Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Minimal bottom nib

You mentioned needing the bit yesterday. If you live in a sizeable city you
should be able to find a Forstner bit there. Check with the local hard wood
lumber yard, Grainger's, Sears?, or just about any Woodworking supply store.

"BillinDetroit" wrote in message

Yeah, Andy ... a BIG help!

Compare the Lee Valley prices with these.

http://www.toolcenter.com/MULTI-SPUR_BITS.html

My eyes are getting old ... so maybe I just can't see where the $50
difference comes in. The Lee Valley bits even look to have a heavier
shank. The expensive bits MIGHT have a heavier black-oxide coating but
black-ox work is jobbed out by the pound and is just for pretty ... it's
an anti-oxidant coating, no more, no less.

"Made in Austria" might carry some weight ... but, for a $50 per bit
difference, I don't care if they were made by the Keebler elves! A couple
thousand holes from now I might regret those words, but a couple thousand
holes from now I'll probably just buy another LV drill and keep on
truckin'.

Hey Lee ... with minor hand sharpening, I'm expecting at least 2,000 holes
in medium hardwood out of those bits --- think I'll get it? ;-)

Maybe someday I'll try that other bit, but for today, I'm placing an order
with LV. Those other bits are for guys who have laser cross-hairs on their
hand drills.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000758-3, 07/22/2007
Tested on: 7/22/2007 11:00:15 PM