Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Default Minimal bottom nib

Am looking for a way to make a 1 1/2" dia. hole, ~1 1/2" deep with
minimal bottom indentation (flat-bottomed hole). I have a 1/2 hp drill
press and a 3/4 hp lathe.

38 mm is also acceptable.

I want to make the hole in one pass. This is not a critical appearance
item but, of course, better is better.

What is my best choice of drill bit and who, if you know, has them for
yesterday delivery?

Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000758-3, 07/22/2007
Tested on: 7/22/2007 7:54:46 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Check out a Forstner bit. They are designed to do just what you describe.
It will leave a small dimple in the bottom center of the hole and, if that's
objectionable to you, you could grind off the centering nib from the bit.

They are readily available and most good hardware stores carry them
as does the woodworking stores such as Rockler and Woodcraft.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ilter=forstner

Art

"BillinDetroit" wrote in message
Am looking for a way to make a 1 1/2" dia. hole, ~1 1/2" deep with
minimal bottom indentation (flat-bottomed hole). I have a 1/2 hp drill
press and a 3/4 hp lathe.

38 mm is also acceptable.

I want to make the hole in one pass. This is not a critical appearance
item but, of course, better is better.

What is my best choice of drill bit and who, if you know, has them for
yesterday delivery?

Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000758-3, 07/22/2007
Tested on: 7/22/2007 7:54:46 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

I have used a Forstner bits with half way decent results HarorFreight
carries an inexpensive set that has the size that you are looking for. Also
Cummins Industrial Tools has a good set of Forstner bits as well.

Steven Raphael
Ithaca MI
http://www.geocities.com/steven_raph...turnings1.html
"BillinDetroit" wrote in message
Am looking for a way to make a 1 1/2" dia. hole, ~1 1/2" deep with minimal
bottom indentation (flat-bottomed hole). I have a 1/2 hp drill press and a
3/4 hp lathe.

38 mm is also acceptable.

I want to make the hole in one pass. This is not a critical appearance
item but, of course, better is better.

What is my best choice of drill bit and who, if you know, has them for
yesterday delivery?

Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000758-3, 07/22/2007
Tested on: 7/22/2007 7:54:46 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

What is my best choice of drill bit and who, if you know, has them for
yesterday delivery?

I like Lee Valley forstner bits, and in my experience they ship quite
quickly. (However I'm in NY, same state as their shipping warehouse,
but regardless, they process orders quickly).
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240
I've also found Harbor Freight forstner bits to be not too bad -
obviously not as good as LV's, but really acceptable. May be a good
choice if you're going to grind off the center nib. You could get a
full set of forstners from HF, including a 1 1/2", for a little more
than you'd pay to LV + shipping.
If you're going to be drilling a lot of holes, though, the LV would
definitely be worth it.
Hope this helps,
Andy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

BillinDetroit wrote:

Am looking for a way to make a 1 1/2" dia. hole, ~1 1/2" deep with
minimal bottom indentation (flat-bottomed hole). I have a 1/2 hp drill
press and a 3/4 hp lathe.

How many ways can you say "Forstner bit"?

Lew

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

On Jul 22, 4:54 pm, BillinDetroit wrote:
Am looking for a way to make a 1 1/2" dia. hole, ~1 1/2" deep with
minimal bottom indentation (flat-bottomed hole). I have a 1/2 hp drill
press and a 3/4 hp lathe.

38 mm is also acceptable.

I want to make the hole in one pass. This is not a critical appearance
item but, of course, better is better.

What is my best choice of drill bit and who, if you know, has them for
yesterday delivery?

Bill

3 approaches come to mind.

1) quick-and-dirty: for a small number of holes, for cheap and good
enough results grind a spade bit to what you need.

2) go buy a forstner bit. see other replies.

3) plunge router, straight bit with template guides and template. this
is the slowest, best results and second cheapest (not counting the
router...)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
BillinDetroit wrote:

Am looking for a way to make a 1 1/2" dia. hole, ~1 1/2" deep with
minimal bottom indentation (flat-bottomed hole). I have a 1/2 hp drill
press and a 3/4 hp lathe.

How many ways can you say "Forstner bit"?

Lew

I was hoping I'd overlooked something. An inch and a half Forstner into
a small piece (no two alike so fixturing is 'iffy') might make for an
interesting work holding exercise.

I wanted to avoid that.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000758-3, 07/22/2007
Tested on: 7/22/2007 10:39:39 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Andy wrote:
What is my best choice of drill bit and who, if you know, has them for
yesterday delivery?

I like Lee Valley forstner bits, and in my experience they ship quite
quickly. (However I'm in NY, same state as their shipping warehouse,
but regardless, they process orders quickly).
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240

Yeah, Andy ... a BIG help!

Compare the Lee Valley prices with these.

http://www.toolcenter.com/MULTI-SPUR_BITS.html

My eyes are getting old ... so maybe I just can't see where the $50
difference comes in. The Lee Valley bits even look to have a heavier
shank. The expensive bits MIGHT have a heavier black-oxide coating but
black-ox work is jobbed out by the pound and is just for pretty ... it's
an anti-oxidant coating, no more, no less.

"Made in Austria" might carry some weight ... but, for a $50 per bit
difference, I don't care if they were made by the Keebler elves! A
couple thousand holes from now I might regret those words, but a couple
thousand holes from now I'll probably just buy another LV drill and keep
on truckin'.

Hey Lee ... with minor hand sharpening, I'm expecting at least 2,000
holes in medium hardwood out of those bits --- think I'll get it? ;-)

Maybe someday I'll try that other bit, but for today, I'm placing an
order with LV. Those other bits are for guys who have laser cross-hairs
on their hand drills.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000758-3, 07/22/2007
Tested on: 7/22/2007 11:00:15 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

In article , BillinDetroit wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
BillinDetroit wrote:

Am looking for a way to make a 1 1/2" dia. hole, ~1 1/2" deep with
minimal bottom indentation (flat-bottomed hole). I have a 1/2 hp drill
press and a 3/4 hp lathe.

How many ways can you say "Forstner bit"?

Lew

I was hoping I'd overlooked something. An inch and a half Forstner into
a small piece (no two alike so fixturing is 'iffy') might make for an
interesting work holding exercise.

I wanted to avoid that.

No vise? No clamps? Can you drill the hole first, in a larger piece, and then
cut off the small workpiece you need?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

You mentioned needing the bit yesterday. If you live in a sizeable city you
should be able to find a Forstner bit there. Check with the local hard wood
lumber yard, Grainger's, Sears?, or just about any Woodworking supply store.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:21:58 GMT, "Leon" wrote:

You mentioned needing the bit yesterday. If you live in a sizeable city you
should be able to find a Forstner bit there. Check with the local hard wood
lumber yard, Grainger's, Sears?, or just about any Woodworking supply store.

Right... and if you're only going to use it once or twice, buy a cheap one at
the BORG..

I bought the large saw-tooth set a harbor freight years ago as a good place to
start... great assortment of saws and about $50 on sale..

As I wear one out, I know it's a size that I use often and I replace it with a
"name brand" bit..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:39:37 -0400, BillinDetroit
wrote:

I was hoping I'd overlooked something. An inch and a half Forstner into
a small piece (no two alike so fixturing is 'iffy') might make for an
interesting work holding exercise.

I wanted to avoid that.

Bill

What size stuff are you drilling into, Bill?

Small enough to chuck in the lathe, or larger?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

I was hoping I'd overlooked something. An inch and a half Forstner into
a small piece (no two alike so fixturing is 'iffy') might make for an
interesting work holding exercise.

I wanted to avoid that.

Bill

What size stuff are you drilling into, Bill?

Small enough to chuck in the lathe, or larger?

mac

A range of about 4" to 6" for use with those tiny little oil lamps.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000759-0, 07/23/2007
Tested on: 7/23/2007 2:46:27 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

I was hoping I'd overlooked something. An inch and a half Forstner into
a small piece (no two alike so fixturing is 'iffy') might make for an
interesting work holding exercise.

I wanted to avoid that.

Bill

What size stuff are you drilling into, Bill?

Small enough to chuck in the lathe, or larger?

mac

A range of about 4" to 6" for use with those tiny little oil lamps.

Bill

Ok... too big for the lathe unless you have a real big chuck.. *g*

I usually use the center finder and punch on 'em (you probably have done that
already) and put a bar clamp on them, then clamp the bar clamp to the DP table
with spring clamps..