Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Stupid mistake.. info for new turners

Violated one of my basic rules this morning and I'm paying the price now...

I usually sit down when I'm hollowing, not only easier on the back but it avoids
leaning over the tool..

I was hollowing with the Mega Eliminator and was aware of the cutter position,
throw zone, etc...
I forgot that I NEVER have my face near the tool handle...
Got a small catch which I'm guessing then jammed the tool for a split second..
Just long enough to make the "safe" end of the tool (1" SS bar) deliver an
uppercut that almost knocked me out..

It took a while to stop the bleeding, more of a scrape on my chin then a cut,
but I'm remembering my bad days and what catching an uppercut makes your jaw
joints feel like... Not as much fun in my 60's as it was in my 20's, for sure..

Hope my experience helps a new turner be aware of the end of the tool or
handle..
Always be aware of what COULD happen and expect the worst case..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 11:54:49 -0600, mac davis wrote
(in message ):

[...]

Heal quickly and well. My take on this lesson for all is this... we get
comfortable and then complacent, doing what we do, and too often forget the
rules. Each thing we touch has its own rules - the lathe, the other tools,
and the wood. Thank you for posting this sobering reminder.
tom koehler

I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

That handle to the chin is one reason why I like a captured system.
Just a little bit safer, though if I am roughing out my hollow forms,
I do it standing with a Kelton hollower in my coring handle, and the
laser. I can be more aggressive that way.

robo hippy

On Feb 8, 7:57*pm, Dave Balderstone
wrote:
In article , mac davis

wrote:
It took a while to stop the bleeding, more of a scrape on my chin then a cut,
but I'm remembering my bad days and what catching an uppercut makes your jaw
joints feel like... Not as much fun in my 60's as it was in my 20's, for sure..

Hope the injury is as minor as you're making it out to be, Mac. *And
thanks for the post. Safety reminders are always worthwhile.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 20:38:54 -0600, tom koehler
wrote:

Heal quickly and well. My take on this lesson for all is this... we get
comfortable and then complacent, doing what we do, and too often forget the
rules. Each thing we touch has its own rules - the lathe, the other tools,
and the wood. Thank you for posting this sobering reminder.
tom koehler

I will find a way or make one.

Thanks, Tom...

My dad ran a sign shop and almost lost some fingers being careless with a table
saw... He told us kids that if we ever stopped being afraid of our tools, it was
time to quit using them..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 21:57:08 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , mac davis
wrote:

It took a while to stop the bleeding, more of a scrape on my chin then a cut,
but I'm remembering my bad days and what catching an uppercut makes your jaw
joints feel like... Not as much fun in my 60's as it was in my 20's, for sure..

Hope the injury is as minor as you're making it out to be, Mac. And
thanks for the post. Safety reminders are always worthwhile.

Well, my wife thinks that it should be stitched, but I don't.. guy thing?
Besides the fact that it stopped bleeding after a few minutes, I know that the
first thing the ER would do is shave off my beard..

My jaw joints are defiantly remembering what an uppercut feels like, though..
Don't know if it would have been better or worse if I'd had the handle on it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 21:40:59 -0800 (PST), robo hippy
wrote:

That handle to the chin is one reason why I like a captured system.
Just a little bit safer, though if I am roughing out my hollow forms,
I do it standing with a Kelton hollower in my coring handle, and the
laser. I can be more aggressive that way.

robo hippy

I wasn't "really" hollowing, Reed...
I was turning a "bugle bowl" and decided that it might be cool it I left the
middle in and made a ball out of it... the piece is only about 3" deep, but the
Eliminator got wedged (I think) between the ball and the wall for a second..

I use the Kelton handle with it if I'm going deep, but it would have been heavy
and in the way for this piece..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mac davis" wrote in message

I forgot that I NEVER have my face near the tool handle...
Got a small catch which I'm guessing then jammed the tool for a split
second..
Just long enough to make the "safe" end of the tool (1" SS bar) deliver an
uppercut that almost knocked me out..

Ouch, hope that heals quick & there is no permanent damage.

What were you wearing on your face?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

LDosser wrote:
"mac davis" wrote in message

I forgot that I NEVER have my face near the tool handle...
Got a small catch which I'm guessing then jammed the tool for a split
second..
Just long enough to make the "safe" end of the tool (1" SS bar) deliver an
uppercut that almost knocked me out..

Ouch, hope that heals quick & there is no permanent damage.

What were you wearing on your face?

A protective beard. Doubt if a standard face shield would protect from
an uppercut.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

All the world's a stage, and I missed
rehearsal.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 02:16:54 -0800, "LDosser" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .

I forgot that I NEVER have my face near the tool handle...
Got a small catch which I'm guessing then jammed the tool for a split
second..
Just long enough to make the "safe" end of the tool (1" SS bar) deliver an
uppercut that almost knocked me out..

Ouch, hope that heals quick & there is no permanent damage.

What were you wearing on your face?

Besides the surprised look?

Safety glasses and fortunately, a full beard.. I think that cushioned a bit of
the impact..
I dusted off my face shield and put it on and it wouldn't have helped.. maybe my
old full face motorcycle helmet would have been nice.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:44:29 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote:

LDosser wrote:
"mac davis" wrote in message

I forgot that I NEVER have my face near the tool handle...
Got a small catch which I'm guessing then jammed the tool for a split
second..
Just long enough to make the "safe" end of the tool (1" SS bar) deliver an
uppercut that almost knocked me out..

Ouch, hope that heals quick & there is no permanent damage.

What were you wearing on your face?

A protective beard. Doubt if a standard face shield would protect from
an uppercut.

Exactly, Gerald.. and for those that don't think that a beard helps, you don't
realize how much the hair on your head cushions you until you lose that hair..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mac,
I have lost a few hollow forms by the cone in the center when I didn't
drill out enough. The back side of the cutter hits the cone, and is
grabbed, pulled down and around, then slammed back into the tool rest.
Sounds like that is what may have happened.

robo hippy

On Feb 9, 8:54*am, mac davis wrote:
On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:44:29 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote:
LDosser wrote:
"mac davis" wrote in message
. ..

I forgot that I NEVER have my face near the tool handle...
Got a small catch which I'm guessing then jammed the tool for a split
second..
Just long enough to make the "safe" end of the tool (1" SS bar) deliver an
uppercut that almost knocked me out..

Ouch, hope that heals quick & there is no permanent damage.

What were you wearing on your face?

A protective beard. Doubt if a standard face shield would protect from
an uppercut.

Exactly, Gerald.. and for those that don't think that a beard helps, you don't
realize how much the hair on your head cushions you until you lose that hair..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"robo hippy" wrote in message
Oh yes, I forgot to add this: Shaving is an unnatural act!

I shave my face and head daily.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

LDosser wrote:
"mac davis" wrote in message

I forgot that I NEVER have my face near the tool handle...
Got a small catch which I'm guessing then jammed the tool for a split
second..
Just long enough to make the "safe" end of the tool (1" SS bar) deliver
an
uppercut that almost knocked me out..

Ouch, hope that heals quick & there is no permanent damage.

What were you wearing on your face?

A protective beard. Doubt if a standard face shield would protect from
an uppercut.

Exactly, Gerald.. and for those that don't think that a beard helps, you
don't
realize how much the hair on your head cushions you until you lose that
hair..

Seems like a face shield might have caught some of the blow.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 09:35:30 -0800 (PST), robo hippy
wrote:

Mac,
I have lost a few hollow forms by the cone in the center when I didn't
drill out enough. The back side of the cutter hits the cone, and is
grabbed, pulled down and around, then slammed back into the tool rest.
Sounds like that is what may have happened.

robo hippy

I'm pretty sure that's what happened... the piece looks kind of like an old ash
tray for a pipe, has a knob in the middle that tapers smaller as it gets towards
the bottom..
Since it's really hard to get a catch with the eliminate, and there was no
gouge in the piece, I'm guessing the back of the tool hit the knob..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 11:49:32 -0800, "LDosser" wrote:

What were you wearing on your face?

A protective beard. Doubt if a standard face shield would protect from
an uppercut.

Exactly, Gerald.. and for those that don't think that a beard helps, you
don't
realize how much the hair on your head cushions you until you lose that
hair..

Seems like a face shield might have caught some of the blow.

I don't think so.. I sort of recreated the event, (with the lathe stopped), and
the shield is too far out in front of my face to protect my chin..
Actually, if it would have hit the face shield, it would of missed my chin and
hit the INSIDE of the shield..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Now I gotta go buy a chin guard !!!
I also have a long beard,I keep getting rapped up in my screw guns.
One day I was turning a bowl and found a crack in the wall, so I put a
band clamp around the outside so I could finish the inside.Dam if I
didn't get some beard under the clamp.Luckily my belt was loose on my
lathe ,when I hit start it jerked about a dozen hairs off my chin.
My wife wanted me to were a jock strap on my chin after that. Now I put
it in a pony tail and tuck it down my shirt on my chest.
So far I sawed into both thumbs and a middle finger ,got the other
middle finger smacked by a snow blower inpeller when the chute got
plugged up,almost lost that one !!The other three I just taped up
NOW I am more carfull and I stopped drinking, so much !!!! least when
I'm neer anything with a motor on it.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair