Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Stupid mistake.. info for new turners

Violated one of my basic rules this morning and I'm paying the price now...

I usually sit down when I'm hollowing, not only easier on the back but it avoids
leaning over the tool..

I was hollowing with the Mega Eliminator and was aware of the cutter position,
throw zone, etc...
I forgot that I NEVER have my face near the tool handle...
Got a small catch which I'm guessing then jammed the tool for a split second..
Just long enough to make the "safe" end of the tool (1" SS bar) deliver an
uppercut that almost knocked me out..

It took a while to stop the bleeding, more of a scrape on my chin then a cut,
but I'm remembering my bad days and what catching an uppercut makes your jaw
joints feel like... Not as much fun in my 60's as it was in my 20's, for sure..

Hope my experience helps a new turner be aware of the end of the tool or
handle..
Always be aware of what COULD happen and expect the worst case..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing