Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
[email protected] bridgerfafc@yahoo.com is offline

Default Minimal bottom nib

On Jul 22, 4:54 pm, BillinDetroit wrote:
Am looking for a way to make a 1 1/2" dia. hole, ~1 1/2" deep with
minimal bottom indentation (flat-bottomed hole). I have a 1/2 hp drill
press and a 3/4 hp lathe.

38 mm is also acceptable.

I want to make the hole in one pass. This is not a critical appearance
item but, of course, better is better.

What is my best choice of drill bit and who, if you know, has them for
yesterday delivery?

Bill

3 approaches come to mind.

1) quick-and-dirty: for a small number of holes, for cheap and good
enough results grind a spade bit to what you need.

2) go buy a forstner bit. see other replies.

3) plunge router, straight bit with template guides and template. this
is the slowest, best results and second cheapest (not counting the
router...)