Luigi Zanasi

Default rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 4 of 10 - Sources for Tools & Materials

4. SOURCES FOR TOOLS AND MATERIALS
4.1 WHAT IS THE BEST PLACE TO BUY TOOLS?
Trendlines or Harbor Freight. Sears is also pretty good, with
high quality, durable tools. For Canadians, it’s Crappy Tire.
The other places are a rip-off. You could also join the Handyman
Club of America and get a whole bunch of free tools for testing.
But this is supposed to be secret, so don’t tell anyone you heard
it here.

4.2 SHOULD I BUY A SEARS BLURFL?
Sears Crapsman are fine tools for beginning and advanced
woodworkers. If you don't believe me ask [f]Art.. He has been
busy researching Craftsman history and found that Craftsman power
tools actually are significantly better than those of 20 years
ago. They give your stuff the real imperfect "hand-crafted"
look. Make sure you also get a Sears belt sander to fix your
mistakes.

Bob Z. responded to questions from a newbie about the Craftsman
bashing issue.

Q. I've noticed that CRAFTSMAN (Sears) woodworking tools like
tablesaws, radial arm saws, band saws, etc., seem to get dumped
on. Why?
The answer is simple: this forum is a bunch of mean spirited

drooling idiots.

Q. Are they really that bad?
No. Craftsman tools are excellent! These morons just can't

afford Craftsman quality, so they have to bash Craftsman. Don't
listen to these pathetic losers.

Q. What do the experts consider to be the "best" or "top of the
line" brands when it comes to woodworking tools.
Craftsman!!! How can there be any doubt???!!! Don't listen to

these fools!!!

Sears also makes incredibly efficient motors. For the same size
and weight and electrical current draw, their motors have much
more power than the competition. Who else but Sears can defy the
laws of physics and make a 3 horsepower motor that only draws 13
Amps at 120 Volts?

Maybe the screaming coming from a universal motor is the sound of
that unaccounted for power being sucked through the
interdimensional vortex?

4.3 WHY IS BOB VILA SUCH A JERK?
The Bobster is not a jerk. It's not his fault he knows
everything and other people don't. Evidence of this is that he
was responsible for bringing Norm to PBS. The fact that he
shills the wonderful Sears tool is even more evidence of his
great insight.

4.4 SHOULD I BUY A TAIWANESE CLONE BLURFL?
Sure, they're cheaper. You can save a lot of money. But don't
spend the big bucks on Grizzly & especially Jet. They are
overpriced. They're all made in the same factory anyway.

4.5 IS RIDGID (ALSO SPELLED RIGID, RIDGED, ETC.) ANY GOOD?
The best!!! Ask any plumber. Oh, you mean the new woodworking
stuff at the Borg. The Rigid tools at HD are actually like a
cross between Jet and Delta. The Borg was getting tired of
matching prices with everybody on Delta tools, so they got the
producer of the great Sears stationary tools, Emerson Electric,
to develop a new line for them that's even better and cheaper
than Sears, Delta, Powermatic, Jet, General, Felder, Inca,
Altendorf, all put together.

4.6 WHAT SHOULD I DO IF HD WON'T MATCH A PRICE?
The Borg has a very clear policy of matching competitors' prices
and taking 10% off. It is very important for all of us to make
sure that Home Despot follows its policy. How else are we going
to help the Borg eliminate all its competitors? A HD monopoly
would make life much easier for us woodworkers. It would
eliminate the agonizing choices about what to buy and who to buy
from we have to make every time we need a tool or some wood. We
would save a lot of time wasted shopping around when we could be
working in the shop. It would also end up saving a lot of
bandwidth on rec.norm and avert the need to split the group. So
if you're having a problem in any store, threaten to call Linda
or Joan or Lisa at the HD headquarters (actually, any female name
will work).

4.7 WHAT SHOULD I DO WHEN THE TRUCKDRIVER REFUSES TO UNLOAD AND
SET UP MY NEW 2000LB MAIL ORDER BLURFL?
Truck drivers should be required to break their backs because you
ordered from a mail-order company or Amazon to get a price break
and not from your local dealer. To hell with OSHA and all other
stupid government regulations and union rules. It's a real
ripoff when you pay $25.00 for shipping 1000 pounds across the
continent and then have to pay a whole bunch more to get it
unloaded at your house. Lift gates should be compulsory on all
semi trailers, to force the freight companies to deal fairly with
their hobbyist woodworking customers, who are the largest part of
their business. Do they think everybody has a loading dock in
their workshop? It's obviously not the mail order company since
they always make sure they get the best, fastest, and most
expensive shipping methods and always specify FAS delivery.

4.8 WHERE CAN I GET INFORMATION ABOUT PARTICLE BOARD AND MDF?
One word - Home Despot. The helpful staff at Home Depot know
everything there is to know about wood and woodworking. They are
all qualified tradespeople who took a massive pay cut just so
they could be helpful to rank amateurs.

4.9 CAN I USE THE WOOD FROM PALLETS?
Used pallets are a very easy way of getting free good hardwood.
You can save a lot of money by disassembling pallets. Pallets
need to be strong so they are made of the best quality clear, dry
and straight-grained hardwood, even better than what you can get
at the Borg. You might even get some expensive tropical
hardwoods on pallets from Southeast Asia or Japan. Plus reusing
pallets saves trees to hug for the eco-freaks among us.

You should have no problem taking the pallets apart, since most
pallet manufacturers have thoughtfully made them easy to
disassemble. Crowbars to your wallet or tactical nuclear weapons
work best. (See Crowbar FAQ)

Don't worry about nails. Nails are made from soft steel. The
steel in your planer and jointer are harder than nails, and so is
the carbide on your blades. (So is the steel in any decent hand
plane, for the Neander types.)

4.10 WHAT IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET HARDWOOD?
If you're too lazy to take pallets apart go to eBay. You can get
incredible hardwoods for really cheap, all precut in the sizes
you need for actual projects. Don’t worry about getting into a
bidding war, the stuff for sale there is worth a lot more than
anyone has ever bid on it. The pictures don’t do it justice.
The Borg is also pretty good, and you’ll save on planing and
jointing. Local lumberyards and sawmills specializing in
hardwoods are a rip-off.