Default Minimal bathroom...

Hi,

I'm planning to construct a small bathroom (washstand, toilet, and a
minmal shower) in a very reduced space. How can I arrange these three
pieces to minimize the space occupied by them? Can anybody point me to
some drawings?

Thanks in advance
Sammy

Greetings,

Check out the "Floor Plans" section to look at how people solved a
simular space problem.
http://www.mcltd.com/Product%20Gallery.htm

Hope this helps,
William

Use a pocket door and you can sqeeze those three devices into a 4x10
space or smaller if you desire...

PipeDown

you will need min 15" clearance to each sideof the toilet and 24" in front.
A 30" circle clearance for the shower is generally required.
Beyond that pedistal sinks take less space than vanity sinks

Usually the shower goes at the far end of the room as three sides are closed
and the sink and toilet go wherever they fit to allow the door to operate
and satisfy code clearances.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm planning to construct a small bathroom (washstand, toilet, and a
minmal shower) in a very reduced space. How can I arrange these three
pieces to minimize the space occupied by them? Can anybody point me to
some drawings?

Thanks in advance
Sammy

tom.jenkins

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm planning to construct a small bathroom (washstand, toilet, and a
minmal shower) in a very reduced space. How can I arrange these three
pieces to minimize the space occupied by them? Can anybody point me to
some drawings?

Thanks in advance
Sammy

A little more information about the space you have would help us help you
better. There are many ways this can be arranged.

We live with toilet, sink, & shower in 48 by 99 inches.
Toilet tank slips under corian counter with integral sink.
Extended toilet bowl projects about 20 inches.
24 inches clear to 32 inch deep shower.
TB

Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
We live with toilet, sink, & shower in 48 by 99 inches.
Toilet tank slips under corian counter with integral sink.
Extended toilet bowl projects about 20 inches.
24 inches clear to 32 inch deep shower.
TB

I have one about the same size with a short tub/shower, small sink and
toilet. It is cozy and definitely a one person bathroom.

Colbyt

SammyBar

A little more information about the space you have would help us help you
better. There are many ways this can be arranged.

This is the question. We have a small sleep room about 10 x 13''. We want to
extend it by additional 3-4'' on one wall. I'd like to add a small bathroom
to the room without sacrificing the room space. So the question is how small
can a bathroom and still remain comfortable. I remember in japanese hotels I
wondered how small the bathroom were, and even they had a bathtub. So the
size of the projected bathroom can be increased at expense of the sleep room
but I think it is better to have a bigger room...

Thanks for the answers. I'm still looking for the appropriate size...
Sammy

Pat

My suggestion is to combine the washstand with the toilet and shower,
as follows. Make a big hole in the floor to be the toilet and, at the
same time, to be a drain for water. Urinate and defecate into that
hole. Place a shower and a water faucet above that hole. When it is
time to wash your hands, simply use the faucet. For showering, simply
stand near the hole, being careful not to step into it. If you have
extra money, you can place a temporary grate above that hole when
showering, to avoid accidentally slipping into the hole. Keep a bucket
of water handy to wash down excrement and toilet paper after defecation.

Truly minimal bathroom however I think the original post only referred to a
minimal shower.

Dee

How about a corner shower, small pedestal sink and toilet?

Philip Lewis

"SammyBar" writes:
We have a small sleep room about 10 x 13''. We want to extend it by
additional 3-4'' on one wall.

Which wall?

add a small bathroom to the room without sacrificing the room space.

See, more info changes the approach some.

Knowing that it is a "subroom" and that you want to keep as much
bedroom space as possible means new possibilities are possible.

The shower can be in the corner of the room with the "step out of the
shower" space into the main bedroom itself. This is space that
doesn't have to be taken from the bedroom.

The sink can be in the bedroom itself. I've seen many vanities in
master bedrooms. This makes the sink area part of the bedroom space,
which means the bedroom space seems larger.

That leaves the toilet.

It all depends on what level of privacy/ventilation you require.
You might be able to get away with tucking it behind a half wall.
Certainly making the room appear larger.

Depending on code, you might have to classify the whole room as a
bathroom.... bathroom that you just happen to be able to sleep in.
(Heck, this might even lower your taxes, depending on how they
calculate it) This means all outlets will have to be GFCI protected.
(not too bad if you have 1 gfci and feed the rest from it)

Talk to your local building inspector to see if their are requirements
which would prevent you from doing this of course... S/he will have
knowledge of any problems with the plan.

--
be safe.
flip

SammyBar

The shower can be in the corner of the room with the "step out of the
shower" space into the main bedroom itself. This is space that
doesn't have to be taken from the bedroom.

The sink can be in the bedroom itself. I've seen many vanities in
master bedrooms. This makes the sink area part of the bedroom space,
which means the bedroom space seems larger.

Really I don't like the idea of "mixing" the bathroom and the bedroom. Id'
like them totally separated. Anyway thanks for your comments. I appreciate
it.

Depending on code, you might have to classify the whole room as a
bathroom....

I wonder how much in the US you are worried about construction codes. In my
country (Mexico) nobody cares about them. I suppouse they should exists but
I never heard nobody mentioning them.

G Henslee

SammyBar wrote:

I wonder how much in the US you are worried about construction codes. In my
country (Mexico) nobody cares about them. I suppouse they should exists but
I never heard nobody mentioning them.

Well then maybe Ignoramus was onto something afterall...
RicodJour

I'm planning to construct a small bathroom (washstand, toilet, and a
minmal shower) in a very reduced space. How can I arrange these three
pieces to minimize the space occupied by them? Can anybody point me to
some drawings?

http://www.646industries.com/beyond_...oiletsink.html

That saves some room - not sure how a plumbing inspector would feel
about it. It also saves water - you use it twice.

In some European countries they build wet bathrooms. There is no
separation/curb at the shower - just a shower curtain. Of course
there's a drain in the slightly sloped floor and the floor has to be
waterproofed. That allows you to push the curtain out of the way when
you're not showering and t opens up the space. Similar to how they do
it in smaller sailboats and RVs. If you want to go small that's the
way to do it.

All of this depends on whether you need a permit and plumbing
inspection and how the inspector will feel about all of this.

Philip Lewis

"RicodJour" writes:
http://www.646industries.com/beyond_...oiletsink.html

not sure why i didn't see this when i was google searching the other
day on the subject...
Some other links:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/main...es/001553.html
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/bath_...2flav_20combos
Then of course, there is the "Serenity" toilet/lav.
They are built into file cabinet like things... they just pull out
when needed. This of course, might just be the Firefly[*] art department
concept though.
[*] Good show, I can't wait to see the movie.

--
be safe.
flip
Remove origin of the word spam from address to reply (leave "+")

venting for additional bathroom davidmc Home Repair 6 April 25th 05 09:22 PM
Bathroom fans improperly vented jeff Home Repair 11 June 4th 04 05:30 PM
Bathroom Mirror. Terry Home Repair 2 May 2nd 04 10:42 PM
Bathroom Paint - Required? Charles Middleton UK diy 7 March 12th 04 01:08 AM
Wood Floor in Bathroom Rob Gray Home Repair 5 February 23rd 04 04:28 AM