Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
BillinDetroit BillinDetroit is offline

Default Minimal bottom nib

Andy wrote:
What is my best choice of drill bit and who, if you know, has them for
yesterday delivery?

I like Lee Valley forstner bits, and in my experience they ship quite
quickly. (However I'm in NY, same state as their shipping warehouse,
but regardless, they process orders quickly).
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240

Yeah, Andy ... a BIG help!

Compare the Lee Valley prices with these.

http://www.toolcenter.com/MULTI-SPUR_BITS.html

My eyes are getting old ... so maybe I just can't see where the $50
difference comes in. The Lee Valley bits even look to have a heavier
shank. The expensive bits MIGHT have a heavier black-oxide coating but
black-ox work is jobbed out by the pound and is just for pretty ... it's
an anti-oxidant coating, no more, no less.

"Made in Austria" might carry some weight ... but, for a $50 per bit
difference, I don't care if they were made by the Keebler elves! A
couple thousand holes from now I might regret those words, but a couple
thousand holes from now I'll probably just buy another LV drill and keep
on truckin'.

Hey Lee ... with minor hand sharpening, I'm expecting at least 2,000
holes in medium hardwood out of those bits --- think I'll get it? ;-)

Maybe someday I'll try that other bit, but for today, I'm placing an
order with LV. Those other bits are for guys who have laser cross-hairs
on their hand drills.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000758-3, 07/22/2007
Tested on: 7/22/2007 11:00:15 PM