John Doe

Default Where to buy woodworking tools, etc. online

Folks,

I am looking for your recommendation about trustworthy and cost-
effective online retailers of woodworking tools. I'm not talking
about top-of-the-line tools that only a full time artisan/craftsman
would use. I'm talking about everyday tools that are not exorbitantly
expensive. I have several woodworking retailers in my area, but they
are all just too pricey. These are the tools that Lowes and Home
Depot don't usually carry; things like dovetail jigs, fences, mitre &
measuring tools, etc. For example, I need a dovetail jig. No, not the
$400 kind, but the way-less-than-$100 kind.

Thanks!

NOTE: Your opinions and recommendations about the subject requested
are very much appreciated. Your flames, verbal attacks, and opinions
about my choices are not.

Nick

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:41:02 GMT, John Doe wrote:

Folks,

I am looking for your recommendation about trustworthy and cost-
effective online retailers of woodworking tools. I'm not talking
about top-of-the-line tools that only a full time artisan/craftsman
would use. I'm talking about everyday tools that are not exorbitantly
expensive. I have several woodworking retailers in my area, but they
are all just too pricey. These are the tools that Lowes and Home
Depot don't usually carry; things like dovetail jigs, fences, mitre &
measuring tools, etc. For example, I need a dovetail jig. No, not the
$400 kind, but the way-less-than-$100 kind.

Thanks!

NOTE: Your opinions and recommendations about the subject requested
are very much appreciated. Your flames, verbal attacks, and opinions
about my choices are not.

Something like this what you mean?
I've had a bunch of stuff from these guys and for the most part it's
worked out fine. Most of what they sell is cheap import but OK for
most DIY needs.

Nick..
Eric Scantlebury

"John Doe" wrote in message
.. .
Folks,

I am looking for your recommendation about trustworthy and cost-
effective online retailers of woodworking tools. I'm not talking
about top-of-the-line tools that only a full time artisan/craftsman
would use. I'm talking about everyday tools that are not exorbitantly
expensive. I have several woodworking retailers in my area, but they
are all just too pricey. These are the tools that Lowes and Home
Depot don't usually carry; things like dovetail jigs, fences, mitre &
measuring tools, etc. For example, I need a dovetail jig. No, not the
$400 kind, but the way-less-than-$100 kind.

You might want to go ask in rec.woodworking - but the following two will
probably be thrown out at you at some point:

http://www.harborfreight.com/
www.grizzly.com

Dave

I have bought a lot of stuff from Tool Crib of the North. Go to Amazon.Com
and click on "tools & hardware" that takes you automatically to their site.
A lot of their stuff has free shipping.

"Eric Scantlebury" wrote in message

"John Doe" wrote in message
.. .
Folks,

I am looking for your recommendation about trustworthy and cost-
effective online retailers of woodworking tools. I'm not talking
about top-of-the-line tools that only a full time artisan/craftsman
would use. I'm talking about everyday tools that are not exorbitantly
expensive. I have several woodworking retailers in my area, but they
are all just too pricey. These are the tools that Lowes and Home
Depot don't usually carry; things like dovetail jigs, fences, mitre &
measuring tools, etc. For example, I need a dovetail jig. No, not the
$400 kind, but the way-less-than-$100 kind.

You might want to go ask in rec.woodworking - but the following two will
probably be thrown out at you at some point:

http://www.harborfreight.com/
www.grizzly.com

John Doe

John Doe spewed sizeable chunks in
:

Folks,

I am looking for your recommendation about trustworthy and cost-
effective online retailers of woodworking tools. I'm not talking
about top-of-the-line tools that only a full time
artisan/craftsman would use. I'm talking about everyday tools
that are not exorbitantly expensive. I have several woodworking
retailers in my area, but they are all just too pricey. These
are the tools that Lowes and Home Depot don't usually carry;
things like dovetail jigs, fences, mitre & measuring tools, etc.
For example, I need a dovetail jig. No, not the $400 kind, but
the way-less-than-$100 kind.

Many thanks all those who responded - very useful sources!! First
order already placed...

John

Chuck Yerkes

John Doe wrote:

Folks,

I am looking for your recommendation about trustworthy and cost-
effective online retailers of woodworking tools. I'm not talking
about top-of-the-line tools that only a full time artisan/craftsman
would use. I'm talking about everyday tools that are not exorbitantly
expensive. I have several woodworking retailers in my area, but they
are all just too pricey. These are the tools that Lowes and Home
Depot don't usually carry; things like dovetail jigs, fences, mitre &
measuring tools, etc. For example, I need a dovetail jig. No, not the
$400 kind, but the way-less-than-$100 kind.

I try to buy stuff from local retailers that are more pricey that
the amazons and big box places. Why? Because then I'm a customer.
And when I have questions, they are happy to spend time with me
answering (stupid) questions?

Problem with a router? Oh, there's a trick that if you set it up
like THIS and do THAT and put tape on the piece first, it come out
better. tricks that generally can save me mroe than the cost difference
for the tool. That and the guys who work there and the guy that owns
it takes my money and they spend it in town. And THOSE people spend it
doing stuff that pays ME! It's like a whole local economy.

Or I could go to Lowe's. The workers get Min. practical wage and the
rest goes to North Carolina. Where I don't live.
Phisherman

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:41:02 GMT, John Doe wrote:

Folks,

I am looking for your recommendation about trustworthy and cost-
effective online retailers of woodworking tools. I'm not talking
about top-of-the-line tools that only a full time artisan/craftsman
would use. I'm talking about everyday tools that are not exorbitantly
expensive. I have several woodworking retailers in my area, but they
are all just too pricey. These are the tools that Lowes and Home
Depot don't usually carry; things like dovetail jigs, fences, mitre &
measuring tools, etc. For example, I need a dovetail jig. No, not the
$400 kind, but the way-less-than-$100 kind.

I've ordered many tools from Amazon.com. They have many brands.
Also, I bought numerous woodworking books from Amazon. Never had a
problem and shipping time has been good. Stay away from cheap tools.
Paull

On 26-Jun-2004, Chuck Yerkes actually
said:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

I agree, I like to buy from someone within choking distance!

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

John Doe

Chuck Yerkes spewed sizeable
chunks in news:uz9Dc.111191$eu.88333@attbi_s02:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

I buy guitars the same way for the same reason. While I wasn't
looking for philosophical opinions about where I should buy, I do
appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Who Makes What Tools Gunner Metalworking 7 March 27th 04 10:00 PM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Power tools in Europe (long) Christian Aufreiter Woodworking 23 October 17th 03 10:44 AM
Online ordering of power tools? BigWallop UK diy 9 August 5th 03 01:53 PM