magnetized piece of steel.
Whack the skew on the edge of a bench or with a wooden mallet.

B.

Leo Lichtman

"Buddy Matlosz" wrote: (clip) Whack the skew on the edge of a bench or with
a wooden mallet.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
If that makes you feel better, do it. This subject has been previously
discussed at great length--some say the magnetism will disrupt your turning,
and others saying the opposite. I happen to think that the attraction of a
slightly magnetic tool for the toolpost doesn't matter.

I doubt whether a wooden mallet gives the steel a sharp enough blow to have
much effect. The accepted way to demagnetize a piece of steel is to place
it in an alternating magnetic field (60 hertz is most convenient), and then
remove it slowly with the power on. As the steel is witdrawn, the flux
within the steel reverses over and over again, converging on zero.

Where to find such a field? An auto-electric shop, or a motor rewinding
shop should have a "growler" that's used for testing armatures.

Leif Thorvaldson

Yay! Let's hear it for magnetized tools. A while back this was quite a good
topic on the news group. I had even posed the possibilty of using 500# pull
magnets as a means of holding the lathe steady instead of pouring 2000#'s of
concrete or sand in boxes under the lathe. Dire predictions flew like
loosely mounted turning blanks! That much magnetism would pull all your
tools off the wall and skewer you. Or you wouldn't be able to get near the
lathe without the tool sticking to sompart of the lathe other than the tool
rest! As it turns out, I didn't go through with my lathe mounting scheme;
however, I do use the industrial strength magnetic strips to hold my tools
with. I grant you that there is some magnetism on the tool and it can make
the tool stick to the tool rest. The tool is not hindered in anyway by its
attraction to the tool rest and may well glide more smoothly and evenly as a
result of the magnetic field.. I did buy a degaussing tool from Harbor
Freight or some such outfit in the event I wanted a magnetic field free too
for some reason. I keep it mounted on my sharpening stand near the lathe,
but have hardly had occasion to use it, at least for my turning tools. It
is a hand held device with a circular ac coil at one end that you can pass
the desired tool through to demagnetize it. I have found it handy for
demagging, screw drivers and various other tools.

My advice: "Go with the flux!" *G*

Leif
"Alan Van Art" wrote in message
I recently purchased a Robert Sorby Oval Skew from Craft Supplies. I'm not
positive, but I think it's magnetized. It really feels like it's sticking
to the tool rest when I go to pick it up. Has anyone else experienced
anything similar? So far, I don't think it's a bad thing, but I really just
started using it. Should I de-magnetize it or leave it alone?

---

Radio Shack used to sell a unit for clearing audio tape. It used an AC
field . Might to the trick.

TTFN

Randy