Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default How do you interest your wife in woodturning?

I have been trying to get my wife interested in woodturning to no avail. I
tried to interest her by asking her things like, do you think the grain on
this leg would be a good match for this one? Or which bowl shape do you
think would be nice for this blank? All I get for an answer is your the
turner you decide. So my question is how do you guys get your better
halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Tom, Probably the same way that she got you interested in her
interests and hobbies. IMHO, some things are best left alone to
progress or not.

More to your question, you could sell a turning and give her the money
to buy something she wants but hesitates to buy or you could buy it for
her. That ought to excite her interest in helping to make your work sell
for more.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"T. Dougall" wrote in message
I have been trying to get my wife interested in woodturning to no avail. I
tried to interest her by asking her things like, do you think the grain on
this leg would be a good match for this one? Or which bowl shape do you
think would be nice for this blank? All I get for an answer is your the
turner you decide. So my question is how do you guys get your better
halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?

Tom

The quickest (not necessarily the cheapest) way would be to find a woman who
likes woodturning and MARRY her......:-)
--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:50:17 GMT, "T. Dougall"
wrote:

I have been trying to get my wife interested in woodturning to no avail. I
tried to interest her by asking her things like, do you think the grain on
this leg would be a good match for this one? Or which bowl shape do you
think would be nice for this blank? All I get for an answer is your the
turner you decide. So my question is how do you guys get your better
halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?

Tom

I dragged my wife to the New York Scroll Saw picnic this summer. I had
to take her to her favorite out of the way craft store first, but it
was not that far off this path, so that wasn't too difficult. There
were two Jet mini-lathes being shown off, one turning Christmas
ornaments, the other making bowls and plates. She ended up buying a
pine salad bowl and that operator gave her an unfinished cherry saucer
that fit under it very nicely. Now she wants me to run out and buy a
lathe so I can make her some more. She made sure to get the info from
the booth that had all of the hardwood blocks. She also wants me to
use it to make some crochet hooks, since her favorite hook maker
retired a while back and she needs some new ones.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"T. Dougall" wrote in message
I have been trying to get my wife interested in woodturning to no avail. I
tried to interest her by asking her things like, do you think the grain on
this leg would be a good match for this one? Or which bowl shape do you
think would be nice for this blank? All I get for an answer is your the
turner you decide. So my question is how do you guys get your better
halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?

Tom

This is a slippery slope... one guy in my club got his wife interested. All
of the sudden the Jet Midi wasn't enough and they got a One Way. The wife
has taken it over and the guy has to wait his turn. ;~) The wife comes to
all of our meetings and to guest speaker presentations... she seems to be
into it more than he is!

As another poster suggested, if that's what you want perhaps you have to
marry the right one... this is the second go around for both of them and
they get along tremendously to the point where others are envious.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"T. Dougall" wrote: (clip) So my question is how do you guys get your
better halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've been married 57 years, so maybe my advice is worth something. My wife
and I have many common interests, which we enjoy together. We also have our
individual interests, which we enjoy separately. I think your wife has made
it clear that woodturning does not excite her. Be happy if she admires
YOUR work--that's probably as far as you can take it.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"T. Dougall" wrote: (clip) So my question is how do you guys get your
better halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've been married 57 years, so maybe my advice is worth something. My
wife and I have many common interests, which we enjoy together. We also
have our individual interests, which we enjoy separately. I think your
wife has made it clear that woodturning does not excite her. Be happy if
she admires YOUR work--that's probably as far as you can take it.

Sounds like our deal. I don't sew, she doesn't turn, both do shows
together.

Women sew, I can't even mend straight....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

This is like trying to teach someone to like brussel sprouts or tofu.
Much of what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. Forcing
it down their throats will never work.

T. Dougall wrote:
I have been trying to get my wife interested in woodturning to no avail. I
tried to interest her by asking her things like, do you think the grain on
this leg would be a good match for this one? Or which bowl shape do you
think would be nice for this blank? All I get for an answer is your the
turner you decide. So my question is how do you guys get your better
halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

So my question is how do you guys get your better halves interested
in what you are doing on the lathe?

Two things: one, which has already been said, you probably can't
interest someone in something they aren't interested in. More
importantly, YOU probably can't interest your spouse in something
YOU'RE interested in. Like teaching a wife to drive. uh, uh.

Secondly, I'm aware of at least a couple of spouses who accompanied
their partner to woodworking get-togethers where lathe demoing was
done, and the spouse was put in the hands of an experienced turner
while the partner walked away and let the other turner work his/her
magic. I'm not sure which is more expensive: a divorce, or a second
turner in the household.

WoodCentral, my alternate home (as well as a few other wreckers), has
several folks who host such gatherings. There's one coming up in Indy
in a couple of weeks, and turning will be a large part of it. I went
to the Indy one about 3½ years ago, and there were at least a half
dozen lathes in use (including a Stubby, but don't expect that this
year).

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

I have been trying to get my wife interested in woodturning to no avail. I
tried to interest her by asking her things like, do you think the grain on
this leg would be a good match for this one? Or which bowl shape do you
think would be nice for this blank? All I get for an answer is your the
turner you decide. So my question is how do you guys get your better
halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?

Tom

My guess is that spouses are either interested or not.. and it can't be
forced... Maybe the best you're going to get is that she likes some of your
stuff enough to display it in the house..

I guess I'm pretty lucky because my wife not only is very involved in my
turning, but likes to spend time in the shop..
We both love wood and when I tried turning a chunk of firewood into a bowl after
reading Derrel's page, she loved it.. (she had no idea that I'd been turning for
years)

Things progressed pretty fast after that... a jet mini for Christmas, help 6
months later shopping for the jet 1442, encouraging me to spend money for more
and better tools, etc...

She does the wood burning on all the stuff, from my name and the year to designs
and highlights... and also has a really good eye for little shape details and is
willing to come out in the shop when I need advise...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:28:25 GMT, "George" wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"T. Dougall" wrote: (clip) So my question is how do you guys get your
better halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've been married 57 years, so maybe my advice is worth something. My
wife and I have many common interests, which we enjoy together. We also
have our individual interests, which we enjoy separately. I think your
wife has made it clear that woodturning does not excite her. Be happy if
she admires YOUR work--that's probably as far as you can take it.

Sounds like our deal. I don't sew, she doesn't turn, both do shows
together.

Women sew, I can't even mend straight....

Sewing is not that tough, George... think of the sewing machine as a band saw..
*g*

My wife helped me make a couple of shop aprons and I actually found myself
enjoying running the machine... I didn't do it well, but it was interesting..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Member

Location: Halesworth, Suffolk.uk

My shed is my only place where i can have personal R & R, inviting her into your last retreat could be fatal. You would only be left with the dog house to hide in :-)
If she's not interested best left alone.
Mark
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mac davis" wrote in message
Women sew, I can't even mend straight....

Sewing is not that tough, George... think of the sewing machine as a band
saw..
*g*

My wife helped me make a couple of shop aprons and I actually found myself
enjoying running the machine... I didn't do it well, but it was
interesting..

Read the last line quickly, and out loud.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Be very careful. She thinks my shop is too dirty and crowded. So now
she has her own building, lathe, grinder, bandsaw, tools, supplies,
drill press, wood, chainsaw, DC, vacuum, etc. Two admissions to
symposiums. VERY EXPENSIVE!! However after 39 years I'll keep her. No,
she does not have a sister.

Bill in WNC mountains

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

T. Dougall wrote:
I have been trying to get my wife interested in woodturning to no avail. I
tried to interest her by asking her things like, do you think the grain on
this leg would be a good match for this one? Or which bowl shape do you
think would be nice for this blank? All I get for an answer is your the
turner you decide. So my question is how do you guys get your better
halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?

Tom

Tom, you gotta think this one through - if you teach your wife to turn,
you won't get too, all your prime wood will disappear, and you'll be
stuck clean up sawdust and doing dishes. Is that *really* what you
want? g

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill wrote:
Be very careful. She thinks my shop is too dirty and crowded. So now
she has her own building, lathe, grinder, bandsaw, tools, supplies,
drill press, wood, chainsaw, DC, vacuum, etc. Two admissions to
symposiums. VERY EXPENSIVE!! However after 39 years I'll keep her. No,
she does not have a sister.

Bill in WNC mountains

But Will she keep YOU?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 18:39:28 GMT, "George" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
Women sew, I can't even mend straight....

Sewing is not that tough, George... think of the sewing machine as a band
saw..
*g*

My wife helped me make a couple of shop aprons and I actually found myself
enjoying running the machine... I didn't do it well, but it was
interesting..

Read the last line quickly, and out loud.

Huh?? I know it's Monday morning, but I guess that went over my head??

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

O.K guys enough.
I just wanted to have something else we could do together, but thinking
about all you have said maybe best leave well alone. At least I don't have
to share my lathe or wood or tools now, do I? Anyway after fifty one years
of marriage I don't really need to see more of her.

Tom

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
T. Dougall wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

one thought...

I enjoy making things.

My wife enjoys trying to sell them. Otherwise the house would fill up.

T. Dougall wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mac davis" wrote in message
Women sew, I can't even mend straight....

Sewing is not that tough, George... think of the sewing machine as a
band
saw..
*g*

My wife helped me make a couple of shop aprons and I actually found
myself
enjoying running the machine... I didn't do it well, but it was
interesting..

Read the last line quickly, and out loud.

Huh?? I know it's Monday morning, but I guess that went over my head??

Old joke. Mend straight = menstruate. More or less distinguishes us from
the women.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin Miller wrote:
T. Dougall wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I normally just lurk, but I had to chime in on this one. Do you
mean to tell me that you don't have to clean up sawdust and wash
dishes? Really? Wanna trade wives? I seem to spend a lot of time doing
both. I want a roomba.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

George wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
Women sew, I can't even mend straight....

Sewing is not that tough, George... think of the sewing machine as a
band
saw..
*g*

My wife helped me make a couple of shop aprons and I actually found
myself
enjoying running the machine... I didn't do it well, but it was
interesting..

Read the last line quickly, and out loud.

Huh?? I know it's Monday morning, but I guess that went over my head??

Old joke. Mend straight = menstruate. More or less distinguishes us
from the women.

Thanks George. I kept trying to figure out the play on words in

"My wife helped me make a couple of shop aprons and I actually found
myself enjoying running the machine... I didn't do it well, but it was
interesting"

That was the last line in the previous post. We can all sleep easy again...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Registered Linux User No: 307357
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

T. Dougall wrote:
I have been trying to get my wife interested in woodturning to no avail.
I tried to interest her by asking her things like, do you think the grain on
this leg would be a good match for this one? Or which bowl shape do you
think would be nice for this blank? All I get for an answer is your the
turner you decide. So my question is how do you guys get your better
halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?

Tom

Sorry Tom,I can't offer much help here. Besides, it seems you have
already received plenty of suggestions anyway.

T. Dougall wrote:
O.K guys enough.
I just wanted to have something else we could do together, but thinking
about all you have said maybe best leave well alone. At least I don't have
to share my lathe or wood or tools now, do I? Anyway after fifty one years
of marriage I don't really need to see more of her.

Tom

I do have a question though... How do I get my husband interested in
woodworking? I'm not worried about my tools, that's what my locking
tool chest is for. Do I already see too much of him? Well, no,
although I would like to see a little less of the mess that follows.

And Tom... just days shy of 52 years of marriage, one of the last
things my father said to me was he could leave everything else behind,
except his wife. If I had one mentor in life, he was/is it.

`Casper
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:01:29 -0800, Kevin Miller
wrote:

George wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Kevin.. I thought it was just me.. *lol*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Jerry wrote:

Sorry, I normally just lurk, but I had to chime in on this one. Do you
mean to tell me that you don't have to clean up sawdust and wash
dishes? Really? Wanna trade wives? I seem to spend a lot of time doing
both. I want a roomba.

Well, I do have to clean up *my* sawdust. But I also get to make it.
The kids do the dishes. Well, most of the time anyway...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Registered Linux User No: 307357

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

I have been trying to get my wife interested in woodturning to no avail. I
tried to interest her by asking her things like, do you think the grain on
this leg would be a good match for this one? Or which bowl shape do you
think would be nice for this blank? All I get for an answer is your the
turner you decide. So my question is how do you guys get your better
halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?

Maybe she's just not into it- no big deal. My wife wasn't interested
in anything woodworking related until after we got married, but she
ended up developing an interest in scrollsawing and pyrography, as
well as making small jewelry-type boxes- the first two being things I
really just don't do. She tried out the lathe once and declared that
it was fun, but hasn't given it a second look since.

No great loss- I like having my turnery to myself, and her lack of
interest in my lathes doesn't bother me a bit.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

[...]

Interesting point that dragged something from the memory banks.....
My wife kept telling me that pen turning looked like fun and that I should try
it... I didn't really consider it until she mentioned that maybe SHE'D try it if
I wasn't interested.. *g*

I really enjoy and appreciate my wife's company in the shop... she also does
pyrography (wood burning with higher price tag) and some carving, so we get to
spend time together without having to share our tools.. *g*
The crossover is fun, too.. she puts my name and info on bowls and I run her
stuff through the band saw when they need trimming or help her frame them...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:50:17 +0000, T. Dougall wrote:

I have been trying to get my wife interested in woodturning to no avail. I
tried to interest her by asking her things like, do you think the grain on
this leg would be a good match for this one? Or which bowl shape do you
think would be nice for this blank? All I get for an answer is your the
turner you decide. So my question is how do you guys get your better
halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?

Tom

Show her the bill for the tools & materials and the price you get for the
finished work.

;-)

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 19:36:03 -0000, "Bill" wrote:

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:50:17 +0000, T. Dougall wrote:

I have been trying to get my wife interested in woodturning to no avail. I
tried to interest her by asking her things like, do you think the grain on
this leg would be a good match for this one? Or which bowl shape do you
think would be nice for this blank? All I get for an answer is your the
turner you decide. So my question is how do you guys get your better
halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?

Tom

Show her the bill for the tools & materials and the price you get for the
finished work.

;-)

Bill

Sounds like a good way to NEVER get another tool.. rofl
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 07:24:35 -0700, mac davis wrote:

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 19:36:03 -0000, "Bill" wrote:

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:50:17 +0000, T. Dougall wrote:

I have been trying to get my wife interested in woodturning to no avail. I
tried to interest her by asking her things like, do you think the grain on
this leg would be a good match for this one? Or which bowl shape do you
think would be nice for this blank? All I get for an answer is your the
turner you decide. So my question is how do you guys get your better
halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?

Tom

Show her the bill for the tools & materials and the price you get for the
finished work.

;-)

Bill

Sounds like a good way to NEVER get another tool.. rofl
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

My missus actually suggested that I needed a better lathe!

Do I know how to pick 'em or what? ;-)

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
bf bf is offline

T. Dougall wrote:
I have been trying to get my wife interested in woodturning to no avail. I
tried to interest her by asking her things like, do you think the grain on
this leg would be a good match for this one? Or which bowl shape do you
think would be nice for this blank? All I get for an answer is your the
turner you decide. So my question is how do you guys get your better
halves interested in what you are doing on the lathe?

You have to accept that she's simply not interested. If she's not
interested, you can't force her. It's hard to realize that when you are
passionate about a hobby.

Look at it from her point of view. If she started collecting bottle
caps, you'd probably feign interest when she talks about her collection
and support her hobby, but I doubt you'd want to start your own
colllection (one that is genuinely yours.. ie pick up the hobby). You'd
probably keep an eye out for pieces for her collection and get pleasure
from that (since it makes her happy), but you wouldn't be as excited
about it as she is.