Reyd Dorakeen

Default looking for a lathe

I'm still trying to find an affordable lathe, the jet ones look great, but
too much for me to be able to pay for. are there any(like the harbor
Freight one that somebody was talking about, that are under 200$US, that
would do a decent job for a while?
thanks

Grandpa

The Harbor Freight 36066 can be had when on sale for $69-$79US. Not the
best lathe for sure but darned good to learn on for a small investment.
It does not include a stand, available for extra $$$. Odd sized
threads for a chuck too but they are available thru HF for a nominal amount.

Reyd Dorakeen wrote:

I'm still trying to find an affordable lathe, the jet ones look great, but
too much for me to be able to pay for. are there any(like the harbor
Freight one that somebody was talking about, that are under 200$US, that
would do a decent job for a while?
thanks

Ecnerwal

In article , Reyd Dorakeen
wrote:

Freight one that somebody was talking about, that are under 200$US, that
would do a decent job for a while?

Your best best in the $200 and under range is going to be used. Follow
the classified ads, look up your local version of "want ad digest" or
"uncle henry's" (regional sell/buy/swap classified ad publications), if
you don't see anything in a whiole of looking, post a "wanted" or "buy"
ad, perhaps.

speedbuggy

If you are interested in a smaller lathe the jet mini/midi can be had for
$199 U.S. and in the future you could add the bed extension. I would stray
away from lathes and other tools with oddball size stuff on them, you can
never buy any NICE after market stuff for them.

"Reyd Dorakeen" wrote in message
I'm still trying to find an affordable lathe, the jet ones look great, but
too much for me to be able to pay for. are there any(like the harbor
Freight one that somebody was talking about, that are under 200$US, that
would do a decent job for a while?
thanks

Silvan

Mark Jerde wrote:

I've never turned but am interested in it. What do I need to order, if
you
don't mind? Lathe, stand, chuck, chisels. (I have a scary-sharp setup.)

Depends on what you can make, Mark.

I have a lathe (JET mini), a shop-built stand. No chuck yet. Looks like I
need to remedy that almost immediately if I want to use up some small,
square 4/4 scraps for practicing. I have a super cheapo set of lathe tools
to start out with, and I'm glad I'm not using anything expensive, because
I'm doing a real number on them while making my first pathetic attempts at
getting them sharp.

Scary Sharp(tm) is pretty useless for this stuff. Too many curves, and the
consensus always seems to be that the way to do it is to grind and use,
without honing. Honing is said to be largely a waste of time for turning,
because tools need sharpening constantly.

That's my newbie take on it. I absolutely SUCK at turning so far. I've had
my lathe for a day and a half now, and I'm really beginning to wonder what
I've gotten myself into. Kinda wishing I'd bought the Veritas #6 foreplane
instead, truth be told, but hopefully I'm just caught up in a self pity
spiral, and I'll feel better about it in the morning.

I might cave in and take some classes, and I never take classes for
anything. I'm no longer convinced I can figure this out just from reading
books. It's like learning how to dance the macarena by following numbered
footsteps on the floor. The footsteps just don't tell the story by
themselves.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Jerry Pettus

"Reyd Dorakeen" wrote in message
I'm still trying to find an affordable lathe, the jet ones look great, but
too much for me to be able to pay for. are there any(like the harbor
Freight one that somebody was talking about, that are under 200$US, that
would do a decent job for a while?
thanks

I am new to wood turning. I purchased the HF T34706 12x36 lthe and have
found it to satisfactory for my needs thus far. I paid around $180 (on
sale). So far I have done some spindle turning and a few segmented bowls.
The lathe has worked fine. My only complaint is that it is noisy. I am sure
that some day I will want a better lathe but for now it is doing everything
I have ask of it.
Jerry

Harry B. Pye

I might cave in and take some classes, and I never take classes for
anything. I'm no longer convinced I can figure this out just from reading
books. It's like learning how to dance the macarena by following numbered
footsteps on the floor. The footsteps just don't tell the story by
themselves.

Don't look at taking lessons as 'caving in.' Getting a few hours instruction
from someone who knows how to turn and how to teach will save you from
making many frustrating and possibly harmful mistakes. You don't get
anything tangible from the lessons as you would if you bought some tools but
it should increase the pleasure you realize from turning. Remember, all the
touring golf professionals have and use an instructor.

Hope this helps,

Harry

georgetroy

"speedbuggy" wrote in message igy.com...
If you are interested in a smaller lathe the jet mini/midi can be had for
$199 U.S. and in the future you could add the bed extension. I would stray
away from lathes and other tools with oddball size stuff on them, you can
never buy any NICE after market stuff for them.

"Reyd Dorakeen" wrote in message
I'm still trying to find an affordable lathe, the jet ones look great, but
too much for me to be able to pay for. are there any(like the harbor
Freight one that somebody was talking about, that are under 200$US, that
would do a decent job for a while?
thanks

Look no further than the Nova DVR. 16" swing. High quality,
expandible, 1 1/4" x 8 thread. Easy to find parts. Factory support.
Computer varible speed from 250-3000. Swivel Head, outrigger
available. Buy once for around $1700. Don't waste your money on China
iron. Here's a support group.
http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners
Russell Seaton

Reyd Dorakeen wrote in message ...
I'm still trying to find an affordable lathe, the jet ones look great, but
too much for me to be able to pay for. are there any(like the harbor
Freight one that somebody was talking about, that are under 200$US, that
would do a decent job for a while?
thanks

As already mentioned, the Jet mini lathe can be purchased from Amazon
and others for $199. Add a set of Harbor Freight HSS Chinese tools,
#47066, for $29.99. And a $50 bowl gouge. And a Woodcraft 8 inch
slow speed grinder, $90, if you don't already have a grinder. And you
are set.

No its not free or real cheap. It is a hobby so it costs to get
involved. If you object to paying this much, then acquire a knife, a
stone, and a strop, and be a whittling carver. Minimal tool cost to
begin whittling. Or take up rustic furniture making using twigs and
sticks to build chairs. Or green woodworking where almost everything
is done with a drawknife, spokeshave, and brace.

Tim

Jerry Pettus wrote:

"Reyd Dorakeen" wrote in message

I'm still trying to find an affordable lathe, the jet ones look great, but
too much for me to be able to pay for. are there any(like the harbor
Freight one that somebody was talking about, that are under 200$US, that
would do a decent job for a while?
thanks

I second Jerry with an affordable Jet clone from Harbor Freight. It's
$269 regular price but it goes on sale for under $200 occasionally.
Throw in their high speed tool set and you have plenty to start out with
for a beginner. You will also need a bench grinder to sharpen your tools.

Reyd Dorakeen

I've already done enough hand carving(my hands will never be the same)
greenwoodworking sounds interesting, want to send a link on that?(i have the
tools for that apparently)and its something I could do until i have enough
for a lathe to work on at home, instead of just for 2 hours a day.

[...]

Reyd Dorakeen

You will also need a bench grinder to sharpen your tools. Can't I do it by
hand on a stone? Or maybe on the belt sander(if i turn it on first, then
sit it on its back)

Mark Jerde

Reyd Dorakeen wrote:
I've already done enough hand carving(my hands will never be the same)
greenwoodworking sounds interesting, want to send a link on that?(i
have the tools for that apparently)and its something I could do until
i have enough for a lathe to work on at home, instead of just for 2
hours a day.

http://www.greenwoodworking.com/ g

-- Mark

Default looking for a lathe - get back on target

georgetroy wrote:
Look no further than the Nova DVR. 16" swing. High quality,
expandible, 1 1/4" x 8 thread. Easy to find parts. Factory support.
Computer varible speed from 250-3000. Swivel Head, outrigger
available. Buy once for around $1700. Don't waste your money on China
iron. Here's a support group.
http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners

OP said he had $100 to spend. You guys want to get back into the
ballpark. Not $300, not $1700, not $200. $100 that's it.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Tim

Reyd Dorakeen wrote:
You will also need a bench grinder to sharpen your tools. Can't I do it by
hand on a stone? Or maybe on the belt sander(if i turn it on first, then
sit it on its back)

I believe some people on this group use a belt sander. I just mentioned
the bench grinder because it seems to be more popular and they are
cheap. It would take a while to do it by hand, but I guess you could.
Some people hone their tools by hand after sharpening on a grinder or belt.
Arch

Default looking for a lathe (not concise)

Hi Reyd,
If you are young and strong and have some hand tools and most any sort
of junk parts, consider making and starting out with a simple pole
lathe. They are cheap, yet can be very rewarding, IMHO.

A pole lathe is always a conversation starter among turners. It gives
you instant recognition. It teaches you a bit of the craft's history and
gives you a feel for the tribulations of those who came before you. It
safely teaches you the fundamentals of every spindle cut with slow
enough speeds for you to see the reason for your mistakes. The 'old
thing' becomes a treasured keepsake after you become an expert turner.
No expensive wood is needed (or even desirable), just some free and
easily turned green limbs. An imperfect turning is the norm and is
expected. Cheap or homemade edge tools with ugly handles are in good
taste and are just right for the job. No electricity is needed, and your
aching legs will force you to learn to sharpen well.

There are lots of opportunities for your own innovativations and your
personal designs. I have seen some beautiful pole lathes......and some
ugly ones. Both kinds worked and were prized by their owners. Mike
Abbott's "Green Woodworking" plus several websites would get you
started, or at least be an interesting read as you take up the craft.
Al best, Arch

Fortiter,

Reyd Dorakeen

I was thinking about building one in the meantime, it would be pretty crude,
just using a sawhorse bolted down as the base, a 1 speed motor, maybe
running through a bike's chain gear system for speed adjustments and no
sliding toolrest, just an |-| shaped piece of wood for a rest., and each
bowl would be bolted on, but it would be interesting. we have a few decent
motors around, 1/2horse old electric(lots of push, less speed) another 1/2
horse running the grinding wheels(very small wheels, the motor is almost
dead) and then a quite large motor in an industrial fan thing sitting in
the basement. I think ive made most of the mistakes im going to, and my
teacher explained why a lot of them happened.(ill just do them over and over
now)

[...]

Arch

Go for it Reyd, Convert that sawhorse,you won't regret it.

I do hate to be the COC to point out your worst mistake so
far;......thinking that you have made all of them. Arch

Fortiter,

Mark Hopkins

You can locate a group near you where you can attend meetings and pickup a
LOT of tips and tricks and quite possibly an old lathe that someone wants to
sell because they are upgrading.

[...]

Reyd Dorakeen

I dunno, I seem to be making the same ones over and over now instead of
finding new ones to make:P so far the list includes
-rember to lower the speed for bigger things
-dont start it when the locking pin is on
-make sure the tool rest is far enough back
no matter what the teacher says, goglles suc
-dont let little pests near the starting buttons when your hands are near
the pulleys
-skew chisels will damage things if you poke them into it while its spinning
-make sure the glue is dry so that bits of your bowl stay together
-gouges hurt when you slip over to the other side on the inside of a bowl
-when the sandpaper starts smoking, that should mean stop, it will be
burning your hand soon
-check to make sure that the gouge is actually attached to the handle(so it
doesnt go flying around)
-watch the sides of your bowl, when it starts to make loud noises, that
means your coming through the side soon
:P
those are the ones i remeber most so far.

Go for it Reyd, Convert that sawhorse,you won't regret it.

I do hate to be the COC to point out your worst mistake so
far;......thinking that you have made all of them. Arch

Fortiter,

Dave Balderstone

Reyd,

IF you're adventurous and have an electric motor (1/4 hp 1750 rpm would
be plenty) I'll send you this old one for the cost of shipping from
Saskatoon:

http://balderstone.ca/lathe5.jpg

The tool rest is broken, and the set screw for the tail stock is
buggered, but if you or a buddy are taking shop at school you could fix
it up easily.

Happy to help a fellow Zelazny fan.

;-)

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Reyd Dorakeen

about how heavy is it?, is it belt drive, or do i attach to motor
directly?(I'd love to have it, it looks like my favorite type of machine(in
need of a little love:P) your the first person to get my name, I was
starting to wonder if anyone else had read roadmarks.

Reyd Dorakeen wrote:
your the first person to get my name, I was
starting to wonder if anyone else had read roadmarks.

Oh no, we all got it, we just didn't comment. Much like Mekon.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Dave Balderstone

In article , Reyd Dorakeen
wrote:

about how heavy is it?, is it belt drive, or do i attach to motor
directly?(I'd love to have it, it looks like my favorite type of machine(in
need of a little love:P) your the first person to get my name, I was
starting to wonder if anyone else had read roadmarks.

I'll haul it onto a scale later, I'm just taking a break from the
kitchen... I do the holiday cooking in this house. g

I'm guessing under 30 pounds, but I'll have to dig it out from under
the bench to confirm.

It's belt drive, and yeah it needs a little love, but it's got some
history (Grandpa to Dad to me). I'd like to have it used rather than
boat anchored, so I'll find out what shipping would be and let you
know. Is a valid email address? If not, send me a
private note (sans socks).

As for Roadmarks... I've read everything I can find of Zelazny's,
starting about 25 years ago. I was disappointed with his attempt to
extend the Amber series, but more disappointed that we'll have no new
work from the man.

Merry Christmas!

djb